Sign in with
Your question

Motherboard Decisions!

Last response: in Systems
December 29, 2011 11:17:56 PM

Hey guys, thanks for taking a look! I originally posted this in the Motherboards section, but got no response, so I deleted it and moved it here.

So I'm planning on building a gaming PC soon, and I got some fantastic help on part suggestions in the new build forum. The main decision I have left is what to do about a motherboard, so I've come back for a little more advice. Thanks for the help!

My machine will have an i5-2500k (overclocked with a Hyper 212+) and a single EVGA Superclocked GTX 570. However, I plan to throw in another 570 in a year or so. The suggestion I got for a motherboard was the ASUS P8Z68-V etc found here, however it looks like that one doesn't support multi-GPU setups. This means I need some help choosing a relatively inexpensive mobo that will support my future SLi expansion. Anyone have any suggestions? I think I want to stick to Z68, unless there's some reason not to?

I saw lots of mobos that touted having Crossfire support, but made no mention of SLi. Do those not support the Nvidia option?

Lastly, one of the few boards I saw that seems like it might fit the bill is the Gigabyte GA-Z68A-D3H-B3 found here. It only has 2-way support, but it's unlikely I'm going to want to throw 3 cards in there, right? I don't plan on doing some crazy multi-screen shenanigans, I don't think. The board is the right price and the reviews seem generally positive, but there's a definite minority of people who run in to a lot of problems with it. I'm really stretching my budget here already, so throwing down $250 on the motherboard isn't very appealing, but is that the only way to really get a gem? Thanks for the help!

More about : motherboard decisions

December 29, 2011 11:24:21 PM

$125: ASRock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3
$170: MSI Z68A-GD55 (G3)
$185: ASRock Extreme4 Gen3
$190: ASUS P8Z68-V (G3)
$190: MSI Z68A-GD65 (G3)

m
l
!