Your question

Help troubleshooting?

Tags:
  • Homebuilt
  • Motherboards
  • Systems
Last response: in Systems
December 29, 2011 7:23:37 PM

So when I got home from visiting family after Christmas, found that my computer wouldn't turn on. Tried a different power source/cable, but the motherboard was getting no power. Plugged in a second power supply, and hooked up just the big motherboard power cable to it, and it turns on now.
So a bad powersupply, no big deal; fill out the RMA form, put in a backup. But now although the computer turns on, I get no video, and there's no beeps or anything.

I've tried switching out the video card, removing all but 1 stick of memory (in different locations), removing all memory; same result everytime. The fans all spin, but no video, and no beeps. I also tried plugging a PCI diagnostic card, but it didn't give me any hexcodes. I'm afraid it's my CPU or motherboard, but I don't have any spares to try testing with...

Specs:
MB: GIGABYTE EX58-UD4P CPU: i7 920 VIDEO: 8800GT RAM: 6GB OCZ

Anybody have any ideas what to try next?

More about : troubleshooting

a b B Homebuilt system
a b V Motherboard
January 8, 2012 5:07:08 PM

Just curious but do you have it plugged into a surge protector and is it possible it got zapped during your absense either by storm or ordinary power surge?

It sounds like some portion of the motherboard either got zapped or has failed on it's own.
m
l
!