Solved

Upgrade from Radeon 5850 to GTX 580

I've been using a Radeon 5850 for the past 2 years. It's been a good card but it starting to slightly show its age. The question is simple. Do you folks think its worth it to upgrade to a GTX 580?
11 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about upgrade radeon 5850
  1. if you have the cash why not?
    list some system specs pls
  2. Yeah your PSU needs to have enough juice.......
  3. I just upgraded the rest of my system. The only thing I didn't touch was the PS or Video card. The reason being, I wasn't sure it would be worth it. But if the overall opinion is that the GTX 580 is a worthy enough upgrade from a 5850, then I would do it. A new PS would be necessary as well of course.

CPU: i5 2500K
    Motherboard: ASRock P67 EXTREME4 GEN3
    Memory: G.SKILL Sniper Series 8GB DDR3 1866

The PS I will upgrade to: SeaSonic X Series X-850 - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151102
  4. the performance upgrade would be a big step up. why not try and get another 5850 to xfire?
  5. Based on my own research, the micro stutter study, and reports from others on sli/crossfire results, I'd rather just stick with one card and save myself the perceived hassle.
  6. if you want good bang for that buck, the 570 with a proper OC can perform with a stock 580, and i think that is well worth the money, with better tesselation performance especially going from the 5xxx series radeon. it really depends on what you want to play at which resolution
  7. I play at 1920 x 1080. As far as games go, I play a very wide range. After the recent Steam sales over the past month or two, I've picked up a few "new" games such as Metro 2033 and that is quite the demanding game. I'll be picking up Skyrim. Granted, being a console port, I'm not sure how demanding that will be.

In the end, I like to be able to put the graphics all the way up or nearly all the way up and leave them there. When I have to start turning stuff off to keep decent fps, that's when I start looking at an upgrade.
  8. Best answer
    i run a 570, and have no issues on very high with any game, even metro 2033. There are a few settings that i stay away from such as advanced DoF, but everything else maxed. Witcher 2 runs great as well with ubersampling off around 50-60 fps@1920x1080. If you can wait, the new radeon cards should be coming out in a couple months, and be much faster than current gen. if you are wanting to buy now, then i think the 570 is a good choice; it is much cheaper than the 580, and will perform extremely well at your gaming resolution.
  9. Thanks FlintIronStagg for your help here. I can give it a couple months and see what the future holds.
  10. Best answer selected by merloin.
  11. good luck on what you decide, nothign like a high end GPU to make you happy
Ask a new question

Read More

Radeon Gtx Graphics Product