Download all firmware before building?

nebelwerfer41

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2011
I know it is customary to download all the latest drivers before building, but my HDD and optical drive have new firmware available. The Seagate site says to only DL and install if necessary. Is that the case?

yougotjaked

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2011
No I don't think so. It might be saying if to only download it if the drivers aren't already at the highest update. You may have just interpreted the wording wrong. If you give me a link I could read it myself! If you want the best performance, download the latest drivers. This will be sure that you are getting it's maximum performance!

nebelwerfer41

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2011

Linkage

"you should not consider firmware updates until after exploring more typical troubleshooting steps like file system error checking and anti-virus scanning."

It's customary to download all the latest drivers before building?? Never seen anyone do that before. Typically you build the computer first, load Windows, then download/install your drivers. The only firmware I've ever updated in 15yrs was for my dvd drive.

bucknutty

Distinguished
I never flashed the bios of a HD. I would do it just cause it sounds cool. I have flashed video cards with new and custom bios, DVD-RWs, a million mother boards... but never a hard drive. Seagate must have gone through the trouble of creating that new bios rom for a reason... It must improve or correct something... I would do it.

Whats the flash procedure? Boot off of a USB drive or CD with dos and run a seagate flash utility? If so it should be quick and easy. If you can flash from windows than thats even better.

bucknutty

Distinguished

I always recomend you download the network card driver to a USB drive or CD before you reinstall, or do a clean install of windows. Atleast that way if for some reason windows can install your network card automaticly you can install it and get back on the internet.