New computer build worked fine, then stopped.

zachary17

Honorable
Apr 6, 2012
Hello everyone. I am novice in the computer building world but have my share of tinkering. I just built a new computer last week here is the specs:

Antec 300 case
MSI p67a-g43
i5-2550k
Antec 500watt earthwatts 80 bronze
16gb 1333 ram corsair
Cooler master CPU cooler
500gb western digital hard drive
Visiontek hd5450 video card

Everything was working fine I even had it OC @ 4.6 with 1.305volts and stayed under 60 C running prime95. At the time the computer shut off it was at idle loading the MSI control center NOT oced. It shut off, blinked once then stayed off. I then turned it back on and it just sits there with all the fans and lights on and doesnt boot or do anything. Most of the parts were bought new, a few refurbished. Your write ups helped me when I first got the computer built but I cant seem to find anything related to the issues I am having now. Any advice would be great! Thanks.

windryyder

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2011
Hi,

I would first disconnect everything except for the cpu (and its fan), 1 stick of ram, and the video card and then try to boot. If it doesnt boot, try a different stick of ram or try a different ram slot. If you are still not getting at least the BIOS, I would next look at the video card. Either try onboard video if it has it or another video card to rule out video. If it still will not POST, I would next look at the power supply, then motherboard, and lastly the cpu. It may be worth trying to reset the BIOS on your system board as well. Some mother boards have a jumper that will do this. If your's does not, unplug the power from the system board, then remove the CMOS battery and hold down the power button for 10-20 seconds to discharge the board. Then put the battery back in and try to power it up again. You can also try to put the system board on a piece of cardboard or other non-conductive surface and try to boot from there. The reason to do this would be to rule out the system board getting a short from the computer case. This can happen if all of the spacers are not installed and part of the circuits are touching the metal of the case.

zachary17

Honorable
Apr 6, 2012
Okay I swapped the ram around every which way and different sticks, different channels, and what not still no go. I tried to reset the cmos with the jumper but I havent done it before so I am not positive if it worked. I will try this old video card I got and see if that changes. Even though all my lights and fans are charging up the PSU could still be bad? Thanks

Chaz21

Honorable
Mar 6, 2012

Remove the power cord from the wall for a few minutes to reset the PSU. Then try.

zachary17

Honorable
Apr 6, 2012
I tried to reset the PSU like you said, also tried to reset the cmos again. I unhooked everything down to the essential items and still no go. I also tried a different hard drive and different video card. Anything else you guys think I can try to narrow this down? I have a spare MOBO but its new in box and planned to return it to newegg. If I open it I will have to pay restocking fees.

windryyder

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2011
To reset the CMOS without using the jumper, you need to unplug the powersupply from the wall, then remove the CMOS battery from the systemboard. (this is a coin shaped battery and usually just snaps out). Hold down the power button for 10-20 seconds and that should discharge the board and reset the BIOS to defaults. I would try that before getting another systemboard

zachary17

Honorable
Apr 6, 2012
I actually did it that way, used the CMOS button i found on the back and I did the jumper still didn't work. Also wanted to mention all 4 lights were green on the mobo so if anyone else has this issue, they can find this helpful.

I sent back the MSI board and got a Bio-Star, been working fine with no issues so far. So it looks like the mobo was bad after all. Thanks for all your help!