goodgenie4u

Honorable
Mar 29, 2012
I have an HP Media Centre m7760n core 2 duo. Bought it in 2007.

I burnt about 3 DVD's on it. The next day it would not power up. Where the power socket is on the PSU there is a small green light it was dimly lit. No fans or other signs of life. Sniffed around after opening the side panel, no burnt smell. Everything inside is relatively dust free; the CPU fan (Taisol 12 VDC ball bearing) as well.

The PSU is a HIPRO Model HP-D 3057F3R with a Max output of 300W. It does not appear to be available anymore. I would invest in a replacement one at say 450W but just not sure if it will fit current PSU box 5.5" x 3.5") or if the PSU is the cause of the problem.

If it is the Motherboard P5LP -LE rev.5.03 that is dead, then I cannot imagine spending money to just get more of the same.

Looking for advice, including starting from scratch and building one. I would like to use the i5-2500 Intel CPU. But I am clueless of what a robust motherboard would be, so that "heat" from the CPU or DVD burner, does not undermine the motherboard. Sometimes the RAM slots are ever so close to the CPU cooler. Am not into gaming. The exiting DVD burner is a Lightscribe burner. The HD are two SATA 250G Western Digital. Runs on Vista Premium.

To fix or move on. Am retired and must think twice about the next move. Most appreciative of any advice.

nomad_1911

Honorable
Apr 5, 2012
Well,when a pc wont power up,dead power supply is the thing that comes to my mind.I had 2 cases of computers refusing to boot up,and in both of these the power supply was dead.Usually you wont smell anything(i didnt),beacuse they die quietly in most cases :D....cheers !!!

goodgenie4u

Honorable
Mar 29, 2012

That is encouraging to hear. Thanks you :hello: