Sign in with
Your question

BSOD solved? I'm not sure.

Last response: in Motherboards
February 14, 2013 1:13:13 AM

Hey guys, I am so new to this forum, anyways, I recently bought this custom built cyberpower PC and I would always get a BSOD with either "Memory management" or "page fault in non paged" errors.

I had researched for weeks and tried so many things, but nothing was working, first off I thought it was my drivers. So I updated all my GPU drivers, motherboard and CPU drivers, also looked for any mouse drivers as well. Anyways everything was updated. I also ran memtest for 6 hours and no errors were detected.

But somehow, I would always get the BSOD ONLY when I'm gaming. I suspected a problem being RAM so I just randomly took out one stick, and presto no more BSOD.

NOW, my question is, and if anyone could help, I HAD 8 sticks of DDR3 8GB 1600 MHZ, total of 64 GB. I am running a motherboard GIGABYTE X79 UP4, AND NVIDIA GEFORCE 680. I was just wondering if the problem was I had TOO much ram? I honestly don't know how I fixed the BSOD, Am I supposed to configure my MOBO to run 64 gb of 1600mhz ram? Or did I just get lucky and took out a bad stick of ram? Even though memtest said I had no errors? I also reformatted my PC. Everything is brand new. Im pretty new to all of this, any information would be helpful. I am currently just running 54 gb of ram since I took one stick out.

I also do not know how to overclock or use 3d power if that has anything to do with it.

Any information would be greatly appreciated

Full specs:
BLUETOOTH: None
CAS: * Cooler Master HAF-X Gaming Full Tower Case w/ 1x230mm Fan, 1x200mm Fans, 2xFront USB 3.0 Port [+34]
CASUPGRADE: None
CD: 24X Double Layer Dual Format DVD+-R/+-RW + CD-R/RW Drive (BLACK COLOR)
CD2: None
COOLANT: Standard Coolant
CPU: Intel(R) Core™ i7-3970X Extreme Edition Six-Core 3.50 GHz 15MB Intel Smart Cache LGA2011 (All Venom OC Certified) [+790]
CS_FAN: Default case fans
ENGRAVING: None
FA_HDD: Vigor iSURF II Hard Disk Drive Cooling System [+21] (1 x System)
FAN: Asetek 510LC Liquid Cooling System 120MM Radiator & Fan (Enhanced Cooling Performance + Extreme Silent at 20dBA) (Single Standard 120MM Fan)
FLASHMEDIA: INTERNAL 12in1 Flash Media Reader/Writer (BLACK COLOR)
FREEBIE_CS: None
FREEBIE_MB: None
FREEBIE_VC: None
FREEBIE_VC2: None
GLASSES: None
HDD: 2TB (2TBx1) SATA-III 6.0Gb/s 64MB Cache 7200RPM HDD (Single Drive)
HDD2: None
IEEE_CARD: None
IUSB: Built-in USB 2.0 Ports
KEYBOARD: Black Multimedia/Internet USB Keyboard
MEMORY: 64GB (8GBx8) DDR3/1600MHz Quad Channel Memory [+396] (Corsair or Major Brand)
MONITOR: None
MONITOR2: None
MONITOR3: None
MOTHERBOARD: (SLI/CrossFireX Support) MSI X79A-GD45(8D) Intel X79 Chipset Quad Channel DDR3 ATX Mainboard w/ Winki 3, OC Genie II, 7.1 HD Audio, GbLAN, 3 Gen3 PCIe X16 & 4 PCIe X1
MOUSE: Black Logitech B100 USB Optical 800 DPI Mouse
NETWORK: Onboard Gigabit LAN Network
OS: Microsoft(R) Windows 7 Ultimate [+105] (64-bit Edition)
OVERCLOCK: No Overclocking
POWERSUPPLY: 800 Watts - Standard Power Supply - SLI/CrossFireX Ready
RUSH: 5% Instant Rebate for NO-RUSH Delivery, order will ship in 3 to 4 Weeks. Must Enter Coupon Code "NORUSH" during checkout [+0]
SERVICE: STANDARD WARRANTY: 3-YEAR LIMITED WARRANTY PLUS LIFE-TIME TECHNICAL SUPPORT
SOFT1: Free Microsoft(R) Office(R) 2010 STARTER EDITION (Reduced-Functionality versions of Word and Excel that include advertising) [+0]
SOUND: HIGH DEFINITION ON-BOARD 7.1 AUDIO
SPEAKERS: None
TABLET: None
TEMP: None
TUNING: None
TVRC: None
USB: None
USBFLASH: None
USBHD: None
USBX: NZXT Internal USB 6-PORT Expansion Module [+19]
VIDEO: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680 4GB 16X PCIe 3.0 Video Card [+550] (Major Brand Powered by NVIDIA)

More about : bsod solved

February 14, 2013 2:44:12 AM

You can't have so much RAM your system doesn't work properly. You were using a bad stick of RAM.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
February 14, 2013 2:59:36 AM

Why the hell i7 3970X for gaming? And why 64GB of RAM? you need only 8GB of RAM or at most 16GB if you're doing some heavy work.

Take off 4 sticks, adjust the timings and voltage according to your RAM specs, run Memtest86 for 2 hours, then play some games and see how it goes.

Why the specs say MSI and you say Gigabyte?
m
l
Related resources
a c 143 V Motherboard
February 14, 2013 3:00:16 AM

since this is a 4 channel memory board you should have 2 set of memory so rma the one with the defective stick .
m
l
February 14, 2013 4:57:16 AM

I honestly don't know on why the specs said that, but the motherboard I'm running is a GIGABYTE X79-UP4 QUAD CROSSFIRE/QUAD SLI SATA 3.0 USB 2.0 LGA 2011
m
l
February 14, 2013 5:00:43 AM

and i just figured the more ram the better, I'm pretty new to computer parts, and specifics
m
l
a c 143 V Motherboard
February 14, 2013 2:41:32 PM

then you could use only one set of the quad channel memory on the board and rma the defective one .
m
l
February 14, 2013 3:27:10 PM

scout_03 said:
then you could use only one set of the quad channel memory on the board and rma the defective one .

Can you be a little more specific? What do you mean one set of quad channel memory? You mean only 2 sticks of ram?, and what does RMA mean?
m
l
a c 143 V Motherboard
February 14, 2013 3:32:46 PM

you have 8 sticks of ram and one is corsair and the other major brand you keep the one with all the 4 stick work and ask for a replacement for the kit the one youd found not working from this company (that is rma ).
m
l
February 14, 2013 3:35:52 PM

scout_03 said:
you have 8 sticks of ram and one is corsair and the other major brand you keep the one with all the 4 stick work and ask for a replacement for the kit the one youd found not working from this company (that is rma ).

Yeah but I don't even know if the stick I took out is the bad one, I just randomly took out the second stick out of the motherboard to see if it would BSOD, and it didn't.
m
l
a c 143 V Motherboard
February 14, 2013 3:40:01 PM

put out all the stick on that same brand then follow your motherboard user manual to install all the remaining one boot the system .
m
l
a b V Motherboard
December 30, 2013 9:01:45 PM

put the stick u think is bad in another slot and remove and leave the ram out of that slot. if u problem returns bad memory, if problem doesn't then its an issue having all the memory in it at once. could also be that memory wasn't seated in the slot all the way. I do agree though 64g to much ram overall. I run 16gb and no swap file to save ware on my ssd and have yet to run out of memory yet.
m
l
!