Sign in with
Your question

Home built PC

Last response: in Systems
December 29, 2011 3:02:20 PM

Hi folks, just looking for a bit of advice.
Basically here are the parts i have got and am getting:
ATI HD 5850
Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD3 Intel Z68
Intel CPU Core i5 Unlocked 2500K Sandy Bridge Quad Core Processor
Corsair Memory XMS3 8GB DDR3
Coolermaster Hyper 212 EVO CPU Cooler for All Intel/AMD CPU's
Arctic Power 700W PSU - 4x SATA 1x PCI-Express

So basically, will all this work together ok? And if so, how good will it be, im using it mainly for gaming.
If ive missed anything out just let me know, thanks, much appreciated.

More about : home built

December 29, 2011 3:05:41 PM

The PSU is questionable. It should be fine, but try to stick with Antec, XFX, Corsair or Seasonic. If you haven't already purchased the HD 5850 there are better options for the money (HD 6870). Otherwise it looks good...
December 29, 2011 3:08:03 PM

sadams04 said:
The PSU is questionable. It should be fine, but try to stick with Antec, XFX, Corsair or Seasonic. If you haven't already purchased the HD 5850 there are better options for the money (HD 6870). Otherwise it looks good...

Thanks for the advice, ive actually had the hd 5850 for a year or so now, mainly looking to upgrade the other parts. Good to know it should work together, thanks.
Related resources
December 29, 2011 3:09:57 PM

Sorry one quick other question, i know this has probably been asked before, but was i right in getting the i5 processor over the bulldozer. I really wasnt too sure which one to get but after some reading about the both the intel seemed to be better for gaming. Any opinion on that?
December 29, 2011 3:12:41 PM

Yep! AMD is a great option for the budget challenged, but you seem to have enough budget to stick wtih Intel. The Intel i5-2500k is the ideal gaming CPU at the moment.

Have you purchased the power supply yet? If not, there are better options...
December 29, 2011 3:13:53 PM

The Arctic Power 700 will most definitely not work.

Even if it could give its stated wattage which I don't think it can, it at a minimum doesn't have enough PCIE connectors to plug into the 5850 and power it. It also likely doesn't have enough SATA power connectors as well. four of these is just not enough.

Change it to a Corsair 520w or an XFX 550w instead.
!