How do you rename "Windows" directory?

Sidewinder

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2003

I do not like having the storage of the operating system
in a directory named "Windows". In prior versions of
Windows, it was possible for the user to explicitly name
the directory. That option did not appear when loading
Windows XP Pro.

A person could rename the directory, but that would
probably cause the operating system all sorts of problems
since it would not know where to find itself.

I have been unable to find a knowledge base article
regarding this problem. Does anyone know a way to
rename "Windows" and have the operating system still
function correctly? Or did I miss seeing something during
the setup?

Please reply to "techsupport at p2-c2.com" and include the
wording "Attn: Thomas" in the subject line.

I'm constantly amazed that there's some people out there who have so few
problems with their OS that some of their concerns include the name of the
directory it's installed in.

Hi

You would have re-install XP to change the name of the 'Windows' folder.
You can't change it afterwards as the Registry references would then be
defunct.

--

Will Denny
MVP - Windows Shell/User

"Sidewinder" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I do not like having the storage of the operating system
> in a directory named "Windows". In prior versions of
> Windows, it was possible for the user to explicitly name
> the directory. That option did not appear when loading
> Windows XP Pro.
>
> A person could rename the directory, but that would
> probably cause the operating system all sorts of problems
> since it would not know where to find itself.
>
> I have been unable to find a knowledge base article
> regarding this problem. Does anyone know a way to
> rename "Windows" and have the operating system still
> function correctly? Or did I miss seeing something during
> the setup?
>
> Please reply to "techsupport at p2-c2.com" and include the
> wording "Attn: Thomas" in the subject line.

Jerry

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

The only way is to have done an upgrade of XP over a previous version of
Windows that did allow you to determine what the install directory would be
named.

"Sidewinder" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I do not like having the storage of the operating system
> in a directory named "Windows". In prior versions of
> Windows, it was possible for the user to explicitly name
> the directory. That option did not appear when loading
> Windows XP Pro.
>
> A person could rename the directory, but that would
> probably cause the operating system all sorts of problems
> since it would not know where to find itself.
>
> I have been unable to find a knowledge base article
> regarding this problem. Does anyone know a way to
> rename "Windows" and have the operating system still
> function correctly? Or did I miss seeing something during
> the setup?
>
> Please reply to "techsupport at p2-c2.com" and include the
> wording "Attn: Thomas" in the subject line.

LOL homer!

> I'm constantly amazed that there's some people out there who have so few
> problems with their OS that some of their concerns include the name of the
> directory it's installed in.

You missed something in setup.

http://www.newmatilda.com/home/default.asp