Problems with my Asus M5A97 Evo

Rathjen

Honorable
May 20, 2012
Hello all,

I've been having problems recently with my computer in general, which I think is either a problem with my mobo or my memory. I usually just use my computer for low intensity gaming and web browsing, but a few days ago, the drivers were acting up for my video card, so I got the latest ones from the Nvidia website, but the screen would still go black and come back a little later. A little while after that, my computer shut off and would not boot up again. It would power up, all fans would spin, and about 1/4 of the time, it would boot up into the bios menu but never into the Windows screen.

When it doesn't boot up, it will start up but give the warning beeps for either not detecting VGA or a hardware failure, usually just not detecting VGA, though. I found out later that the ram that I have is not on the recommended memory for the set up that I have, according to the user manual. I have been through these forums, and have found other issues like this but not quite the exact same one. I'm not convinced that my video card is bad because I switched another one out and had the same problems. The DRAM led lights up and blinks upon powering up my machine. I tried using the MemOK button to fix it, but nothing happens with it. I left it for about 10 minutes while it was testing the ram, but kept blinking at the same speed. So I'm not really sure what the problem is, but I think it's either the memory or the mobo.

tl;dr, computer will power on but not boot up usually, graphics card seems ok, maybe a problem with the ram or the mobo?

My set up is:
Asus M5A97 Evo
AMD FX-6100
EVGA Nvidia GTX 550 ti
Two sticks of G.Skill 1600 4Gig
CoolerMaster 500w PSU
WD Caviar Blue 500 gig

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks,
Mike

Rathjen

Honorable
May 20, 2012
Thanks for the quick reply! I've tried booting with the two sticks separately, but still got the same results. I'll try booting it up in another system, though, just to see if the ram is dead.