Graphic card driver failure

xf1xcaliber

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2011
i am having trouble with graphic card drivers.error says driver stopped working.tried two different cards but get similar results.the radeon 6950 just goes to black screen at various times and i have to cold boot system to restart.the gtx 460 se automatically recovers and just shows that it occured but keeps working.system is a new build.sabertooth x58 mobo,6 gigs dominator ram ,i7 proccessor/650wt psu,win 7 home ed.64bit on a new raptur 10,000 rpm hd.i used detective driver to install all current drivers but it still happens.any suggestions would be helpfull thanx

xf1xcaliber

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2011

forgot to say my temps are running very cool. at highest the temp was 50 c

xf1xcaliber

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2011
already tried that hopeing that would fix the problem,system did stay up longer for a few days but went back to black screen again at various times,maybe ten min, or sometimes an hr.weird how 2 different cards have driver problems.when i installed the cards i went straight to the website and loaded drivers from them so they would be up to date.i had no card drivers before that.could something else be causing this

What is your PSU model and name brand?

Have you tried re-seating your video card and reconnecting the power? You didn't damage your PCI-E slot or video card did you (physically bent pins)?

Do you have another video card you could try out besides that GTX 460?

xf1xcaliber

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2011
yes i have a radean 6950 but that one shuts down completely. the slots and cards are good.the 460 stays running and recovers without shutting down.the bigger 2 gig 6950 goes to black screen and i have hold down the power button to restart.