Will two 6870's get to Hot in crossfire

mattallum

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2011
Hi there,

I have at the moment 1 6870 card and on idle it runs at a reasonable 30-32c and when i play GTA4 it gets up to 70c i am not to sure if that's overly hot or not, but i am shortly going to get a second 6870 do the two cards share temp between them ie on load but still give you better performance or will both cards get to 70c and spontaneously Combust in front of me any help will be appreciated

I have about 7 fans with a 200mm and 120mm near enough to it ...any way i can keep them alot cooler... maybe some way of altering the GPU fan if possible to a higher percentage

otoliflands

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2011
Well GTA IV is a complete Stress program but 70c isnt hot !
You should worry if it gets 85c !
You should get a Cooler Master V10 if you want both graphics cards :)

larkspur

Distinguished

As long as your case has good ventilation (and it sounds like you have plenty of fans) you should be ok. What is important is that each card has a little space around it (particularly on the fan side of the card). Some case/motherboard combos have the 2nd card butting right up almost touching a wall inside the case or have the cards right next to each other stifling air flow. Basically as long as your cards have a little air space around them so air can easily flow into their intakes, they should be fine. 70c is fine. Like someone else said, you can start getting concerned over 80c. Your cards will throttle-down if overheated (system might crash too). I think they run up to 100c without throttling but anything over 80 is putting a great deal of heat-wear on the chips which will lower their lifespan.

70'C is a normal temp. Should worry if they reach >90'C.
Well, I think the temps will be raising a little bit if you're CF two 6870. So, which model is your 6870? Is it the one that blow the hot air inside the case or the one blow out of the back card?

mattallum

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2011
Thanks for the advise, i did also change my fan speed (TRIXX)on my GPU just now, although it does get quite loud it does do a good job at getting the heat out or in not sure, i am thinking changing both settings on crossfire and hopefully that will help a lot with keeping cool.

My case is a nzxt phantom so there is plenty of airflow just not sure about spacing between pcie slots, MOB is a p8p67 EVO

This is my card- http://www.ebuyer.com/284121-sapphire-hd-6870-1gb-gddr5-dual-dvi-dual-mini-displayport-hdmi-pci-e-11179-17-20g

mattallum

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2011

Yeah that's the board I currently have its a descent MOB, annoyingly TRIXX wont keep my custom fan settings so when I Min the screen it goes to auto and gets hot the only way so far is just keep trixx open, is there a save button any were. the main reason for CF was for Skyrim in 10 days time to enjoy setting the the Max!!!