Sign in with
Your question

Running Prime 95 & nervous.

Last response: in CPUs
April 5, 2012 11:40:22 PM

Alright, I am certainly not tech savvy at all. I'm 1 hour in on the Prime 95 with my i7 3820 quad. I have an Asetek 510LC closed loop LC, and so far on all four the max temps have reached 52c and I'll probably run it for two more hours. Minimum temps started at 22c. How high of a temp should I start getting worried? Like I'm not already, if you can't tell. :o 

This was a PC I ordered pre-built. Trying to learn more to where I can get into building & upgrading so hopefully this build will be a good upgrading learning experience. But I did order it with Extreme overclocking up to 20% or more.

More about : running prime nervous

April 5, 2012 11:48:40 PM

cpu be fine till aboot 70deg.
m
l
April 5, 2012 11:50:29 PM

Thanks. It seems to have stabilized at 52. So far. Fingers crossed.
m
l
Related resources
a c 375 à CPUs
April 6, 2012 2:54:24 AM

Are you overclocking? Why are you needing to stress test your processor?
m
l
April 6, 2012 3:02:54 AM

I bought it pre-built with overclocking up to 20%, but I'm not going to. Don't know how and don't want to risk it. A few people recommended it anyways. I'm guessing to test the CPU temps at a 100% load. One of these days I'll learn how to overclock though.
m
l
a c 375 à CPUs
April 6, 2012 3:09:56 AM

Does it have an after-market cooler? Stressing the CPU at 100% for extended periods with the stock cooler can be risky. But if the temps you report are accurate, it seems you have a cool running beast.
m
l
April 6, 2012 3:30:37 AM

I don't think so. It's all brand new. The only cooling system on there is the Asetek 510 120mm single fan). It's a "Gamer Infinity 8800 Pro SE" from Cyberpower with a few tweaks here and there, like I went with the Thermaltake Level 10 GT case. Extra fans, extra SSD. I'm not at all comfortable even attempting to build my own, so I went with Cyberpower. I'm certainly not "tech savvy" at all, but I'm hoping that I can start learning and upgrading here and there with this rig. I certainly don't plan on stressing the thing any more.
m
l
a c 375 à CPUs
April 6, 2012 3:38:35 AM

By 'cooler', I was referring to the heat-sync fan assembly on the processor.
m
l
April 6, 2012 3:47:43 AM

Yeah, I'm not sure if that would be aftermarket or not. Heck, I don't even know if I'd recognize it if saw it. I can identify pretty much everything else, but even in the specs they don't list the heat-sync assembly. So I'm guessing it's probably stock then.
m
l
a b à CPUs
April 6, 2012 3:49:57 AM

you are doing fine.have a beer :lol: 
m
l
April 6, 2012 3:56:22 AM

Wow ....gosh clutchc....you are a Vet on these forums...you should know better.

Yes. It is an aftermarket cooler. It does not come packaged with a stock cooler...much less close loop WC solution like Asetek 510.

He mentioned this on the initial post
m
l
April 6, 2012 4:00:56 AM

Yeah. Thanks, I think I will have a couple. Especially since Michael Jackson is really alive and told me too ;) 
m
l
a b à CPUs
April 6, 2012 4:02:41 AM

Well, normally to indetify whats your cooler, just see it, if its a tower like this
http://rwlabs.com/images/articles/cooler_master/hyper_2...

Is a good cooler, normally from another company that is no the chipe seller. Usually intel and amd uses this kind of cooler
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_BiPz2_46Jj0/Sv32iQY6J2I/AAAAA...

this kind of cooler blows down the air cooling the chip. But the problem is that this kind of heatsinks and coolers do not take out the warm air and sometims it builds up inside the case overheating comonetns, thas why the 1st kind of coolers are better, they suck air and take the hot air to the back or up of your case so the air dont builds up inside of it.

If you have an I7 probably your heatsink and cooler looks like this
https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/22...

It will be enough for some overcloking but dont abuse, you can fry something..
m
l
April 6, 2012 4:12:09 AM

horaciopz said:
Well, normally to indetify whats your cooler, just see it, if its a tower like this
http://rwlabs.com/images/articles/cooler_master/hyper_2...

Is a good cooler, normally from another company that is no the chipe seller. Usually intel and amd uses this kind of cooler
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_BiPz2_46Jj0/Sv32iQY6J2I/AAAAA...

this kind of cooler blows down the air cooling the chip. But the problem is that this kind of heatsinks and coolers do not take out the warm air and sometims it builds up inside the case overheating comonetns, thas why the 1st kind of coolers are better, they suck air and take the hot air to the back or up of your case so the air dont builds up inside of it.

If you have an I7 probably your heatsink and cooler looks like this
https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/22...

It will be enough for some overcloking but dont abuse, you can fry something..

I'm really starting to question whether anyone actually reads an entire post....

He already stated he has AN ASETEK 510 CLOSED LOOP COOLER.....

This is not stock....and FYI, those lga 2011 cpu's DO NOT come with a stock heatsink fan....therefore they are always aftermarket...
m
l
a b à CPUs
April 6, 2012 4:16:02 AM

Well he wanted to " learn" and the 1st to identify what kind of cooler he has. So thats why I posted. I missread about his cooler, thinking it was a kind of fan, but well is a watercooler system, thats even better he wont need to upgrade in a long time lol !
m
l
April 6, 2012 4:19:46 AM

horaciopz said:
Well he wanted to " learn" and the 1st to identify what kind of cooler he has. So thats why I posted. I missread about his cooler, thinking it was a kind of fan, but well is a watercooler system, thats even better he wont need to upgrade in a long time lol !

Yeh, definately regardless, it's some really good information you provided. Teach a man to fish.
m
l
April 6, 2012 4:27:58 AM

Well, that's a big relief then. I just looked and yep. I saw the black Asatek case with the LC tubes coming out and the wire from the case plugged into the CPU fan slot. Can't see a fan because of the casing (probably not one since it's WC). Still, after 4 hours the max temp on all but one was 54c (52c on the other) under 100% load. It seemed to stabilize right around there. The 10 GT has a ton of fans in this thing and it's certainly roomy enough. The 7970 was different looking than I'd expected. It has copper tubing all over it. Maybe I should post a pic or a link of the inside. Gotta get some sleep now. Thanks for all the help. I did learn quite a bit from this. I'll see if I can break out the camera tomorrow. I need to take some pics of this anyway.

Post Edit: Right, so I took pics. Instead of a new reply, I'm just editing this. I don't know if the links will work, but I uploaded them to "photobucket". So hopefully it'll work.

http://i1173.photobucket.com/albums/r586/SuperAxilla/00... This is the case opened. On the Level 10, I went with 2 HD's one 2 TB and one 16GB (generic crappy) SSD. The Standard 2T is top left sandwiched between the two fans. (This what all I can identify). The SSD is in slot 1 (not in the pic of the 10 GT case. Fan up at very top (colorshift = pretty cool) and a fan bottom right that glows blue and has this wicked blue lightning - like arc. Blue neon around the inside. Black case for the Asetek 510LC covering the CPU, Motherboard Gigabyte X79-UD3 stretches down from the back. (3way SLI ready, don't think I can do 4 way on it.) The AMD 7970 juts out in the middle. I could only ID it from looking at the bottom. It has copper tubing all over it, which I can't quite figure out), Bottom left power supply just a simple Raidmax 1000w AE. (That should be my 1st upgrade). At either side of the Asetek on the mobo are 4 blue Kingston HyperX 16GB (4x4) Quad Channel memory (yep I am a moron. I first thought these were the "4 Quad CPU's", So...now I know.) Unseen at far right is the LG Blue Ray DVD/CD/RW. There's a blue USB 3.0 that looks like it's coming from that and out of the back. Not sure what that it is (really short out the back), but it's hooked into one of the back 3.0 ports. I wish I'd gone with a thermal temp display and control that would be mounted over the Blue Ray, but maybe I can learn how to do it myself.

http://i1173.photobucket.com/albums/r586/SuperAxilla/00... Just the Thermaltake 10 GT. I love this case. You can see I haven't even taken the plastic film off the window. I went with it because not only was it really cool (with the colorshift fans) but also because of the 5 HD slots, the built in fans, lots of room inside and it seemed like it would run cooler. And...well BMW "co-built" it, or something. It's bigger than I thought.

http://i1173.photobucket.com/albums/r586/SuperAxilla/00... This is the set-up. I have a tremendous desk (office) in the basement, and it's cluttered but cool down there. Seems to fit underneath perfectly. Went with a Sceptre 27" widescreen 1920 x 1080 LCD which as of now I have it hooked via the VGA cable, but I'll probably switch to HDMI. And at the very top left out of the pic (unseen), is Richard Nixon's Gavel from when he was VP. I just like to play with it & pretend I'm presiding over Congress sometimes :pt1cable: 

And that's it. The only thing I cannot see is the IEEE 1394 Driver.

And this is NOT my car :)  http://i1173.photobucket.com/albums/r586/SuperAxilla/01... But since MJ is alive and posting on Tom's Hardware, I thought he would appreciate it.
m
l
a c 375 à CPUs
April 6, 2012 7:49:37 PM

ismaeljrp said:
Wow ....gosh clutchc....you are a Vet on these forums...you should know better.

Yes. It is an aftermarket cooler. It does not come packaged with a stock cooler...much less close loop WC solution like Asetek 510.

He mentioned this on the initial post

Being a Vet doesn't mean one is intelligent, it just means one is persistent... ;) 
m
l
April 7, 2012 12:56:43 AM

I think I'm going to start learning by installing an Aerocool V12XT Dual Bay Touch Screen Fan Control myself. It's the one thing I wish I'd added but did not. I think I can do it w/o screwing up. That and eventually the power supply, probably.
m
l
!