Sign in with
Your question

100C within 10-15 seconds of boot.

Last response: in CPUs
April 6, 2012 2:56:53 AM

My computer crashed about a month ago and I hadn't had time to get around to fixing it until recently. After fixing the original problem I was putting the heatsink back in and I cracked one of the pins. Today, I replaced the heatsink with new thermal paste and when I started the computer for the first time it crashed within about 20 seconds. I restarted and checked the PC Health Status in BIOS as fast as possible and saw within about 10 seconds from boot time the processor was already over 100C and crashed within seconds again. The heatsink sits flush with new thermal paste and I'm lost as to why my processor is heating at over 1 degree a second from boot time. I'm not O/Cing and the voltage settings are set to the same they we're before. Please help!

More about : 100c seconds boot

April 6, 2012 3:14:28 AM

the only thing i can come up with is you may be applying the paste incorrectly. did you clean the old paste off the chip and make sure the bootom of the heatsink was clean before putting it on?
a c 184 à CPUs
April 6, 2012 3:15:29 AM

Place a small pea size dot in the middle of the cpu and put the cooler on. Clean with at least 90% rubbing alcohol and make sure it is CLEAN.
Related resources
April 6, 2012 3:24:52 AM

Cracked a pin or bent a pin? Pins on the motherboard or pins on the CPU? What type of CPU do you have (that will tell us what your motherboard socket is)?

Also, how did the computer crash? Did a surge hit it? Did you have some bad drivers? OS issues? Did it get in a car accident? Basically, if it was a surge or power outage, then it might be the PSU. However, this mysterious cracked/bent pin is the likely culprit.

Borrow a PSU, MB or CPU and test out a theory.
a c 203 à CPUs
April 6, 2012 3:28:57 AM

Sounds like your 'broke' your CPU.

What CPU is that?
April 6, 2012 3:42:45 AM

that might be. the OP did not mention if he broke a pin on the CPU or the heatsink
a c 203 à CPUs
April 6, 2012 3:56:28 AM

He'll be lucky if it was just one of the heat sink push pins on one of those Intel coolers.

A broke HSF could also be the reason for the fast overheating. 'Flush' isn't the same things as correctly installed.
April 6, 2012 1:43:49 PM

might only have 3 of the 4 screws for the heatsink base fitted correctly.

if the heatskink sits unevenly, high temp city
!