I5-2500k temp seems to be way to high

dtfwithme

Honorable
Mar 14, 2012
My new build with the Intel i5-2500k has the cpu idling at about 50c, I don't know if that is normal or not with the stock heatsink. I searched around a bit and some people say it is normal and some people say that 30c is normal. I am not in the BIOS, and I have nothing at all running. I tried a burn test, and when core 2 hit about 93c I stopped it immediately. I don't have it OCed, nor have I ever. At least not yet. I was waiting till I got a proper cooling system. Any idea if any of these temps are normal? Cause I really don't think that 93c on a burn test is normal at all.

arthurh

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2002
Assuming you find that your HSF is okay, some M/BDs over-volt the CPU way too much which will cause a lot of heat even at stock settings.

You would have to go into BIOS to change it but you could monitor the Vc with CPU-Z and see if it is much above 1.100.

Good luck to you. :sol:

dtfwithme

Honorable
Mar 14, 2012

I checked the heat sink and it seems to be seated correctly. Maybe I should just upgrade to an H50 or H80? Was already planning on doing that sometime soon, and maybe when I installed my current heat sink I screwed up the thermal paste in some odd way. Either way, it is still idling at about 50c, give or take. It's at 1.26-1.33v as I am typing this. The load is at about 0-2% and still at about 49c-51c

arthurh

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2002
Either way, it is still idling at about 50c, give or take. It's at 1.26-1.33v as I am typing this. The load is at about 0-2% and still at about 49c-51c

That voltage is too high for a stock 2500K.

What I would recommend is to go into BIOS and manually sey the CPU voltage to ~ 1.10 and see how that works out.

dtfwithme

Honorable
Mar 14, 2012

I did a little bit of searching through the BIOS and I couldn't seem to figure out how to manually set the CPU voltage. The mobo I am using is the asus v-pro/gen3 with EFI BIOS. Sorry, I'm not exactly all to knowledgeable in this category >.<

arthurh

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2002
I guess I should have asked what your room temperature is cause if too high then of course your CPU temp will be higher than normal.

The very first screen you see when in BIOS is the EZ screen. It has basic info about your PC like temps and voltages. Is this where you are getting your temp and voltage readings from?

First things first, make sure you have the newest BIOS.

Second, once thats done you want to go to the BIOS, the press "Esc" and select "Advanced Mode". That will bring up the older style menus.

Then go to "AI Tweaker" tab and make sure that the BCLK is set to 100, Turbo Ratio is set to Auto as is everything else. Sometimes the mobos will auto overclock themselves and you need to set them to defaults because that voltage and ible temp is wayyyyyy too high.

dtfwithme

Honorable
Mar 14, 2012

I got them from both that and CoreTemp. I am not exactly sure what the temperature is in my room, but I can assure you that it is not warm in here at all ha.

dtfwithme

Honorable
Mar 14, 2012

Alright, thank you. I will do that.

arthurh

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2002
Hey there jimmysmitty hows it going. Good advise by the way. We were getting there.

I use Real Temp for my SB temp checks. LINK

When SB first came out it did not read the temps correctly but have sinse corrected that bug. It works very well now.

I am not exactly sure what the temperature is in my room, but I can assure you that it is not warm in here at all ha.

Great! Just wanted to make sure I did not forget anything. :)

Assuming they are good to go you can control your cpu voltage manually.

Go to Ai Tweaker and scroll down to CPU Voltage. It is probably set to "Offset Mode" by default.

Click on it and it will give you the option "Manual Mode". That opens a window below it allowing you to click + or - to set that voltage. Set it to 1.100 volts, F10 and Enter.

Let it boot up and see if yor PC is stable. Use CPU-Z to monitor your voltage and Prime 95 to load your CPU using small FFTs test for ~ 30 mintues just to see if your in the ball park.

You should be monitoring your temps during this test. If they go above 70C I would stop the test.

Your finale test would be Prime 95 "Blend" (incudes memory) test for ~ 2 hrs. at a safe temp and stock speed on your CPU.

Adjust the CPU voltage up or down to achieve stability. The stock HSF should handle this okay, thou anything you do will probably never stress your CPU as much as Prime 95 does. :sol:

dtfwithme

Honorable
Mar 14, 2012

I set the voltage to 1.100 and the idle temp is now at 40-44c :) So far so good ha. I am going to get some sleep though, when I wake up I will do all the tests that you listed. Thank you for all your help!