Can I rule out a software or driver issue for crash?

dfgreggs

Honorable
Mar 22, 2012
I am having a consistent crash issue with my computer. I've updated drivers, reinstalled components and rum memory and hard drive tests.

The crash isn't consistent with a specific task or time frame.

Here's the question though: If I get the crash even during my boot sequence and not even at a consistent point in the bootup, can I definitively rule out a driver issue or windows issue and conclude that it must be hardware related?

Thanks

Solution
Hi :)

Run A hard drive test in DOS...HIRENS CD etc....

And yes its NOT A windows or driver issue if you are getting it while booting...its a HARDWARE ISSUE...

All the best Brett :)
Hello dfgreggs;

Not really. You can try testing a non-Windows OS and see how your hardware handles that.
Ubuntu Desktop: It's not Windows, but is enough like a windows GUI you can figure it out.
http://www.ubuntu.com/download/ubuntu/download
Download and burn the .iso to a CD or USB thumb drive. (The USB thumb drive is much faster booting).
Use F12 at power on to choose the boot device.
Crashing while running Ubuntu? It's not Windows drivers causing a problem.

dfgreggs

Honorable
Mar 22, 2012
So I've run Ubuntu and no crashes yet but it's a little early to say I think. However, I mentioned I ran a memory test. I ran memtest86 v 4.2 and no errors. I am running memtest86 v 4.0 and I've got a ton of errors. I'll attach a screenshot for reference but I have 8gb installed and the test was running on more than the 8gb. Is that why I'm getting errors or some other reason?

dfgreggs

Honorable
Mar 22, 2012
I ran the Western Digital program in windows and in DOS and no errors came up.

Still not a crash while actively in Ubuntu. However, multiple crashes while booting and many times I'm failing to get a post screen at all. This seems to happen more after the computer has been running a while. All temps are looking good though.

I'm thinking Motherboard but I don't want to go spend $100 or so on a new mobo and that not fix the problem.

Depends on when. Most people include the OS startup when they say "the system is booting". So I would obtain more specific info before declaring it a hardware problem.

More information would be helpful.

Tell us more about your system. The hardware, the software, and any changes to said hardware/software that may have been made prior to this crash issue appearing.

And where exactly in the boot sequence did those crashes occur?

dfgreggs

Honorable
Mar 22, 2012
I'm getting the crash at various times during the boot sequence. Sometimes I'm getting a failure to boot or get my initial post screen at all. More than anything I'm crashing after initial post screen or not getting the post screen at all.

The computer is running a HDD check right now and been going for a while. During DOS tests which I have run many and my couple hours on Ubuntu I haven't crashed at all but have crashed in Windows multiple times.

I ran the memory test as mentioned in previous post with errors on v 4.0 and no errors on 4.2.

My system is as follows

AMD Athalon Phenom II x6 1090t
ASUS M4A79XTD EVO mobo
8gb GSkill DDR3 1600 Ripjaws memory
2x HD Radeon 5770 in Crossfire
Windows 7

I have updated all video drivers, bios update, windows updates, device drivers, etc.

I last made changes to my system with a new keyboard and mouse in December/January but the crashes really started about a month ago and have gotten more and more frequent.

Prime95 is an overclocker favorite. Run the stress test for a few hours and see if it returns any errors.

PSU is also a possibility. What PSU are you using?

dfgreggs

Honorable
Mar 22, 2012
So after a fresh install of windows and about an hour or two of solid performance....it crashed. The crash occurred while I was simply download and away from the computer.

I think it has to be hardware at this point. My best guess is motherboard or PSU. I can test the PSU at a shop tomorrow but since it's not failing during high demand like gaming and the crash is occurring at seemingly random points, I doubt that is the problem.

Sometimes when it crashes the motherboard seems to have reset itself because it tells me that all 6 of my cores aren't unlocked anymore. It also tells me that the overclock has failed even though I am not overclocking.

Anyway, seems like a good place to start unless someone has better ideas.

dfgreggs

Honorable
Mar 22, 2012
I replaced the motherboard and after about a week now of solid performance and no issues it looks like things are working fine.

It explains the varied issues I was getting from my BSOD and of course crashing during the boot sequence.

Thanks for the help