Ram will not work together

MALBECK

Honorable
Feb 14, 2013
Hello,

I just today decided to troubleshoot a few BSOD issues, and rebooted to check the ram in the system,a nd when I went to reboot the system just did a look of power from the MOBO, not ever making it to the bios screen. I took each stick out and and put two in at a time, they seemed to work on one channel on each side, and so I put them all in and same thing. I tested all for two at a time, and discovered that two of the sticks work together, but wont work with the other two and vice versa. Also I noticed that one pair of them booted up into different bios settings, i.e, I turned off express gate, but when I booted the other pair, it was coming back on. So it seems that these 4 sticks of ram have taken sides, and will only work with eachother! anyone ever seen this happen, and know what could be the issue? These are all GSkill 1333 DDR3, sticks, Identical, one set was bought later on, but they have been in this machine and board since last year! tried CMOS reset but that did not help, they just wont boot all of a sudden with all sticks in! These are 8gb each sticks.

Thanks for any input!

I don't 100% understand your troubleshooting, but let's verify some things:

1. If you're overclocking, set everything back to DEFAULT settings.

2. Test ONE stick at a time (read your motherboard manual to determine the proper socket).
- use the XMP "profile" or whatever your motherboard calls it

*If each stick passes then your RAM is likely fine.

Unfortunately, if your RAM is testing as fine individually it's probably a MOTHERBOARD issue. Other than re-flashing your BIOS I'm not sure what else to recommend.

MALBECK

Honorable
Feb 14, 2013
I did reset all the OC'ng, and tested each stick, but like I said it seems the problem is with two sticks, the ones that I bout after the initial ones, so I am thinking the ram took a dump, because the same ram wont boot up all the way, gives an error 1 no MBR found and insert floppy message, while the other sticks wont do that, they just boot right up! Gonn flash the bios and see if it helps, but I am thinking these sticks went bad.

To clarify:
If you use the SAME two slots, one set of RAM passes Memtest but the OTHER set fails?

If so, yes that's bad RAM. It has to be.

There's likely no reason to do anything else except return your RAM if under Warranty.