New Gaming/Entertainment Machine

DeChe

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2011
Hey Guys 'n' Gals,

Im looking to build a new Gaming and Entertainment (Blu-Ray Movies ect) Machine. Below is the core spec im looking to put inside it. Was hoping to get peoples verdict on it. This is the first time I've had money enough to throw at a PC that I really want.

The main thing I'm worried about is it not working together. I'm quite confident in building PC's but when it comes to this kind of money a 2nd opinion (or 3rd 4th 5th... ect) doesn't hurt.

Core Bitz
Case (~£135)
Coolermaster HAF X Case

Motherboard (~£300)
Asus Maximus IV Extreme-Z Z68 Socket 1155 8 Channel HD Audio EATX Motherboard

Processor (~£200)
Intel Core i7 2600k 3.4GHz Socket 1155

CPU Cooling (~£50)
Corsair Hydro Series H60

GFX (~£540)
ASUS GTX 590 dual-GPU graphics card with 3GB GDDR5

Memory (~£65 x2)
Corsair 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 2000MHz XMS3 Memory Kit CL9 1.65V x2

Sound Card (~£75)
Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Professional Series

PSU (~£220)
Corsair Professional Series Gold AX 1200W Modular PSU

Storage
Corsair 120GB Force 3 SSD (~£80)

WD 300GB 3.5" SATA-III 6Gb/s VELOCIRAPTOR Hard Drive - 10,000RPM x2 (~£200 x2) (RAID 0)

Corsair WD 2TB 3.5" SATA-III 6GB/s Caviar Green Hard Drive (Internal) (~£75)

I will be attaching a number of Gaming (Gamepads, Joysticks, Gaming Mouse n Keyboard ect.), Visual (2 22" LED Monitors and a 42" TV) and Audio (5.1 Surround and Gaming Headset) Peripherals to it. And will be running Windows 7 64 Bit Home Premium on it.

All feed back is appreciated, I have money to throw at this machine to make it shiny so I'm not necessarily looking for the cheapest option. (That being said, I'm not made of money ;) )

Many thanks,

Dave.

Lokster1

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2011
You planning on OCing at all? Any video editing? I think you have major over kill in a few areas if not Ocing/SLI. Just off the top that memory is no good, sandy bridge likes 1.5V or lower, and from what I have been reading anything over 1600Mhz is a waste. That 1200W PSU is also overkill, I think you will be safe with less than 1000W but I guess it never hurts to have more power.

Looks like your building a beast though, good luck!

DeChe

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2011
Thanks for the feedback, I will be planning to OC at some point. I know the Asus ROG MB's have some good features for that. I dabble in animating and video editting but havnt really done much in it due to my system not really being the most powerful.
Is there a particular Memory you'd recommend? Or anything that is 1600Mhz and low latency all good?
I was looking at 1000W PSU but I read/heard that over time the efficiency decrease so really im looking to future proof it. Also will be plugging alot of stuff into this machine USB wise, would that also drain from Power?

Thanks dude, it shall be a beast ^_^ so psyched!

Lokster1

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2011
Well they do degrade over time but its usually only a couple of % per year unless you plan on keeping your computer on for 24hrs a day, I think you are super safe with 1000W still especially with only one GPU.

If you are going to be doing some video editing keep the 2600k, might want to look into getting 16GB of RAM too. If you were only gaming/watching videos 8 would be enough, I like G.skill RAM but check the Mobo website for the qualified vendor list and grab something off that which is a good price.

DeChe

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2011
Awesome stuff shall peruse through that list when I get home from work and find a more suitable choice.
Will also look at PSU's if the price difference isnt too much then I may just stick with 1200W incase I feel ridiculous and decide to SLI later lol.
Really appreciate the feedback dude. *Internet High Five!*