Changing Default folder action

I added an action to "File Folder" in the File Types tab of the Folder
Options setting (Windows Explorer | Tools | Folder Options) -- a handy
little batch file that prints a directory listing of the folder contents.
This batch file is actually available in the XP Help files that came with my
Dell. Somehow the Search Action also was added to the actions list for File
Folder and that has become the default action for File Folders. How do I
REMOVE thisaction from the File Folder settings? There doesn't seem to be a
way...

Chuck
6 answers Last reply
More about changing default folder action

    Type in Start Run
    regsvr32 /i shell32

    http://www.newmatilda.com/home/default.asp
    "Chuck" <chuckp@hnoc.org> wrote in message news:u2A27vDkEHA.1404@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
    > I added an action to "File Folder" in the File Types tab of the Folder
    > Options setting (Windows Explorer | Tools | Folder Options) -- a handy
    > little batch file that prints a directory listing of the folder contents.
    > This batch file is actually available in the XP Help files that came with my
    > Dell. Somehow the Search Action also was added to the actions list for File
    > Folder and that has become the default action for File Folders. How do I
    > REMOVE thisaction from the File Folder settings? There doesn't seem to be a
    > way...
    >
    > Chuck

    Thanks. That was pretty cool. What did I just do, exactly? (and yea, I did
    back up the registry before I did it...)

    Chuck

    "David Candy" <david@mvps.org> wrote in message
    Type in Start Run
    regsvr32 /i shell32

    http://www.newmatilda.com/home/default.asp
    "Chuck" <chuckp@hnoc.org> wrote in message
    > I added an action to "File Folder" in the File Types tab of the Folder
    > Options setting (Windows Explorer | Tools | Folder Options) -- a handy
    > little batch file that prints a directory listing of the folder contents.
    > This batch file is actually available in the XP Help files that came with
    my
    > Dell. Somehow the Search Action also was added to the actions list for
    File
    > Folder and that has become the default action for File Folders. How do I
    > REMOVE thisaction from the File Folder settings? There doesn't seem to be
    > way...
    >
    > Chuck

    Reregistered the windows shell32 dll, the heart (with shdocvw and explorer.exre) of what you see on your screen.

    You caused the problem by editing file folders in the file types dialog. It thinks it on an older version of windows but the rules changed slightly in XP and as a result a prior to XP entry forces XP to choose the first verb it can find rather than open.

    "Chuck" <chuckp@hnoc.org> wrote in message news:%234yZA2GkEHA.3912@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
    > Thanks. That was pretty cool. What did I just do, exactly? (and yea, I did
    > back up the registry before I did it...)
    >
    > Chuck
    >
    > "David Candy" <david@mvps.org> wrote in message
    > Type in Start Run
    > regsvr32 /i shell32

    > http://www.newmatilda.com/home/default.asp
    > "Chuck" <chuckp@hnoc.org> wrote in message
    > > I added an action to "File Folder" in the File Types tab of the Folder
    > > Options setting (Windows Explorer | Tools | Folder Options) -- a handy
    > > little batch file that prints a directory listing of the folder contents.
    > > This batch file is actually available in the XP Help files that came with
    > my
    > > Dell. Somehow the Search Action also was added to the actions list for
    > File
    > > Folder and that has become the default action for File Folders. How do I
    > > REMOVE thisaction from the File Folder settings? There doesn't seem to be
    > > way...
    > >
    > > Chuck

    A magical command, which rebuilds many missing registry values (to factory
    defaults), without affecting the User settings much. Longer method:
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=321186

    --
    Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    Window XP Shell/User

    "Chuck" <chuckp@hnoc.org> wrote in message
    Thanks. That was pretty cool. What did I just do, exactly? (and yea, I did
    back up the registry before I did it...)

    Chuck

    "David Candy" <david@mvps.org> wrote in message
    Type in Start Run
    regsvr32 /i shell32

    http://www.newmatilda.com/home/default.asp
    "Chuck" <chuckp@hnoc.org> wrote in message
    > I added an action to "File Folder" in the File Types tab of the Folder
    > Options setting (Windows Explorer | Tools | Folder Options) -- a handy
    > little batch file that prints a directory listing of the folder contents.
    > This batch file is actually available in the XP Help files that came with
    my
    > Dell. Somehow the Search Action also was added to the actions list for
    File
    > Folder and that has become the default action for File Folders. How do I
    > REMOVE thisaction from the File Folder settings? There doesn't seem to be
    > way...
    >
    > Chuck

    Thanks to both of you. I appreciate the pointer to the Knowledgebase article
    and the explanation of what happened when I changed the folder options.

    Chuck

    > A magical command, which rebuilds many missing registry values (to factory
    > defaults), without affecting the User settings much. Longer method:
    > http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=321186
    >
    > --
    > Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    > Window XP Shell/User
    > http://www.mvps.org/sramesh2k
    >

    > "Chuck" <chuckp@hnoc.org> wrote in message
    > Thanks. That was pretty cool. What did I just do, exactly? (and yea, I did
    > back up the registry before I did it...)
    >
    > Chuck
    >
    > "David Candy" <david@mvps.org> wrote in message
    > Type in Start Run
    > regsvr32 /i shell32

    > http://www.newmatilda.com/home/default.asp
    > "Chuck" <chuckp@hnoc.org> wrote in message
    > > I added an action to "File Folder" in the File Types tab of the Folder
    > > Options setting (Windows Explorer | Tools | Folder Options) -- a handy
    > > little batch file that prints a directory listing of the folder
    contents.
    > > This batch file is actually available in the XP Help files that came
    with
    > my
    > > Dell. Somehow the Search Action also was added to the actions list for
    > File
    > > Folder and that has become the default action for File Folders. How do I
    > > REMOVE thisaction from the File Folder settings? There doesn't seem to
    be
    > > way...
    > >
    > > Chuck

    You're welcome.

    --
    Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    Window XP Shell/User

    Thanks to both of you. I appreciate the pointer to the Knowledgebase article
    and the explanation of what happened when I changed the folder options.

    Chuck

    > A magical command, which rebuilds many missing registry values (to factory
    > defaults), without affecting the User settings much. Longer method:
    > http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=321186
    >
    > --
    > Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    > Window XP Shell/User
    > http://www.mvps.org/sramesh2k
    >

    > "Chuck" <chuckp@hnoc.org> wrote in message
    > Thanks. That was pretty cool. What did I just do, exactly? (and yea, I did
    > back up the registry before I did it...)
    >
    > Chuck
    >
    > "David Candy" <david@mvps.org> wrote in message
    > Type in Start Run
    > regsvr32 /i shell32

    > http://www.newmatilda.com/home/default.asp
    > "Chuck" <chuckp@hnoc.org> wrote in message
    > > I added an action to "File Folder" in the File Types tab of the Folder
    > > Options setting (Windows Explorer | Tools | Folder Options) -- a handy
    > > little batch file that prints a directory listing of the folder
    contents.
    > > This batch file is actually available in the XP Help files that came
    with
    > my
    > > Dell. Somehow the Search Action also was added to the actions list for
    > File
    > > Folder and that has become the default action for File Folders. How do I
    > > REMOVE thisaction from the File Folder settings? There doesn't seem to
    be
    > > way...
    > >
    > > Chuck

Configuration Default Windows XP