michellebytes

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2007
Which Cpu is the better option? I will be using my pc for applications like photoshop, flash, dreamweaver and regular net stuff.. I will occassionally use Adobe Premiere - i never use for gaming.

AMD Phenom or Intel Q6600?

Thanks in advance for any advice

Ignore the dribbles above ... here is some useful information.

The current G0 stepping QX6600 is a real killer chip - overclocks well.

The current B2 Phenom has a TLB issue resolved with a bios flash that renders it's overall performance down a bit.

The Q is about 15% better clock for clock ... the phenom does match it only on a couple of obscure virtualisation tests (which someone else cant post if they want) but is otherwise trounced in most popular real world apps and gaming.

If your looking to build a top end gaming rig (with some future proofing due to the extra cores) then the Q is the way to go.

Once you overclock your looking at it outperforming a comparable QX top end chip ... for a fraction of the price. AMD's chips under the present 65nm process do not have the "headroom" for overclocking the core2 Intel line have.

Intil the B3 stepping Phenom cores arrive AMD have no mid (or high) range alternative to Intel's quads.

There are plenty of threads here for useful advice building a good gaming system, but I suggest you start looking at a quality mobo and powersupply and RAM ... and at least an 8800GT level card (or 3870 ATI).

Or you can wait - odds on if AMD get their chip right it will force the price down on quad core chips ...

I hope they get their act together ... which will be good for the industry.

Good luck.

Do they have better power regulation ?

I am asking as I would assume many will want to OC these and once you wind up the core voltage a bit I assume they would be drawing well over 150 watts under load over 3.3 gig or so?

I think MU even mentionned 200 watts ??

Not that I care when your extracting the maximum ...

I recall some of the old P4 mobo power regulators couldn't handle the last of the Netburst Extreme cpu's ... I'd think the lastest would be much better.

If you have some advice in that regard I'd appreciate the info myself?

michellebytes

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2007
Thanks for all your replies....:)

Clearly....the intel is the way to go.

I have a silverstone sg01 case so i need a matx board... so was looking at the gigabytes GA-G33M-DS2R with 4 gig of corsair ram. will use the onboard graphics for the time being tho. I have a sapphire x800 GTO2 card but its a couple years old now so probably not as good as the onboard?

cnumartyr

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2007

Power regulation is per board. My Q6600 draws about 200-220 Watts when overclocked.

It was in a Blood Iron from DFI and it couldn't keep up. It shut itself down more than once. Now in the P5K-E it runs just fine. Asus has some of the best 8 phase designs I've used.

That G33 will be fine for stock operation. I'd look for something beefier for overclocking, but if you are running it stock it should be fine. :D

ZOldDude

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2006

What is it your asking when you say "better".
In any build it is much more than a CPU.

It comes down to what MB you want and thus how every part placed on it will preform.
No MB (when you OC) is better than a DFI no matter what CPU or other parts are mounted on it.

No PSU is better than a PC Power & Cooling unit no matter the cost PERIOD.

The best ram sets are from G.Skill or Patriot no matter what adverts say.

Now we are down to cost on the CPU.
Phenome in my mind -right now- is not a good deal.
However for preformance vs price AMD in other packages is a far better deal than a Q6600 at this time...IF your trying to build from scratch.

If you ARE building from scratch with either Intel or AMD I would say get a DFI MB and a PC Power & Cooling PSU and G.Skill or Patriot ram to go with that platform.

Intel has planed upgrades this comming year...and AMD has as well.
I know that AMD is working with IBM plan to have a 22nm build out some time in late 2009 2010 so if you want a MB now that will be up to date then get a DFI AMD MB.
If your not planning that far ahead and like Intel get a DFI Intel MB.
Either way you have a MB that takes the international OC ticket every year.

Main point is if your building from start and use good parts your system whatever it may be based on as far as a cpu WILL play all games for the next 5 years if it does not have PSU/MB/GFX card problems (dead caps) along the way.

I short ANY cpu that hits 3 ghz will run everything just fine for years to come and thus a "all new build" comes down to price rather than what people say is better....and GFX card updates will matter far more.

cnumartyr

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2007

DFI makes great boards, I've had a few. They aren't the best at all levels for OCing. They also aren't the best as far as being "user-friendly." I know quite a few "experts" that have gotten lost in their BIOS. It also depends on price brackets.

PP&C makes some good PSUs. There is a reason for a tiered list though, as other manufacturers can make ones just as well.

Crucial makes great OCing RAM at the moment.

Sorry I'm just not a fan of saying "X is always better than Y, period." It's hardly ever the case.

SirCrono

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2006
Yet another vote for the Q6600, it's faster at stock speed, it's faster clock for clock, it overclocks better and it doesn't have any major errors or bugs.

Q6600 right now is better overall for the $. AMD needs to sort out and fix they TLB issue and fast or lose alot more sales to Intel. If you going to use 4gb of DDR2, you'll need a 64bit OS to take advantage of the added capacity. 32bit OS's (XP and Vista) will only see about 3-3.5 gig's of RAM, so the 4 gig's would be a waste of $, IMHO.

What was your budget for this upgrade/build? I'm seeing about $600? Assuming your only getting CPU, mobo, DDR2, and maybe a cheap GPU.

michellebytes

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2007
this isnt my first build.....just getting new psu cpu mobo and ram.
I have vista 64 bit already :) I dont really care about how much just want it to be quicker than my amd 4200 i have at the moment.

i usually upgrade every 2 years so im not too concerned that i will have to buy another mobo when the time comes. I dont know anything really about overclocking so i guess thats not important to me, unless someones willing to give me crash course :)

thanks again for those helpful replies :)