Motherboard ram speed

Status
Not open for further replies.

pete123edgar

Honorable
Feb 8, 2013
Hi guys, I just bought 2x4 gb dominator platinum at 1600mhz c8, but somehow my maximus v formula only recognize 1333mhz? Is there something wrong because its unstable? Could I manually tweak it to 1600 and not having any trouble? Thank you.

Solution
That RAM is great RAM and it has an XMP profile. Set the XMP profile to the appropriate value in the BIOS (on my board it is XPM Profile 1). Also set the RAM speed limit in the BIOS to 1600 MHz.

I had a similar issue with my Vengeance RAM and this is what I did. Works fine at 1600 MHz now.
That RAM is great RAM and it has an XMP profile. Set the XMP profile to the appropriate value in the BIOS (on my board it is XPM Profile 1). Also set the RAM speed limit in the BIOS to 1600 MHz.

I had a similar issue with my Vengeance RAM and this is what I did. Works fine at 1600 MHz now.

Solution

pete123edgar

Honorable
Feb 8, 2013

Sorry, I am new to all this, but how do you enter xmp and what will you do then. THanks!

on asus mb it under the ai tweeker page in the bios..dram speed (default is auto) change it to xmp.
xmp is intel spec for ram that overclocked. if you were to run cpu-z and under the spd info for the ram the last box (xmp) would be the fastest your ram could run.

Since you are new to this, start by reading so that you understand the settings in the BIOS and its effects. Then do what smorizio suggested; download and run "CPU-Z" (speed monitoring tool) - then make the settings in the BIOS after reading the motherboard manual.

http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/cpu-z.html (click on the correct download button)

BEFORE hitting that "Clear MOS" verify what the setting for your HDD is, ie IDE or ahci, or Sata. Clearing CMOS may change that setting and if so you may not be able to Boot into windows until you change it back to what it was.

PS if this is for a Sandybidge CPU, 1333 is the default setting as DDR3-1600 voids the Warrantee on SB CPUs. For IB the default was raised to DDR3-1600.
Personnally DDR3-1600 works fine in SB.

Status
Not open for further replies.