Sign in with
Your question

Could i overclock the AMD sempron 145 @2.8Ghz using the standard cpu cooler

Last response: in CPUs
April 6, 2012 2:13:42 PM

just wanted to know could i overclock the cpu to 3.1/3.2Ghz using the standard cp cooler,
building my first pc and wanted know.
thanks

Computer Specs
Asrock N68C-S-UCC
AMD Sempron 145 2.8Ghz
4 GB DDR3 1333Mhz Ram
Gigabyte GeForce GT 430 1Gb
a b à CPUs
April 6, 2012 2:18:20 PM

Why bother it will struggle to run anything current anyway.

But yes you could... watch the temperatures if they stay safe bingo you did. Not really advisable though.
April 6, 2012 2:19:49 PM

i was going to unlock it to dual core and cool thanks
Related resources
a b à CPUs
April 6, 2012 2:20:06 PM

Hi :) 

It MAY overclock but get a better heatsink/fan as IF it overclocks its going to run hotter...

It will rarely go above 3.3 by the way.... and sometimes not at all...

All the best Brett :) 
a b à CPUs
April 6, 2012 2:21:00 PM

jamesg2571 said:
i was going to unlock it to dual core and cool thanks

Unlocking RARELY works on a SEMPRON....A LOT of them are single core anyway...

April 6, 2012 2:32:25 PM

thanks looks like i screwed up on the processor then :( 
a c 103 à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
April 6, 2012 4:55:01 PM

Yep, but AMD cpu's are cheap as chips if you parden the pun.
a c 108 à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
a b À AMD
April 6, 2012 6:05:04 PM

The Sempys do alright . .

No experience unlocking with your motherboard. If you have an extra fan you could blow some fresh air over the current CPU & FETs.

You should be able to test 14x250MHz for a temp baseline if you drop your RAMs from 667 to 533. Drop your HT Link to 1600MHz/8x.

April 6, 2012 6:16:21 PM

Its always a better option to keep the CPU temperature cool at any cost because all the components are dependent on it directly or indirectly and getting a maximum performance will only be possible when you will use a better cooler for your CPU instead of stock cooler.

In short,stock coolers are not meant for overclocking and are strictly restricted for these types of work as they are inefficient to handle the excessive heat caused by overclocked CPU.
April 12, 2012 4:04:21 PM

Brett928S2 said:

Unlocking RARELY works on a SEMPRON....A LOT of them are single core anyway...

just received my motherboard today installed it boots and installed windows bam it says semrpon 145 so i shut down open bios go to oc tweaker then enable asrock ucc and then save and exit log into windows then go to look at my cpu and gues what it now says amd athlon II x2 dual core cpu maybe i was lucky i dono thanks for the help really appreciated it
July 18, 2012 1:56:22 PM

I really watched the performence difference by playing 1080p video on sempron 145 with foxconn mb, the framerate was very low, when i released the core 2, then it played smoothly.

HENCE CORE RELEASE WORKS... MORE PERFORMANCE. :bounce: 
a c 108 à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
a b À AMD
July 20, 2012 7:31:58 PM

ajaybnl said:
I really watched the performence difference by playing 1080p video on sempron 145 with foxconn mb, the framerate was very low, when i released the core 2, then it played smoothly.

HENCE CORE RELEASE WORKS... MORE PERFORMANCE. :bounce: 

Not sure what media player or video card/subsystem, but I think you need to install the AMD Media Codec Package (used to call it 'Avivo')

Single core Sempy at 4x240MHz (C&Q) 0.9v, both playing and recording video stream.

August 7, 2012 9:42:20 AM

Hold up on celebrating. I have a Semp 145. It unlocked to 4450e. I even primed it for 45 minutes. My issue was in applications. Browsers crashed, refused to load, or appeared extremely distorted. Cinebench quite similar. Rebooted to have XP freeze at desktop. Reset and wasn't able to boot. Looks like OC is my only way to get more performance out of it.

I'd advise you to prime it to death before continuing. OCing + Unlocking is asking for double instability. You'd better test it well and get some better cooling.
a c 108 à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
a b À AMD
August 7, 2012 4:55:10 PM

Not my experience.

I've unlocked (probably more) than my fair share. In many cases, allowing under-volts that dropped power consumption at-the-wall by 35%+

The Giga-byte 785G mATX works best for me, but others may have different experiences.

March 31, 2013 12:54:10 AM

Brett928S2 said:

It MAY overclock but get a better heatsink/fan as IF it overclocks its going to run hotter...

It will rarely go above 3.3 by the way.... and sometimes not at all...

Maybe rare but my sempron 145 is unlocked and running at 3.84 on a stock phenom heat sink
!