Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

ExtremeTech PS3 vs XBox360

Last response: in Video Games
Share
Anonymous
May 26, 2005 8:11:03 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,alt.games.video.xbox (More info?)

One of the first reasonable comparisons I have seen:

http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,1558,1820495,00.a...
--
Now Playing:
Anonymous
May 26, 2005 8:11:04 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,alt.games.video.xbox (More info?)

"Thomas Jespersen" <thomas@lucky-music.dk> wrote in message
news:35mb911desh8ae0hi91hk581fv7qli10lv@4ax.com...
> One of the first reasonable comparisons I have seen:
>
> http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,1558,1820495,00.a...
> --
> Now Playing:

Thanks for the link. That was a good read...even if the author seems to
give Microsoft more of a "pass" than Sony. He criticized Sony for not
showing any playable games for a system which is still a year and a half
away from retail, but he didn't seem concerned that Microsoft was showing
only a handful of playable games on *dev kits* for a system which is six
months away from retail. I know that MS will get their act together in
time, but all three companies were light on next-gen substance this E3.
Anonymous
May 26, 2005 9:26:05 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,alt.games.video.xbox (More info?)

Android <androvich@NOcomcastSPAM.net> wrote:
>give Microsoft more of a "pass" than Sony. He criticized Sony for not
>showing any playable games for a system which is still a year and a half
>away from retail, but he didn't seem concerned that Microsoft was showing
>only a handful of playable games on *dev kits* for a system which is six
>months away from retail. I know that MS will get their act together in

My memory is fuzzy -- did MS or Sony have more to show six months
out from launch last generation?

--
Your superior intellect is no match for our puny weapons!
-- The green aliens, `The Monkey's Paw' in ``Treehouse of Horror II''
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
Anonymous
May 26, 2005 9:26:06 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,alt.games.video.xbox (More info?)

"Andrew Ryan Chang" <archang@sfu.ca> wrote in message
news:D 750rd$dr0$1@morgoth.sfu.ca...
> Android <androvich@NOcomcastSPAM.net> wrote:
> >give Microsoft more of a "pass" than Sony. He criticized Sony for not
> >showing any playable games for a system which is still a year and a half
> >away from retail, but he didn't seem concerned that Microsoft was showing
> >only a handful of playable games on *dev kits* for a system which is six
> >months away from retail. I know that MS will get their act together in
>
> My memory is fuzzy -- did MS or Sony have more to show six months
> out from launch last generation?
> --
> Your superior intellect is no match for our puny weapons!
> -- The green aliens, `The Monkey's Paw' in ``Treehouse of Horror II''

Good question. I recall being underwhelmed by the PS2 titles shown at E3
2000 in advance of the PS2 launch, but I also recall that Halo looked
"choppy" when I saw it at E3 2001 in advance of the Xbox launch. I can't
remember who had more to show prior to launch. I'd have to go back through
my old E3 programs. Oddly enough, I seem to recall being more impressed by
Sega's showing at E3 1999 before the launch of the Dreamcast...but maybe
that's just because it was my first E3.
Anonymous
May 29, 2005 4:48:09 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.xbox (More info?)

On Thu, 26 May 2005 16:11:03 +0200, Thomas Jespersen
<thomas@lucky-music.dk> wrote:

>One of the first reasonable comparisons I have seen:
>
>http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,1558,1820495,00.a...

Not alot of meat in the article though with regard real specs and
performance. I really wonder if gamers want such overwhelming
functionality too. With both the xbox 360 and the ps3 setting
themselves up as quite expensive consoles I wonder if Nintendo's
Revolution might not be the real winner. Its being designed to perform
well but be cheap to manufacture. If the Revolution ends up selling at
$99 6 months after release and the Xbox is still at $199 or more the
Nintendo will have a lot of extra appeal. Especially if the Nintendo
has a simple plug in and go approach and can be moved easily from room
to room and house to house. Add to that no doubt improved stability
over the xbox 360's very complicated operating system.

The fact the Revolution has wifi built in and can download classic
Nintendo games for free (probably) in addition to playing gamecube
games and Revolution games that will probably be comparable to 360/PS3
games.

Maybe an all encompassing multimedia console is what people are
waiting for but I'm not sure. To be honest it will be much more
restrictive than a pc and it will remove a lot of freedom. Its obvious
Microsoft intends to make extra money from pipeing down movies and
other multimedia content to the 360. It will take on cable, satellite,
conventional tv and home pcs.

Thats the gloss but the reality is probably going to be a buggy
console with a hugely complicated operating system and even the
original xbox compatibility sounds like its going to be fairly
mediocre emulation that will only allow it to work with top games and
not all games.

Personally I'd prefer a Xbox 360 lite that just plays Xbox 360 games
as well as the main 360 console and has no dvd playback or xbox
support and doesn't have all the online/broadband functionality. I
stopped using Xbox Live as it simply wasn't worth it. My bandwidth is
often used for downloading movies etc so it wasn't practical and I
personally prefer the scripted events of first person shooters in
single player mode rather than constantly running after other players
and repeatedly shooting them in the same arena over and over again.
!