Sign in with
Your question

Gaming computer build will not start up

Last response: in Systems
December 29, 2011 12:18:35 AM

So I recently bought all my parts seperately but I made sure the parts are all compatible.

I have an Asus F1 A75-M LE motherboard, an A8-3850 Quad Core AMD 2.9GHz processor, DDR3 8GB RAM from Kingston HyperX, a 400W Diablotek ATX power supply DA series, and a HAF 912 Series case from Cooler Master.

I put it all together and I plugged the power supply in. I turned on the power on the power supply and the green LED on the board turned on but when I pressed the power button on the case, nothing happened. The fans included in the case are not running. I suspect it is the power supply that is the problem but I just wanted some other opinions.

Thanks.

EDIT: I apologize for my double post. When I first tried to post the first thread, it said it didn't successfully post..
a b ) Power supply
December 29, 2011 1:04:31 AM

First I would say to check all your connections. Did you plug in the connector for the CPU? Did you connect the front header connections correct?
m
l
December 29, 2011 1:19:48 AM

From what I know, I have. Uhm, there was some confusion with the two pin front header connectors. Usually the ground wire is white but that is only the case with one of the connectors(the reset button I believe) but on the power button, the ground wire is the colored one. I'm not sure if this is a marking mistake or if anybody else has noticed this..or what?
m
l
Related resources
a b ) Power supply
December 29, 2011 2:04:23 AM

The negative wire is usually black from my experiences while the positive wire is colored, such as red, blue, etc...
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
a c 243 ) Power supply
December 29, 2011 8:45:32 AM

purplepinata101 said:
From what I know, I have. Uhm, there was some confusion with the two pin front header connectors. Usually the ground wire is white but that is only the case with one of the connectors(the reset button I believe) but on the power button, the ground wire is the colored one. I'm not sure if this is a marking mistake or if anybody else has noticed this..or what?

Polarity doesn't matter for switches.

Diablowtek, not good dude
m
l
December 29, 2011 8:56:43 AM

Tut tut for not buying a branded PSU... might come back to bite you that one.

Check those fiddly little wires.. the motherboard manual should have that sorted out. Seems like that's your problem.

PS: You DID plug in all the mobo headers right? Any extra 4/8-pin apart from the classic 20/24-pin header?
m
l
December 29, 2011 12:51:38 PM

Delluser1:
My dad bought it for me and I don't think he has a firm grasp on the "you get what you pay for" concept. I mean really, even the high quality ones aren't that expensive...whatever.

N-dru: Yes, lol I did plug all the headers in. What do you mean extra 4/8 pin? I'm fairly new to building computers :I
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
a b ) Power supply
December 29, 2011 2:06:57 PM

Perform every step in the checklist found in my signature. It was created to troubleshoot this exact type of problem. The 4/8-pin connector mentioned by n-dru is step #2 on the checklist. That's easily the most common new builder mistake.
m
l
!