I found a strange processor...

geheugensteun

Honorable
Apr 6, 2012
Dear Community,

I found a strange processor in an old computer I looted last year from the streets.(you find them lying around sometimes)

It has no serial number nothing, all it says is this:

'AMD Phenom II 42'
'TWKR black edition'
'Not for sale'
-----------------

Can someone tell me more about the processor? My cousin is bugging me about it, he wants to buy it for a ridiculously high price. Being a skeptic, I thought it would be a better idea to first seek opinion on tom's Hardware. He's offering 400 Dollars for it. He says that he is offering the price because he pities me because I'm a poor dude and part of his family, but idk..I have a bad gut feeling about it

I can post pics if desired. I did not use it, not sure if I should penetrate my AM3-board with an unknown processor, might catch a disease.

deejayburnout

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2011
basically

AMD created a small number of limited edition “TWKR” processors expressly for the extreme overclocking community in appreciation for their record performance feats with Dragon platform technology and AMD Phenom II processors. These processors are designed to reach the utmost performance barriers of the AMD Phenom II processor and operate beyond the specifications of typical production level processors.
Called the AMD Phenom II X4 42 Black Edition TWKR processor, it is not for sale, and not covered by AMD’s product warranty. This processor is provided “as is” and AMD is not liable for any damages, of any type or character (including without limitation, system damage, loss of data or personal injury) caused as a result of using this processor. The processor will be distributed at this time solely through AMD promotional means.
Under extreme low temperatures (liquid nitrogen and liquid helium cooling), TWKR processors can reach clock frequencies and near absolute zero temperatures previously unheard of for x86 quad-core processors.
These processors demonstrate the sound engineering and superior process technology that is in each AMD Phenom II processor.

amd_twkr_processor.jpg

amd_twkr_stock_cpuz.jpg

geheugensteun

Honorable
Apr 6, 2012

Lol..I should've googled the 'twkr' thing, I was wondering why it wasn't in the AMD catalog for phenom II processors.

So it is some sort of experimental CPU, new questions arise.

-Is it a desired item? Collectors-item?
-If I buy a 150$ cooler along with this CPU, what would the performance be equal to? An I3?
-What's it worth? Should I keep it?

Wish I could find a tweaker lying around lol, you lucky, lucky, B&^%$£d!
:)
if you had the lockbox with you that'd bump up the price but hey, theres apparently less than 100 of those in the world so I'd research a bit before taking that $400 :)
**Edit, if you overclock at all, keep it, if not send it to me, I'll erm, keep it safe for you :p
Moto

CDdude55

Distinguished
Did some searching and apperelty it was a chip AMD created mainly for overclocking enthusiasts. They were designed to reach high speeds at very low temps. It should work fine even if you're not doing any overclocking.

Also the 42 means 4 cores at 2GHz.

geheugensteun

Honorable
Apr 6, 2012

I do have the box, it is really small and black with a yellow AMD-logo on it saying 'caution electronic devices'

It also says 'D NOT SHIP OR STORE NEAR STRONG ELECTROSTATIC, ELECTROMAGNETIC, MAGNETIC OR RADIOACTIVE FIELDS'.

There is also a symbol on the box, this one:
wstatic.jpg

Again, I can post picks of that curious little thing. I found the box taped on the HDD in the case lol. The previous owner taped literally everything inside the box, I guess it was his/her way to prevent losing manuals and cables etc.

KNO3

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2009

Just gave notice to my landlord that I'm canceling my lease. Moving company is on their way.

cyansnow

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2012
I would buy that for so much to liquid cool it but I geuss you aren't selling D:

You're so lucky that you found that in a thrown out pc lol... I was happy when I found a P4 in a computer at a dumpster outside of work.

geheugensteun

Honorable
Apr 6, 2012

Meh, I'm a rebel, don't care about stuff like that xD

Wow u serious?

It works perfectly :D!

I will notify you and bump this thread once I get around that.

Only 1 thing.

The box is completely different, like...really different.

Here is the box:
131194819771066460713337443911CIVJBOqfvH4vFlYqQVm.PNG

Does the box mean a lot value-wise? I mean it's about the CPU right? My hypothesis is that the nicely looking black box was sent for marketing purposes only to companies/review-sites etc., the specimen here is the 'raw' box-version. At least..that's what I think!