New system , and never post ?

DrGM1

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2011
i just bought a computer , piece by piece (motherboard - cpu - ram - vga - hdd - psu )
- everything is connected and in place = checked 4 times
-24 pins connection - 8 pins connection = checked
-psu is higher than the recommended wattage (450 vs 500) = checked
- vga connection 2x6pins = checked with and without
--
the mother board is ASUS P8Z67 pro
when i connect the electricity =
1- the motherboard On/Off button and reset button light up and remain up
2- all fans spin for a second (except the psu one) and then all stop
3- no error codes , no error LEDs

what might be wrong ?

------------
spec :
1- cpu = i5-2500k
2- ram = g.skill 1600 Hz , 1.5v , 2 x 4 gb
3- mobo = asus P8Z67 V pro
4- Vga = MSI N460
5- psu = hunt key 500 watts

Solution
First things first, try pushing the RAM in harder. It may not be all the way in the slot, even if the tabs did come up to lock it in it still may not be seated in there all the way.

Many many many new build problems are from RAM.

Try taking one out (leave 1 in) and turn it on. If that doesn't work try the same one in a different slot. Do that for all the slots. If you can't get anything going with that one try using the other stick in each of the slots and see if anything happens.

Also, some basic things...

The case probably came with some gold screws that screw into the back wall that keeps the back of the motherboard from touching the case. Did you use these?

Are you sure you have the PSU plugged twice into the motherboard...
First things first, try pushing the RAM in harder. It may not be all the way in the slot, even if the tabs did come up to lock it in it still may not be seated in there all the way.

Many many many new build problems are from RAM.

Try taking one out (leave 1 in) and turn it on. If that doesn't work try the same one in a different slot. Do that for all the slots. If you can't get anything going with that one try using the other stick in each of the slots and see if anything happens.

Also, some basic things...

The case probably came with some gold screws that screw into the back wall that keeps the back of the motherboard from touching the case. Did you use these?

Are you sure you have the PSU plugged twice into the motherboard?

If the answer of both those things is yes and it still doesn't respond, then take everything out of the case and put it on a wooden table. Then put 1 RAM in and the processor in the motherboard and plug the PSU twice into it. Then touch a flat screwdriver to the two metal things on the motherboard listed in the manual as PWR_BTN. This should attempt to wake the computer up.

If that still does nothing then unplug the PSU completely from the motherboard so it isn't connected to anything. For this step you will want to be careful. Get on some gloves that you feel are going to keep an electric shock from moving through them. Heavy duty leather gloves, for example. Then take a paper clip and unfold it and bend it in half. You want to find the big fat wire on the PSU and put one half in the green and another half in any of the black holes on it. This should cause the PSU to turn itself on.

Note everything you see and hear when trying all of those things and report back. Don't do the last part if you get a seemingly good response from the system. By that I mean if the computer comes on and stays on and the fans don't shut off and restart or anything.

Solution

DrGM1

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2011

perfect hit :love:
i totally forgot them in the box so i forgot to use them :heink:
the system is On and Running :bounce:

THANKS XD

Second one in two days on that. It is pretty easy to miss.

Full disclosure, some years ago I had the exact same thing happen to me too, before I was at my current level of skill.

Anyway, glad I could get you up and running so quickly. Many problems are much harder to diagnose and fix.