One short beep on startup (SOMETIMES) but no display!

My system specs first:

RAM: 8GB
MOBO: ASUS Sabertooth 990FX
CPU: AMD 8120 Eight-Core
GPU: Radeon HD 7970
PSU: Rocketfish 900W (just swapped to Corsair TX850M)

I've tried searching for something similar, but none of the situations described quite matched what I was facing. This computer is not a new build -- I purchased the mobo, CPU, and RAM about 8-9 months ago and it has been working great without issues. Recently, I upgraded the GPU from a Radeon HD 5670, and it was working fine. I also recently had an error where the BIOS would not detect my SSD, but I was able to solve that by changing SATA cables and switching the SATA connectors from the PSU.

Anyway, last night, I wasn't doing anything stress-related, just updating mods for Skyrim when one of my displays turned black while the other turned a dark gray with lighter gray lines going up across the screen. The audio continued for a moment, then halted. I restarted and got a single, short beep but no display, the keyboard didn't light up, and neither did the mouse, but the fans and mobo LEDs were all on. I unplugged the comp and held down the power button for about a minute, then started up again and everything was fine. This happened again 2-3 times until the last time, when the screen turned white instead of dark gray. After that, there's been nothing. The computer sometimes gives a beep, sometimes it doesn't, but always no display.

I thought maybe it was my PSU and just changed it out this morning, but there's been no change. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
3 answers Last reply
More about short beep startup sometimes display
  1. UPDATE: It seems this post is now in the wrong section. I started looking at the LEDs on the mobo and noticed the VGA_LED was the only one that was remaining online. I swapped my GPU back to the Radeon HD 5670 that I had upgraded from and it came online.

Does this mean I need to RMA the card? Or is there just a conflict?
  2. A conflict is unlikely. You can multiple GPUs in the same computer, should you want to.
    Sounds like the card needs to be RMA'd. Can you try the card in another PC ?
  3. hubbardt said:
    A conflict is unlikely. You can multiple GPUs in the same computer, should you want to.
    Sounds like the card needs to be RMA'd. Can you try the card in another PC ?

Thanks for the response. It's just odd that it would suddenly break since it was running fine for about a week and a half and never went above 60 while playing Skyrim or Far Cry 3. I unfortunately don't have easy access to a second PC.
Ask a new question

Read More

Motherboards