Help! Can't install newer drivers

Tucksy

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2011
Hey guys,

I'm running a Acer Aspire 5740G Notebook with a AMD Mobility Radeon HD 5650 card in it. Also using Windows 7 64 bit.

The problem is, I can't update the drivers! It seems as though acer has a set of VGA drivers they put out, the most recent one being 12/9/2009....this is the driver I am currently running.

When I attempt to install newer catalyst drivers it simply does not work. I get a compatibility error message popup, and my CIM will not progress any further. Furthermore, when installing CCC it will not open at all. If I go through device manager, my computer tells me that it's drivers are the most recent (even though they're from 3 years ago) and if I uninstall them, they're the one it reinstalls automatically when detecting the videocard....

I really need driver upgrades to play BF3, so if I can't figure this out I will probably just throw my computer out the window!

ET900

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2011
ive had issues with laptops before. sometimes it works out better just to use the custom laptop drivers but yeh it sucks when they haven't updated them for ages.

maybe you are getting the wrong ones. try the amd driver downloader and see if that downloads something different than what you are trying.

piedriver101

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2011
Hi,

I am also using an acer aspire 5740G and am experiencing the exact same problem as the OP.

I've tried removing the 'display adapter' through device manager. Rebooting (which gives me a tiny little screen, then installing this driver: amd_catalyst_11.10_preview_sep­26 --> but it does not update it to the new one because dxdiag thinks I'm still running the one from 10/12/2009. :/

Any suggestions at making the driver update? :?

farmski

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2011
Ive got acer ethos 5943g with the same radeon 5650 card,

Ive sent a support message to acer to see if theres a work around, but I dont expect much support, from what I gather, laptop vendors say they have to test the drivers before they release them..

but what takes the piss is that the drivers on their website are the same as the ones pre installed, which are from LAST SEPTEMBER!! that is rap support..

After doing some searching I found someone with the same 5650 but on a hp laptop which had the same update issue. and there was some way to install a modified driver package, but that was modded for that hp laptop.

If anyone knows what how and if this could be done for acer.. that would be the best solution untill acer decide to support their own products..

G

I gues you got switchable praphics on your acer.
1. uninstall your drivers, then use driversweeper and ccleaner to remove the rest of the drivers.
2. go to bios and turn off Switchable Graphics to either Integrated Graphics or Discrete Graphics, i dont remember.
3. install the newest drivers from www.amd.com

don't do this if you realy like to use powersaving mode tho:p