Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Is this good?

Last response: in Components
Share
April 7, 2012 5:01:58 AM

Ok so i am getting a build with 3 6870's(most likely, unless i decide on another gpu), and i was wondering if the AX1200 from corsair is good, or is it too much wattage? Should i go with a 1000w instead?

No i am no going to oc ram, cpu, etc.(except for the gpu's)

Thanks for reading
-terps

More about : good

a c 111 ) Power supply
April 7, 2012 5:41:42 AM

You can't crossfire 3 6870's, you can only do 2. The current psu you have atm is perfectly fine for crossfireing both of them. It even has enough for a dual 570, and possibly 680 setup.
m
0
l
a b ) Power supply
April 7, 2012 5:46:29 AM

3x6870s?absolute waste friend!they will give you good performance but-
1-)3-way Sli/CF is not owrth it.scaling is bad.for example if you are getting 30 fps with one 6870,3x will not make it 90!
2-)they will produce ridiculous amount of heat and noise.
3-) unnecessary power consumption.
a single 6870 roughly costs $160.3 will cost $480.for $500,you can get the fastest single gpu gtx 680.which is a newer technology.it is 28nm gpu,less heat+cooler operation+less power consumption+more power+more overclocking=endless fun.
i hope you got my point.
m
0
l
Related resources
a c 111 ) Power supply
April 7, 2012 5:55:34 AM

I didn't know you could trifire 6870's...
m
0
l
April 7, 2012 5:59:27 AM

1000W is overkill for any dual SLI setup. 850W would be more suitable.
m
0
l
a c 111 ) Power supply
April 7, 2012 6:01:10 AM

masseybe84 said:
1000W is overkill for any dual SLI setup. 850W would be more suitable.

650W is plenty for his needs.
m
0
l
April 7, 2012 6:24:55 AM

And I'm almost certain 6870s only have 1 crossfire bridge. For around the same price as three 6870s you can get 2 570s or a single 680. Either would be a better choice.
m
0
l
a b ) Power supply
April 7, 2012 7:41:02 AM

i dont think you can put three 6870s but you can put 6870x2+6870.
m
0
l
April 7, 2012 7:51:53 AM

hellfire24 said:
i dont think you can put three 6870s but you can put 6870x2+6870.

Hmm yeah I forgot about the 6870x2 cards out on the market.
m
0
l
a b ) Power supply
April 7, 2012 8:22:23 AM

i guess you can quadfire but that's a no brainer!
m
0
l
April 7, 2012 3:50:22 PM

did i ever say i way going to 3 way crossfire? no

So for 3 6870's would a 1200w be fine or should i go with a 1000w?(my original question that no one attempted to answer)
m
0
l
a c 158 ) Power supply
April 7, 2012 4:04:35 PM

An OCd sytem with an HD6870 will consume somewhere around 300W: http://www.guru3d.com/article/radeon-hd-6850-6870-revie...
A single 6870 consumes about 140W at full load. Since you've failed to state your actual configuration and whether or not you were going to OC the GPUs, I will assume the two additional cards will not be OCd and use full load power consumption. 300W + 140W + 140W = 580W. Using your current PSU, you would still have 170W spare capacity and operate at 77% PSU capacity while at full load. While this operating load is not at the center of the efficiency sweet spot, it is close to it. If you're going to OC all of the GPUs, then power consumption will obviously be higher while at full load. The amount will vary based on your OC level and the cards. Your current PSU is sufficient to power your intended config, but OCing the GPUs may require additional capacity while at full load.
m
0
l
April 7, 2012 4:07:33 PM

Rugger said:
An OCd sytem with an HD6870 will consume somewhere around 300W: http://www.guru3d.com/article/radeon-hd-6850-6870-revie...
A single 6870 consumes about 140W at full load. Since you've failed to state your actual configuration and whether or not you were going to OC the GPUs, I will assume the two additional cards will not be OCd and use full load power consumption. 300W + 140W + 140W = 580W. Using your current PSU, you would still have 170W spare capacity and operate at 77% PSU capacity while at full load. While this operating load is not at the center of the efficiency sweet spot, it is close to it. If you're going to OC all of the GPUs, then power consumption will obviously be higher while at full load. The amount will vary based on your OC level and the cards. Your current PSU is sufficient to power your intended config, but OCing the GPUs may require additional capacity while at full load.


If i were to oc all of the gpu's but nothing else, should i get a corsair ax1200?

Rest of my build is a amd sempron 145, 4gb of ram, MSI 890FXA-GD70 mobo.


Thanks
m
0
l
a c 158 ) Power supply
April 7, 2012 4:36:38 PM

I based my number on the rig in your sig. Your CPU/rig will consume considerably less....probably closer to 150W and that will put your non-OC power consumption at full load around 430W. If you're not using that OCZ ZT 750W in your sig, then a good quality 750W PSU would be more than sufficient to power your rig. The issue will be finding a PSU (6) 6-pin 75W PCIe power connectors. Here are a couple of options:
1. PC P&P Silencer Mk II 950W @ $130 after MIR: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
2. NZXT Hale82 @ $140: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

I'd go for the PC P&C: 80+ Silver, 7 year warranty and less expensive.
m
0
l
a b ) Power supply
April 7, 2012 4:42:46 PM

Rugger said:
I based my number on the rig in your sig. Your CPU/rig will consume considerably less....probably closer to 150W and that will put your non-OC power consumption at full load around 430W. If you're not using that OCZ ZT 750W in your sig, then a good quality 750W PSU would be more than sufficient to power your rig. The issue will be finding a PSU (6) 6-pin 75W PCIe power connectors. Here are a couple of options:
1. PC P&P Silencer Mk II 950W @ $130 after MIR: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
2. NZXT Hale82 @ $140: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

I'd go for the PC P&C: 80+ Silver, 7 year warranty and less expensive.


oh my bad!!!i forgot that pc and power cooling psu.recently a toms member(g-unit)got one and he said it is one of the best psu!highly recommended.
m
0
l
!