Asus Crosshair V Formula Z memory

Status
Not open for further replies.

vashonr

Honorable
Feb 4, 2013
Hello and thank you for reading and maybe responding in advance. Please be nice I have searched this topic and didnt find the exact answer.
I have just purchased an FX8350 and Asus Crosshair V Formula Z MB, corsair obsidian800D case, corsair atx1200i power supply, Plextor 256GB SSD, Nvidia N670GTX-PM2D2GD5/OC, XSPC Rasa 750 RX360 .
I wanted to purchase 32GB(4x8GB) of Corsairs Dominator platinum 2133MHz but I am unsure it it will function properly since it is not on ASUS's Qualified Vendor List. I see that running at 2400MHz or 1600MHz there is an option for 32 GB but why not 2133? I didnt feel that maxing out the MHz at 2400 on the memory was desirable hence why I wanted 2133MHz. My question is: if I buy the dominator memory will it work at 2133MHz for all 32GB? Should I buy it? If not what do you suggest? thanks to all of Tom's Hardware members for putting up with my question!

Solution

Longer latency? You'd want shorter. Of course, the faster the frequency, typically the higher latency. That is a marginal bump though. I think the 16 gig option would suit you best.

I'm not sure how much RAM is used for audio production so I can't give you a 100% for sure answer. I can tell you though that I use a computer with 16 gigs of RAM at work. I am always running at least one virtual machine, have a plethora of autocad drawings, pdfs, etc open, and...

vashonr

Honorable
Feb 4, 2013
I am an audio engineer and am looking into video editing as well. I have an audio 8x8 interface supporting midi. Also I dont want to upgrade in a few years. Kinda just want to overbuild and forget it for a while. I dont actually do a lot of gaming but I do have a steam account.

vashonr

Honorable
Feb 4, 2013
So why does asus boast 32gb AT 2400mhZ if its unusable :/ Are they just getting ready for newer more powerful processors? If so, and if I did buy say 2133 at 32GB would I just be buying this ahead of time in preparation for the newer processor?

wiggbot

Honorable
Dec 22, 2012
It boasts that speed because big numbers are pretty. Honestly, if you feel you require the faster RAM, go for it. There are several comparisons between RAM speed on the net.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/6372/memory-performance-16gb-ddr31333-to-ddr32400-on-ivy-bridge-igp-with-gskill

While this isn't for your processor, it should give you a good idea. You get improvements, but they are small and eventually not cost effective.

On a sidenote, it isn't the best practice to build a pc with the intention to upgrade later. Tech is always getting better, and trying to build a "futureproof" PC isn't worth it. Build something that will work well in the now, and worry about the later later.

vashonr

Honorable
Feb 4, 2013
So it makes sense to me to buy the dual channel kit 16gb (2x8GB) at 1866 versus the 32GB (4x8GB) at 1600 since you think I wont notice or need all 32GB. It is a cheaper buy, marginally longer latency (0-1-0-3 difference)and is still 288MHz faster clock overall. Do you agree?

wiggbot

Honorable
Dec 22, 2012

Longer latency? You'd want shorter. Of course, the faster the frequency, typically the higher latency. That is a marginal bump though. I think the 16 gig option would suit you best.

I'm not sure how much RAM is used for audio production so I can't give you a 100% for sure answer. I can tell you though that I use a computer with 16 gigs of RAM at work. I am always running at least one virtual machine, have a plethora of autocad drawings, pdfs, etc open, and other simulation software. I've never even come close to using 16 gigs. Again, this may not be the case for you.

Solution

vashonr

Honorable
Feb 4, 2013
I aspire to be as redundant as possible. I am sure to not need it all but would rather not need it and have it than not have it and need it :) Your communication has been polite, full of knowledge and very professional! Your help has been a credit to this site and to helping in general! Thank you for your time wiggbot!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.