UT3 and Ageia PhysX PPU

hannibal

Distinguished
Against our initial expectations, WAR-OnyxCoast shows a performance improvement with the PhysX PPU installed, even with the light physics work being done. This is most obvious with our QX6850, where performance increases a respectable 15-20%. We ran this test several times more than the rest of our tests just to make sure this wasn’t a fluke or a product of botmatch variations and it’s not, there’s a definite performance improvement.

Looking at all of our results then, is the PhysX PPU improving performance under UT3’s stock maps? Probably. We can’t rule out other possibilities with the data we have, but our best explanation is that given a big enough map with enough players and vehicles, and enough of a computer to not be held down elsewhere, the PhysX PPU is giving us a measurable performance improvement of 10-20%. However we also have to keep in mind that with the frame rates we were already getting and the kinds of maps we believe this benefit is most pronounced on, that it’s not making a significant difference.

http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=3171&p=3

The UT3 is out and now we can see if Ageia PhysX PPU is any good... or can we.
It seems to be again that Ageia card is promising, but maybe not good enough make it "must to have" product. All, in all now we can see improvements in performance, and it's better than before UT3.
But the impact can be allso negative...

folius

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2007
UT3 is one of the first mainstream games to actually support the PPU engine. The PhysX maps showed immense improvement but thats only because they were basically a showcase to show what the card can do. Dont get me wrong, this card under the right circumstances is phenominal.... but 99.9% of the games out right now will never use it.

Hopefully, upcoming games will support it, and since intel bought the other company and will most likely start integrating that into thier GPUs... Aegia will have business from all of the ethusiast community since we dont use intel GPUs... lets only hope.

It kind of sucks that as soon as Ageia released this card both vga manufacturers started to rant about how they are going to release drivers to turn your older video card into a PPU. All this just to take away any chance of this thing going mainstream. For the most part game manufacturers said well, lets wait on Nvidia and ATI for this one.

Its true even an older video card has more balls then this thing, but they still have yet to do it...

The card worked well in the game City Of Heroes as well
http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=2828&p=2
They do not really touch on WHY ati performs so bad, but its simple. ATI drivers + game = Corruption + game lockups(but all at great frame rates for a random time until it happens...). The game auto disables the dual core ready code when an ATI cards are installed....hell it even missed it all together on other configs too. Either way adding -renderthread 1 to the game short cut will make it run dual core mode(no quad yet :()

G

Didn't nVidia and ATI also say that future GPUs will have PPUs integrated with them?

All to take the wind out of Ageia's sails....

Not saying its the best solution(its not too powerful), but they did come out with a useful idea that other companies could not stand. When the game is optimized for it. there is promise....

Slobogob

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2006
ATI and Nvidia aren't to blame for the slow start of Ageias PhysX implementation - that would be Ageias fault.
They tried to create a market for their product in a niche market that is dominated by two GPU companies and strongly depends on the good will of software developers.
The physics market could be buzzing right now, but Ageia decided to go at it slowly by setting an insane introduction price for their card. Even now, while the card drops to about 99$ it is still too expensive given the software support and the effect the card has overall.
Why should anyone in their right mind buy that card? Imagine playing UT3, the tornado level, without the card. The level stutters, running on a GF8600 and a Core2 6300. Do you invest 100$ for a physics card or maybe 250$ for a new GPU or a Quadcore that will smooth things out and benefit you in EVERY other game?

What Ageia needs to do is get a better market penetration. They should offer two or three different models of their physx cards. One dirt cheap, for little more than a computer game (50$?), then one for serious gamers that costs more like 100 and if they want it a high end over the top glorious physx monstrosity for like 200 if it pleases them. That way they can get people hooked with the cheap card and create a basis for software developers to programm titles that will employ Ageias Physx. A way better model and actually a model GPU makers have used for years.

Aside from that, there is no GPU physics. ATI and Nvidia may have shown some tech-demos, but for all i know they could've been running Ageia cards. I can't download any drivers/software to turn my video-card into a physics processor used by any game - GPU physics doesn't exist at the consumer level.

rodney_ws

Splendid
Dec 29, 2005
This is the first remotely positive thing I've seen on the this card... I read the review at Anandtech this morning and it seemed to be a pretty fair assessment. Gotta agree with Nukemaster... all of the talk from Nvidia/ATI was just that... all talk... just something to keep customers sitting on the fence. If it's not already being done, that card and UT3 simply MUST be bundled together... surely they could throw this out on the shelves for $100.

3Ball

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2006

Yea that is a pretty good idea. I would have bought a bundle for $100 or so. But UT is my favorite game so I may be bias'. I also bought the Halo 3 Legendary Edition, with 0 hesitation (never even considered the other 2 versions) for $140 (after tax), so I guess you could take my personal opinion with a grain of salt on this issue. lol

Best,

3Ball