Sign in with
Your question

Balancing Processors

Last response: in Motherboards
February 13, 2013 11:51:35 PM

Hey everyone, Im looking into building my first computer and I've been looking through processors and motherboards bouncing back and forth for a few days trying to figure out exactly what I want. I believe I have decided on the Asus Sabertooth Z77 and for the processor im thinking the Intel 3770K , I heard that it is a really big hassle to buy a processor and a motherboard seperate of each other and I would have to actually get special balancing equipment for connecting the proccesor? Can I get some tips please?

More about : balancing processors

a b V Motherboard
February 14, 2013 12:04:54 AM

I don't see any hassle of buying a CPU and motherboard separately. Never heard of any special balancing equipment to connect the processor either...

Just buy it.

Hold that thought. What are you using the PC for? What's the budget? Maybe we can help you choose better and more suitable parts for you.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
February 14, 2013 12:07:35 AM

what....?

there's really no need for any sort of balancing equipment to install a CPU onto a motherboard. just the ability to read the manual, and follow the instructions on installing the CPU carefully.
m
l
Related resources
a b Ĉ ASUS
a c 103 V Motherboard
February 14, 2013 12:08:59 AM

Jokerman18 said:
I heard that it is a really big hassle to buy a processor and a motherboard seperate of each other and I would have to actually get special balancing equipment for connecting the proccesor? Can I get some tips please?

Whoever told you this line of BS needs a quick kick to the crotch. Either that or i have been doing it wrong all these years.
m
l
February 14, 2013 12:12:42 AM

EzioAs said:
I don't see any hassle of buying a CPU and motherboard separately. Never heard of any special balancing equipment to connect the processor either...

Just buy it.

Hold that thought. What are you using the PC for? What's the budget? Maybe we can help you choose better and more suitable parts for you.

I will be gaming.
m
l
February 14, 2013 12:14:11 AM

Hazle said:
what....?

there's really no need for any sort of balancing equipment to install a CPU onto a motherboard. just the ability to read the manual, and follow the instructions on installing the CPU carefully.

Alright thanks, I was thinking that didn't sound right I just figured I had better see what everyone on Toms had to say about it.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
February 14, 2013 12:15:26 AM

bignastyid said:
Whoever told you this line of BS needs a quick kick to the crotch. Either that or i have been doing it wrong all these years.

Maybe we've all been doing it wrong :sarcastic:  . All the guides, advices, tips and tricks are all to be blame lol.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
February 14, 2013 12:20:37 AM

Jokerman18 said:
I will be gaming.

Okay. For gaming, you don't need the i7-3770K. An i5-3570K will be plenty. Get the 3770K only if you're doing any heavy video editing or 3D rendering.

The motherboard is good, but it's on the more expensive side. You could save a couple bucks by getting a cheaper Z77 motherboard and still get around 90% of the functionality and ports. If you don't mind spending the premium, get the Sabertooth board. If you want cheaper alternatives, here are my recommendations

ASRock Z77 Extreme6
Asus P8Z77-V
Gigabyte GA-Z77X-D3H
Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD3H
MSI Z77A-GD55

The K CPU and Z77 motherboard only benefits you more if you plan on overclocking the CPU. If you're not overclocking, the best choice would be an i5-3470 and a B75/H77 motherboard (preferable H77). B75 and H77 boards recommendation:

ASRock B75 Pro3
Asus P8B75-M LE
Gigabyte GA-B75M-D3H
Gigabyte GA-B75M-D3V
MSI B75A-G43
ASRock H77 Pro4/MVP
Gigabyte GA-H77-DS3H
MSI H77MA-G43
m
l
February 14, 2013 12:48:20 AM

EzioAs said:
Okay. For gaming, you don't need the i7-3770K. An i5-3570K will be plenty. Get the 3770K only if you're doing any heavy video editing or 3D rendering.

The motherboard is good, but it's on the more expensive side. You could save a couple bucks by getting a cheaper Z77 motherboard and still get around 90% of the functionality and ports. If you don't mind spending the premium, get the Sabertooth board. If you want cheaper alternatives, here are my recommendations

ASRock Z77 Extreme6
Asus P8Z77-V
Gigabyte GA-Z77X-D3H
Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD3H
MSI Z77A-GD55

The K CPU and Z77 motherboard only benefits you more if you plan on overclocking the CPU. If you're not overclocking, the best choice would be an i5-3470 and a B75/H77 motherboard (preferable H77). B75 and H77 boards recommendation:

ASRock B75 Pro3
Asus P8B75-M LE
Gigabyte GA-B75M-D3H
Gigabyte GA-B75M-D3V
MSI B75A-G43
ASRock H77 Pro4/MVP
Gigabyte GA-H77-DS3H
MSI H77MA-G43

Thanks for the suggestion, I am planning on overclocking and going all out on this PC so I am planning on the 3770k and the sabertooth (the thermal guard and radar are just too cool) I have looked at a lot of the stuff you suggested but I do think i have it narrowed down. And just making sure (im about 99%) but everything should be compatible with the CM Stryker case I just ordered?
m
l
a b V Motherboard
February 14, 2013 1:00:00 AM

Yep, they're compatible. Nice case btw.
m
l
February 14, 2013 1:02:42 AM

EzioAs said:
Yep, they're compatible. Nice case btw.

I love it
m
l
a b V Motherboard
February 14, 2013 1:04:30 AM

just to clarify EzioAs suggestions;

you gain VERY little going from a 3570K to a 3770K, and that's in the few games that are affected by the extra two cores.

only worthwhile reasons to grab the Sabertooth are the warranty and the looks, if you're into either. otherwise, little to no performance benefit outside of maybe being able to OC a little higher, compared to a $130 - 180 board.

if you've already got an SSD, a high end GPU (or two), a good case, a decent monitor, mouse & keyboard, and enough left over money to buy games, then it's fine grabbing the CPU & motherboard if you feel like spending more, unnecessary or not. otherwise, i highly suggest you save up and look into your other parts first.
m
l
February 14, 2013 1:19:29 AM

Hazle said:
just to clarify EzioAs suggestions;

you gain VERY little going from a 3570K to a 3770K, and that's in the few games that are affected by the extra two cores.

only worthwhile reasons to grab the Sabertooth are the warranty and the looks, if you're into either. otherwise, little to no performance benefit outside of maybe being able to OC a little higher, compared to a $130 - 180 board.

if you've already got an SSD, a high end GPU (or two), a good case, a decent monitor, mouse & keyboard, and enough left over money to buy games, then it's fine grabbing the CPU & motherboard if you feel like spending more, unnecessary or not. otherwise, i highly suggest you save up and look into your other parts first.

Im sort of making this PC my "project" and i plan on picking up one essential part every paycheck so money is no object. I play with maya a lot also which is a decision point I considered. Again I'm planning on building it overtime and this computer is going to be my baby
m
l
!