STILL have crashes after new psu

rwillis

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2007
First, see this thread: http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/247004-28-game-crashes

Now i just installed my new PSU, silverstone 50ef plus (500W, 36A) and i still get crashes soon after i begin running anything intensive. What can it be if not my PSU? I've already run memtest with no errors coming up, so what do I need to fix/RMA to get my rig working? (before you ask, all the temps are fine)

Thanks for your help

imorgan

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2007
Hve toy tried to update audio / graphic drivers ?
Is there any certian programs which are causing the system to crash quicker than others and if so are they using any paticular hardware feature than other programs, this may help to isolate the possible problem, more info required

regards,

Ian

rwillis

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2007
well I'm going to try forceware 169.02 instead of 169.21 and maybe omega or similar tweaked drivers, but I don't have high hopes...and Crysis and bioshock both have this problem and also 3dmark05. I don't really know what you mean by "hardware features"...gfx card obviously, but otherwise I don't really know what you mean. I can post the error report if the numbers and crap mean anything to anyone...I have yet to see a blue screen for more than half a second before the comp restarts, so I can't tell you any driver names or anything, but last time it was nv4_disp and nv_4mini.

coldneutron

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2006
Try running orthos or prime 95 blend test to stress the ram. i've seen memory pass memtest86 for hours only to fail almost instantly in orthos. u may need to loosen your ram timings or bump up the voltage to get stability.

rwillis

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2007
AHA! ok I ran orthos for ~2min and my pc restarted (no blue screen or anything). I went into the bios and set memory speed to auto from manual and unfortunately it appears that that is the only control i have over my ram in the bios. I'll try orthos again and see what happens.

Thanks for that!

Kamrooz

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2007
indeed, one of the first things that should be done is always set your ram voltage to your modules specs. Otherwise it can cause heaps of problems.

rwillis

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2007
yeah...that worked all right. God i'm dumb.

the ram voltage is something I just never would have thought of... thanks guys.