One short beep on startup (SOMETIMES) but no display!

jdavis85

Honorable
Jan 11, 2013
My system specs first:

RAM: 8GB
MOBO: ASUS Sabertooth 990FX
CPU: AMD 8120 Eight-Core
GPU: Radeon HD 7970
PSU: Rocketfish 900W (just swapped to Corsair TX850M)

I've tried searching for something similar, but none of the situations described quite matched what I was facing. This computer is not a new build -- I purchased the mobo, CPU, and RAM about 8-9 months ago and it has been working great without issues. Recently, I upgraded the GPU from a Radeon HD 5670, and it was working fine. I also recently had an error where the BIOS would not detect my SSD, but I was able to solve that by changing SATA cables and switching the SATA connectors from the PSU.

Anyway, last night, I wasn't doing anything stress-related, just updating mods for Skyrim when one of my displays turned black while the other turned a dark gray with lighter gray lines going up across the screen. The audio continued for a moment, then halted. I restarted and got a single, short beep but no display, the keyboard didn't light up, and neither did the mouse, but the fans and mobo LEDs were all on. I unplugged the comp and held down the power button for about a minute, then started up again and everything was fine. This happened again 2-3 times until the last time, when the screen turned white instead of dark gray. After that, there's been nothing. The computer sometimes gives a beep, sometimes it doesn't, but always no display.

I thought maybe it was my PSU and just changed it out this morning, but there's been no change. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

jdavis85

Honorable
Jan 11, 2013
UPDATE: It seems this post is now in the wrong section. I started looking at the LEDs on the mobo and noticed the VGA_LED was the only one that was remaining online. I swapped my GPU back to the Radeon HD 5670 that I had upgraded from and it came online.

Does this mean I need to RMA the card? Or is there just a conflict?

jdavis85

Honorable
Jan 11, 2013

Thanks for the response. It's just odd that it would suddenly break since it was running fine for about a week and a half and never went above 60 while playing Skyrim or Far Cry 3. I unfortunately don't have easy access to a second PC.