Trouble setting up a Webserver

pencilman222000

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2011
Hello, I'm having trouble setting up a webserver behind my router. I understand that I can't actually host a webserver behind my router because of my ISP's ToS (I actually read it) but I still want to learn and be able to do it.

The server is set up on a netbook running Windows XP using Apache. It pulls the file to host off of an external hard drive.

I have the server seemingly running, i can type "localhost" or the netbook's IP behind the router into a browser and i get access to my files, but i'm having trouble routing external traffic from the internet.

Because i don't have the netbook with me right now i can't give the exact IP but lets say its 192.168.1.113 behind my router.

Within my routers settings (its a linksys e2500) i go to "Applications and Gaming" and the first tab is "Single Port Forwarding". In addition to the ToS thing my ISP also blocks port 80 so i use a custom setting, name it "Server" and choose external port 8888 to internal port 80 using protocol TCP (i have the choice of TCP, UDP or Both, since i dont really know what these mean, i chose TCP because its what "webserver" defaulted to) to IP 192.168.1.113 (the netbook)

so then after saving settings if i type from an external connection (my cell phone or a friends computer) MYEXTERNALIP:8888 i still don't get a connection.

That's about the depth at which i can get into the problem, for some reason i just can't get a connection through the router in any way. Ive tried ports 8000, 8080, 8888, 8585 and 65535 (the maximum the router told me i could use)

Could i get some help with this? i understand it seems trivial since i wont host it any longer than i need just to see if i can get it to work, but im trying to learn about it and this is a problem i can't seem to get over.

Thanks.

pencilman222000

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2011

if i do this, will the address be MYIP:8888 or will it just be port 80 because the external port is 80? I do know that port 80 is blocked externally because as i said in the first message but it was apparently misunderstood, my ISP does NOT allow webserver's as per TOS and i know for a fact Charter blocks port 80.

I'll give this a try, but it seems backwards to leave the external port as 80 since that is the one that is blocked... but what do i know.

Agili Ron

Honorable
Mar 15, 2012
Hello friends,

Running a server on your home computer is a risky undertaking, and before you start, make sure your computer has all the latest patches and security updates, and that you've done a thorough spyware and virus scan. This tutorial is for advanced users who feel comfortable editing textual configuration files and exposing port 80 on their home computer to the internet. As always, a strong firewall with explicit user-set rules is recommended.

Best regards
Agili Ron