Sign in with
Your question

Need Help Choosing a Wireless Card

Last response: in Systems
December 29, 2011 5:46:35 PM

Quote:
Unfortunately I can't get wired internet to my setup (unless I can get it through a phone jack?) so I need to buy a wireless card. Do you guys have any suggestions for specific models or brands? What features should I be looking for to determine whether a product is high quality? What data rate would you recommend?

Old Question:
I'm In the process of building and I'm almost finished. My case comes with an led light strip on the outside of the case (about 8 inches long and a centimeter thick) which is powered by a combo molex plug. The only molex line I have connected to my PSU has all four plugs being used to power two 6 pin plugs for my gpu (gtx 560). Is it alright if I hook up the lights to one of those molex plugs?

I have another molex line I could connect but it would be annoying to have the whole cord when only one plug is being used.

More about : choosing wireless card

a b B Homebuilt system
December 29, 2011 6:02:45 PM

Should be fine, fans/lights don't draw much power, maybe a newer psu with pci plugs is on the cards though?
:p 
Moto
m
l
December 29, 2011 6:11:14 PM

Yeah I do have pci plugs but the PSU is only semi modular and the molex line can't be removed, so I thought I might as well use it.

Anyways I'll try it and if it blows up I'll blame you :p 
m
l
Related resources
a c 136 B Homebuilt system
December 29, 2011 6:17:37 PM

if the lights cause a problem your power supply is not strong enough to run the graphics cards safely .

Go ahead . Plug it in
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
December 29, 2011 6:57:05 PM

Use the pci plugs to power the card, its why they are there :p 
Moto
m
l
December 31, 2011 3:19:34 PM

The little latch on the PSU's pci plugs were offcentre so that they would be in the middle if you used the little two pin plug hanging off it to make it a eight pin plug. Didn't know if that was okay so I just used what came with the gpu.

But everything is working great now, thanks for your help. I have a new question now though, and that's about what wireless card I should get.

Unfortunately I can't get wired internet to my setup (unless I can get it through a phone jack?) so I need to buy a wireless card. Do you guys have any suggestions for specific models or brands? What features should I be looking for to determine whether a product is high quality? What data rate would you recommend?
m
l
!