BSOD On Start-Up - Windows 7

mclovits

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2012
Recently, as I start up, I make it to the animated Windows logo and then my system freezes, giving me a BSOD. After I restart I have the option to run the start up repair which doesn't seem to do much, and I'm then usually able to start after I manually shut off the system.

Also, I'm getting screens with green and red hash marks when I am pretty sure the new Nvidia driver is failing. My graphics card has been overclocked for a month now, but I returned the clocks to stock and the problems still proceeded. All my processor clocks and voltages are now stock as well. These blue screen keep getting more and more frequent and I have scanned for Viruses and Spyware countless times, I also cleaned the registry. Any programs I installed recently I have already removed (After Effects CS5 Trial and Teamspeak) to see if they were the issue. I don't know if this is a hardware error or what but the GPU is only about 2 years old give or take a few months.

Any help would be greatly appreciated because I can't get these screens to go away. Even after moving all my clock speeds back to stock, I am still getting these screens during regular use and almost every time I start up.

My Specs:
Phenom II x4 965 BE, Water cooled
GTX 560Ti
8Gb Ram
500Gb HDD/ 64Gb SSD
Mobo: M4A87TD EVOAntec 650 Watt power supply

Feel free to ask questions.

Solution
Whats the STOP code/error message?

And in the meantime, check RAM with memtest86/Prime95 to confirm its not a RAM issue [though if you can't even boot, its more likely to be HDD or driver related...]

Chaz21

Honorable
Mar 6, 2012
On the assumption that the OS is on the SSD (and maybe not much else) try reinstalling (cleanly) Windows first. If the problem persist after that at least you eliminated your software as a problem. It does sound like a "conflict" between Windows/Asus/NVidia. This procedure cost very little (except time) and would narrow your problem to one of hardware failure.

mclovits

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2012
Ok, cool, I also installed my brother's GPU just to see if my card was the issue like i read on another forum and I got the screen again. I'll look around a bit more, but I'll probably end up re installing Windows like you suggested. Thanks for the quick response by the way.

mclovits

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2012
I tested TF2 to get the screen and succeeded after about 10 minutes, the Stop error code was: 0x00000109 which I have read is RAM related, I bought this pc second hand and it seems that the guy who sold it to me had 2 or 3 different brands of RAM installed. I'll run the memory diagnostic to see what results I get. Is it possible for me to borrow RAM from my other PC and install it and test for the BSOD again? Is there anything I'd have to install to do that?

mclovits

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2012
I'll try memtest now and get back to you. I actually was able to use the MemOK button on my Motherboard. That seemed to fix the issue, but (because I wasn't thinking) I tried overclocking the processor and the screens returned. MemOK isn't working now, and I can't seem to get a stable overclock on my CPU to save my life (I never have been able to).

mclovits

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2012
Ok, sorry about the late response, I've been away from my PC. I booted into memtest and immediately had a screen of red lines indicating that the first 2000mb or so of my RAM wasn't functioning right. I was feeling confident that this was the issue, as the errors were theoretically on the first stick of RAM. I took out the first stick and moved my configuration over to test at 6gb and eventually 4 gb. For the 6gb I got similar results as on the first test, but I had no errors on the second stick of RAM during the first test. I had a lower amount of errors on the first stick when I tested with 4gb but they were still there. Could this be an issue with my motherboard instead of the RAM itself?