Sign in with
Your question

What are you going to expect from amd steamroller?

Last response: in CPUs
April 7, 2012 4:52:53 PM

what will you expect from steamroller? do you think it will be a huge upgrade?

More about : expect amd steamroller

April 7, 2012 5:23:49 PM

No, However, I Do Beleive It Will At-Least Equal Lower End i7 IB Chips For A Much Lower Price On Proven Sockets AM3+/FM1, They Will Also OC EVern Better And Run A Bit Cooler.
m
l
a c 83 à CPUs
a b À AMD
April 7, 2012 5:39:43 PM

hella-d said:
No, However, I Do Beleive It Will At-Least Equal Lower End i7 IB Chips For A Much Lower Price On Proven Sockets AM3+/FM1, They Will Also OC EVern Better And Run A Bit Cooler.

FM1 is being replaced by FM2 later this year, AM3+ may or may not still be around in 2013.

I really don't expect Steamroller to be much, AMD is going with a strategy of 10-15% improvement in performance/watt every year on their roadmap, and with absurdly high power draw compared to Intel they need to lower power draw just as badly as improve performance. I'll honestly be surprised if it can match Sandy Bridge out side of highly threaded workloads.
m
l
Related resources
a c 80 à CPUs
a b À AMD
April 7, 2012 5:42:19 PM

amdcpus said:

the way amd is moving with apus in front, most of the improvements might take place in the mobile sector of amd's lineup. as for desktop cpus, not much.
i expect -
power efficiency to rival intel's then-available lineup.
ddr4 support on at least the server sr cpus.
radeon hd 6790/6850 level performance on sr apus.
good coordination with hsa gpus.
fully baked pcie 3.0 support in chipsets, at least 24 pcie 3.0 lanes in sr apus' pcie controller.
quad channel support.
thunderbolt/lightning bolt full support in sr motherboard chipsets.
successfully undercut intel's lineup in terms of price-performance unlike bd vs sb.
module approach fully worked out. outperform intel's ht.
m
l
a c 185 à CPUs
a b À AMD
April 7, 2012 7:02:47 PM

5-15% more performance over current bulldozer chips putting it up against 1st generation intel core series cpu's. Kind of bad when intel is releasing their 3rd generation intel core processors :heink: 
m
l
a c 472 à CPUs
a c 119 À AMD
April 7, 2012 8:17:38 PM

So far the Steamroller core is only going to be released in AMD's successor to Trinity called Kaveri and are expected to be released at the end of 2013. Since AMD has so far not shed any information for 2014 or beyond, there will likely be no socket AM3+ version.

Piledriver will basically bring AMD CPUs up to speed with Intel's 1st generation of Core i3/i5/i7 CPUs (Nehalem, Lynnfield). Intel's 2nd generation Core i3/i5/i7 (Sandy Bridge) are about on average 12% faster than the 1st generation CPUs. I believe this is where Steamroller's performance will be.

Ivy Bridge is likely going to have a relatively small increase in performance over Sandy Bridge; probably around 6% - 8%. While it's possible that Steamroller can equal the performance of Ivy Bridge, it is unlikely since that means Steamroller will have to be around 18% - 20% faster than Bulldozer (Trinity).

By the time Steamroller is out Intel would have released Haswell in 2013. It's unknown what Haswell's performance will be, but people believe it will generally be somewhere between 10% - 25% faster than Ivy Bridge. It's all speculation now, but whatever Haswell's performance will be AMD will still be playing catch up.
m
l
a b à CPUs
May 21, 2012 9:23:42 PM

Are you're sayings based on the overall performance?
m
l
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
June 13, 2012 1:12:29 AM

from bulldozer- steamroller, i'll say, performance increase by 20-30%
m
l
a c 141 à CPUs
a b À AMD
June 13, 2012 2:13:07 AM

is everyone forgetting AMD dropped out of playing the performance game? They will not put out anything even close to the power of an i7...
I dont expect anything from steam roller beyond the a nominal 5-10% improvement over what we already have and we'll be lucky if they dont drop the am3+ socket altogether.
m
l
a b à CPUs
June 13, 2012 2:42:49 AM

Yes, that's what I have in mind too, they must terminate that socket totally.
m
l
July 3, 2012 8:21:36 AM

20-30% + for apu
Am3 is going the way of the dodo bird
m
l
July 21, 2012 11:26:59 PM

amdcpus said:

amdcpus said:

According to news and articles and I came across, it will not happen but I need a AMD Workstation processor and optimized for Autodesk media/entertainment products and Adobe media line, a proc that goes quad channel, hyperthread well and can be bought for uniproc as well as 2 or 4p, a proc that goes above 3.2 ghz and proc that utilize 135 watts or less and a proc fully utilizing PCIe 2.0 and 3.0; therefore AMD has too much work on the table to achieve and it does not in their book/goal anyway.

In the end steamroller result is an AMD with greater module parralelllism specifically dedicated for big enterprises server use and that will be all so I can start wadding hopeful thoughts for steamroller and perhaps think with its next big brother in 2014.
m
l
!