High cpu temperature?

star293

Distinguished
May 5, 2011
hi so i have phenom 980 (stock speed) and a hyper 212 plus heatsink and when i play battlefield 3, the cpu temp is around 49 to 52. is this normal? I don't know why it is so high and i haven't even overclocked my cpu.. it is running at stock speed.

A 2nd 120mm fan might help bring the load temps lower.

Does that video card vent hot air outside the case?

Or is it more open like this type of graphics card cooling?
14-127-510-TS

That sounds about reasonable. I have a Hyper N520, I've never seen it hit over 58c under Prime95 load. And the temps weren't much different between stock 3.6 and 4.0. Maybe 1 or 2 less at stock. Although it did shoot to 60 when I upped it to 4.1 ghz so I dialed it back. 62c is redline.

I was actually thinking about a 2nd 120mm case fan. Not adding another fan to the Hyper 212+.

I'm with nekulturny. Try some overclocking and see what temps you're getting at 3.9Ghz or 4Ghz. Keeping it under 60C should be possible.

deejayburnout

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2011
The idle temp is good, load a bit high.

i have the same cooler as you and my rig is a 965 OD to 3.8Ghz

If you wanted to add a 2nd fan to the cooler, get one with a molex on it and fit that. i have the no spare fan headers either. The fan will run full speed. Get a good quality one so the noise level is low.

You case can take 3 more fans so i would add them, again with molex connectors. As above, get good quality ones that will keep the noise levels down. Ensure that the air flow goes from the front to the back and keep the wires inside the case tidy so it doesnt restrict the air flow.

Also get a can of Pressurised Air and clean you case out, cooler and GPU as well. Dust is bad for blocking flow and incresing temps.

If all goes well, your idle temp might go down 1 or 2 deg but your load will frop 4 or 5.

As an example, my rig idle is 30deg running prime just hits 51deg on full load. Playing Skyrim hits 42deg.

Hope that helps