Computer restarts under load

Status
Not open for further replies.

ndfantp

Honorable
Dec 9, 2012
Hello,

I recently built a new computer; however, whenever I put a stress test on it, such as Prime 95 with memory torture test, or run a system intensive game, it will restart. I have run Prime 95 with only a CPU test and it does not restart. Thus, I've concluded that the problem lies with the ram. I do not have it overclocked and it is brand new. Could this be a ram problem? Any ideas on a fix before I RMA it would be appreciated.

Thanks.

System:

AMD FX 8350
Ram: Geil Evo Veloce 1600 (GEV316gb1600c9dc)
Dual Nvidia 7800 GTX
Gigabyte 990fxa-UD3 Mobo
WD 250 gb hd.
Antec 650 Watt NEO power

Solution
Ensure proper XMP profile loaded (Ram timing correct) and test again. If it restarts remove 1 stick of ram and test again. If it restarts swap that stick with the other stick. if it restarts it is likley an incompatabilty between the ram and the motherboard or a defective motherboard. do you have another stick of DDR3 you can use to test compatabilty?

ndfantp

Honorable
Dec 9, 2012
Well I reseated the ram, opened up the side of the computer case, directed a fan inside to increase air flow, and uninstalled all unnecessary components to limit power usage to the fans, mobo, cpu, ram, one hdd, and one graphics card. After running prime 95 on medium memory usage the pc restarted after 4 seconds.

Any other ideas?

Ensure proper XMP profile loaded (Ram timing correct) and test again. If it restarts remove 1 stick of ram and test again. If it restarts swap that stick with the other stick. if it restarts it is likley an incompatabilty between the ram and the motherboard or a defective motherboard. do you have another stick of DDR3 you can use to test compatabilty?

Solution

ndfantp

Honorable
Dec 9, 2012

Tried this and it seems as if one of the ram modules is faulty. Been running Prime 95 for a bit and no crash thus far.

Thanks for the help!

Status
Not open for further replies.