Sign in with
Your question

Upgrading the x4 955 to x6 1055t

Last response: in CPUs
April 6, 2012 11:59:56 PM

Hello, currently i have a 955 quad core cpu and i think it's pretty decent, especialy with a ssd, but 1 thing bothers me; the temps.. when i'm playing bf3 the cpu gets +-65°, normally this cpu's max temp is 62° so i think it will brake some day if i continue to heat up the cpu like this

So, i found a guy that wants to buy my cpu, and i searched the net and i found a 1055t. But.. is it worth it? I can buy it for 100€

I benched my system with the 1055t and it seems it's definitely faster, especially the Compression., that makes it interesting

(This computer = AMD 955), btw; i was thinking also about the fx-6100 but it seems it haves even worser performance than my current cpu

What would you do in my place?

Thx!

More about : upgrading 955 1055t

a b à CPUs
April 7, 2012 12:11:35 AM

Are you overclocking?

You likely aren't going to see much performance increase in BF3. And most games don't use more than 3 threads, the ones that do BARELY benefit.

A 3.8-4ghz Phenom II 955 is better for gaming than a 3.2-3.5ghz 1055T.

Get a nice cooler and OC your CPU to the limit.

Do you have any other uses besides gaming that can efficiently utilize 6 cores?
April 7, 2012 12:20:12 AM

So you're using a Phenom II quad core, and you want to upgrade to a Phenom II six core but you're concerned with temperatures? What kind of cooling are you using? make sure you have a few good fans and the inside of your case isn't too dirty or clustered, especially the fans. Hopefully, you have a case that is a decent design for cooling.

As far as the FX processor goes, i'm pretty sure it is not compatible with your system. You should make sure to post your computer specs when you have concerns.
Related resources
April 7, 2012 12:38:16 AM

Sometimes i convert video's, but my gpu card with CUDA encodes it relatively fast

Other than that, i just do normal computer usage

I do have a Zalman CNPS10X heatsink but i did really everything to keep it cool but the thing still gets hot :( 

My case is a cheap ass case that costme 20€ but i have decent aircooling, in and outtake and i did my cablemangement

Here is a pic of the inside; http://i44.tinypic.com/27wvmt.jpg i don't know if anything is wrong.. i already reseated the cpu and heatsink but it still gets hot when gaming

When i do stresstest with AIDA64 it gets 61° max... when i play bf3 it goes to 65° i don't understand
April 7, 2012 12:44:38 AM

I did try to overlock it to 3.4ghz and 3.6 but no.. with default settings the temps are already critical. When i OC it goes in no time to very high temps.. almost 67°. and i'm not using stock fan :( 
a b à CPUs
April 7, 2012 12:45:38 AM

IMO I wouldn't spend 100€ for under 20% performance increase in one game.

Not to mention, in that review they use a 6990, so I'm assuming there was bottlenecking happening. Most CPU-scaling reviews (even multiplayer) don't show too much of an increase in performance with faster CPUs (in BF3) using a lesser GPU.

However, I will say BF3 seems to use >4 threads better than just about every other multi-threaded game I've seen.

"For the most part Battlefield 3 doesn’t appear to be all that CPU demanding, at least this is what we can tell from testing the multiplayer portion that the beta allows us to test. We'll be keen to revisit these results once the full version of the game is released."

I guess the beta was only 32 player, though.

April 7, 2012 12:48:24 AM

I have a GTX 560, the gpu gets 70° maybe it's the hot air that goes into the heatsink? I changed the fan of the gpu with a 120mm, but i doubt it that could be the reason

It's like this:
http://i55.tinypic.com/2pypco5.jpg

And yes i only play bf3 at 1920x1080 at high setting, 2xMSAA with 64 players
a b à CPUs
April 7, 2012 2:02:09 AM

dwensch. This is my story. I started out with a 955 on a M4A88t ( http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...)

Last christmas i decided i wanted Bull Dozer for christmas (I should have gotten a I5 or a Phenom II X6 Six core while they were on the market) So i got a Sabertooth 990FX and a FX 6100. the Chipset turned to be the only good thing that come out of that.

Just recently i managed to get a Phenom II 980 X4 (While its still a quad core, its clocked at 3.7 ghz stock. it performs around par with a Phenom Six core at 3.2-3.3 give or take) I run it on the 990FX board i have and the performance boost i got allowed me to finally do what i couldn't with Bull dozer. To Max all games out (Or mostly) I could now play Single Player on BF3 on Ultra with FX 6100 i was limited to High settings. While i still can't play Multiplayer on Ultra because i run out of VRAM.

As far as temps goes. You should get a After Market cooler. I have a Corsair A70 and my idles temps with my 955 used to idle around 43-45 with stock cooler(i tried it in the 990FX motherboard once or twice) Idle temps with the stock cooler of the 955 (Its a better cooler than the one that comes with FX) Temps increads by 5C from the 955 to the 6100. After getting Corsair A70. Now my idles temps are 34C sometimes even 30C. Even going back to Phenom, my temps stayed the same. Sometimes i see it sit around 37, but still its better than your 65C temps. As for Max temps i never see it go over 40-43C.

Installion: for the A70 and A50, installion is clear. thread the AM3 clamp through the center of the cooler's heatpipes and simply clamp it like you'd do with a stock cooler and put the fans on.

So my answers: Corsair A50(1 fan included) or A70 (2 2000rpms fans included) CPU cooler

CPU upgrades on your setup: Phenom II 960T, 975, 965, 980....

The only thing you can really do about temps is to get a better case perhaps. Even a better motherboard can change your temps. Better AirFlow through the case, or a better motherboard with better VRM's and heatsinks over the VRMS, Bridges and other components may make a change.

I hope this has helped. I could have wrote a Book on my story!
a b à CPUs
April 7, 2012 2:33:25 AM

Abetter cooling case is what you need.
Your videocard dumps all of its heat into the case. The air reaching the cpu is alredy hot from the video card.
Give this a try.
Play your game with the side cover off. If temperatures stay close to the same. You have a problem with your CPU heatsink.
If temperatures drop the you need better case cooling.
a b à CPUs
April 7, 2012 5:45:47 AM

As others have said, address your cooling issues. There's nothing wrong with your CPU and any benefit you'll see from an X6 1055t in gaming will be minimal -and most of the time the X4 will be beating it. Remove your side panel to see if your temps drop. If they don't substantially reseat your HSF and make sure you're using a decent thermal compound and are applying it correctly.
a b à CPUs
April 7, 2012 3:08:05 PM

You will see a big difference in getting a better case, which does not cost the earth an Antec 300 costs around 60 euroes and will offer you a massive leap in cooling ability from your current set up, which in turn will enable you to OC your 955 for better results.
a c 83 à CPUs
April 7, 2012 4:00:26 PM

dwensch said:
Sometimes i convert video's, but my gpu card with CUDA encodes it relatively fast

Other than that, i just do normal computer usage

I do have a Zalman CNPS10X heatsink but i did really everything to keep it cool but the thing still gets hot :( 

My case is a cheap ass case that costme 20€ but i have decent aircooling, in and outtake and i did my cablemangement

Here is a pic of the inside; http://i44.tinypic.com/27wvmt.jpg i don't know if anything is wrong.. i already reseated the cpu and heatsink but it still gets hot when gaming

When i do stresstest with AIDA64 it gets 61° max... when i play bf3 it goes to 65° i don't understand

I'm not sure how AIDA64 stress tests, but if it only stresses the CPU than those temps make perfect sense, as BF3 will cause your video card to heat up and your case has HORRIBLE airflow causing everything inside to heat up. I might be wrong, but it looks like you have a micro ATX board and a 90mm exhaust fan, you never should have put a Phenom II in that case. The 6 core will run hot too, unless you get a case with good airflow.
April 7, 2012 5:45:15 PM

Okay thanks guys, i will look for a better case then

Meanwhile i applied new thermal paste and now my cpu is getting max 61° under full load! So with only new paste i have made it cooler!

The cpu haves save temp now but when i overclock it to like 3.4ghz it will run hotter again :( 

Btw, lol it's a normal atx motherboard with a normal atx case. But i think i put to much hardware inside, 2x dvd, 3x hdd and thats the reason why everything heatens up. I tought by adding a 120mm fan for intake and 90mm for outtake i should resolved the problem but no.. :( 
a b à CPUs
April 7, 2012 6:33:48 PM

You could cut a hole in the bottom of the case and install another 120mm exhaust fan and elevate your case a little off the table. That would get the heat from the video card out of the case, rather than it blowing warm air around on the inside.
a b à CPUs
April 7, 2012 8:05:50 PM

+1 to egilbe a quick fix would be to cut a hole in the bottom and add a 120mm intake blowing cool air onto your gpu, you may even fit an exhaust in the roof something like this.

!