ExtremeTech PS3 vs XBox360

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,alt.games.video.xbox (More info?)

One of the first reasonable comparisons I have seen:

Now Playing:
4 answers Last reply
More about extremetech xbox360
  1. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,alt.games.video.xbox (More info?)

    "Thomas Jespersen" <thomas@lucky-music.dk> wrote in message
    > One of the first reasonable comparisons I have seen:
    >
    > http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,1558,1820495,00.asp
    > --
    > Now Playing:

    Thanks for the link. That was a good read...even if the author seems to
    give Microsoft more of a "pass" than Sony. He criticized Sony for not
    showing any playable games for a system which is still a year and a half
    away from retail, but he didn't seem concerned that Microsoft was showing
    only a handful of playable games on *dev kits* for a system which is six
    months away from retail. I know that MS will get their act together in
    time, but all three companies were light on next-gen substance this E3.
  2. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,alt.games.video.xbox (More info?)

    Android <androvich@NOcomcastSPAM.net> wrote:
    >give Microsoft more of a "pass" than Sony. He criticized Sony for not
    >showing any playable games for a system which is still a year and a half
    >away from retail, but he didn't seem concerned that Microsoft was showing
    >only a handful of playable games on *dev kits* for a system which is six
    >months away from retail. I know that MS will get their act together in

    My memory is fuzzy -- did MS or Sony have more to show six months
    out from launch last generation?

    --
    Your superior intellect is no match for our puny weapons!
    -- The green aliens, `The Monkey's Paw' in ``Treehouse of Horror II''

    "Andrew Ryan Chang" <archang@sfu.ca> wrote in message
    > Android <androvich@NOcomcastSPAM.net> wrote:
    > >give Microsoft more of a "pass" than Sony. He criticized Sony for not
    > >showing any playable games for a system which is still a year and a half
    > >away from retail, but he didn't seem concerned that Microsoft was showing
    > >only a handful of playable games on *dev kits* for a system which is six
    > >months away from retail. I know that MS will get their act together in
    >
    > My memory is fuzzy -- did MS or Sony have more to show six months
    > out from launch last generation?
    > --
    > Your superior intellect is no match for our puny weapons!
    > -- The green aliens, `The Monkey's Paw' in ``Treehouse of Horror II''

    Good question. I recall being underwhelmed by the PS2 titles shown at E3
    2000 in advance of the PS2 launch, but I also recall that Halo looked
    "choppy" when I saw it at E3 2001 in advance of the Xbox launch. I can't
    remember who had more to show prior to launch. I'd have to go back through
    my old E3 programs. Oddly enough, I seem to recall being more impressed by
    Sega's showing at E3 1999 before the launch of the Dreamcast...but maybe
    that's just because it was my first E3.

    On Thu, 26 May 2005 16:11:03 +0200, Thomas Jespersen
    <thomas@lucky-music.dk> wrote:

    >One of the first reasonable comparisons I have seen:
    >
    >http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,1558,1820495,00.asp

    Not alot of meat in the article though with regard real specs and
    performance. I really wonder if gamers want such overwhelming
    functionality too. With both the xbox 360 and the ps3 setting
    themselves up as quite expensive consoles I wonder if Nintendo's
    Revolution might not be the real winner. Its being designed to perform
    well but be cheap to manufacture. If the Revolution ends up selling at
    $99 6 months after release and the Xbox is still at $199 or more the
    Nintendo will have a lot of extra appeal. Especially if the Nintendo
    has a simple plug in and go approach and can be moved easily from room
    to room and house to house. Add to that no doubt improved stability
    over the xbox 360's very complicated operating system.

    The fact the Revolution has wifi built in and can download classic
    Nintendo games for free (probably) in addition to playing gamecube
    games and Revolution games that will probably be comparable to 360/PS3
    games.

    Maybe an all encompassing multimedia console is what people are
    waiting for but I'm not sure. To be honest it will be much more
    restrictive than a pc and it will remove a lot of freedom. Its obvious
    Microsoft intends to make extra money from pipeing down movies and
    other multimedia content to the 360. It will take on cable, satellite,
    conventional tv and home pcs.

    Thats the gloss but the reality is probably going to be a buggy
    console with a hugely complicated operating system and even the
    original xbox compatibility sounds like its going to be fairly
    mediocre emulation that will only allow it to work with top games and
    not all games.

    Personally I'd prefer a Xbox 360 lite that just plays Xbox 360 games
    as well as the main 360 console and has no dvd playback or xbox
    support and doesn't have all the online/broadband functionality. I
    stopped using Xbox Live as it simply wasn't worth it. My bandwidth is
    often used for downloading movies etc so it wasn't practical and I
    personally prefer the scripted events of first person shooters in
    single player mode rather than constantly running after other players
    and repeatedly shooting them in the same arena over and over again.

Console Gaming Video Xbox 360 Games PlayStation Video Games