PC not starting up. No BIOS, just black screen.

joeman99

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2011
Hello Tom's Hardware,

I have a Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-DS4H with AMD Phenom™ 9650 Quad-Core Processor.
Also Corsair 2 × 2GB RAM and ATI Radeon HD 3300 Graphics which came with the motherboard.

I started the PC and surfed the web for 15 mins.
Then started playing Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 and played for about 30 seconds when the Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 sound just disappeared during which my screen went completely black.
No keys or anything was working.

So I turned it of using the power switch in which the plug was plugged in.

I start it and now it just won't start.

There's just black screen when I start it.
Not even does the BIOS show up.
But the fans are spinning.
If I keep it on just like that for a while then after sometime it shuts off automatically and the fans stop spinning.

I tried cleaning up the inside of the PC, opened the SMPS and cleaned it up, reinserted the RAM and even tried another SMPS but all in vain.
Still having the same issue.

When I remove RAM and start, there are beeping sounds but when the RAM is in, no beeping sounds.

Someone please help.

chesteracorgi

Distinguished
First: detach and reseat all power cables. One may not be making a good connection. If that doesn't work you have to breadbooard the rig: take out all but the absolutely essential components (go to 1 stick of RAM, CPU and iGPU) and see if it posts. You may have to switch out (and in) parts to see which is bad. It still may be the mobo, but you have to eliminate other possible sources.

MC_K7

Distinguished
smorizio: He said he already tried with another PSU.

joeman99: Did you try to remove your GPU and use the integrated graphics? Just to see if you're able to boot and display something on the screen.

You could also remove other unnecessary components and keep it to a minimum and try to boot?

joeman99

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2011
The GPU cannot be removed guys.
It on-board.

I also reattached all wires and all parts.
The only thing I didn't separate from the cabinet was the motherboard.

And I even tried 1 RAM chip at a time.
Both gave same error.
Black screen and no BIOS.

Try an add in Video card with single stick of RAM. If nothing still, try the other RAM module. If still nothing then you either have a mainboard/iGPU issue or a power supply issue is my best advice.

Check with your mainboard's manual to see if a jumper exists to reset your CMOS/BIOS to defaults and try the above again. Check for loose heatsinks on the Northbridge/southbridge chipsets. Also check to make sure none of your regulator capacitors have blown their tops and/or are leaking electrolytic fluid.

Have patience..... these types of issues are not the easiest to solve, especially if parts aren't abundant.

joeman99

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2011

Nope.
It's powerful enough.
I have been playing Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 at 60 FPS on it for over an year.

And is 30 seconds of it really enough to blow up my on-board chip?

How come both my RAM chips blew up at once?
I even tried a working PSU from another PC.

Unfortunately I don't have a add-in video card or a PSU power enough to supply it.

No jumper to reset my BIOS either.
And no loose heatsinks and none of the regular capacitors are leaking either.

megahurtz

Honorable
Jan 10, 2013

Hi mate
have you removed your battery for about 5 second's to reset your bios this is what i would trie first give it a shot and see how you go.

joeman99

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2011

Windows is not booting up mate.
All I see is a black screen 24×7.
So I cannot update BIOS.

Hi....
I found the jumper but how exactly do I reset?
Do I remove battery and then touch the jumper with a screwdriver or do I keep battery in and then turn off power supply and then touch the jumper with a screwdriver?
And for how many seconds do I touch it with a screwdriver?

Please let me know. :)

megahurtz

Honorable
Jan 10, 2013

Hi again you can do it one of two way's you can remove the battery for like 5 sec's then put it back in that will do it or leave the battery in and just short the reset jumpers with a screw driver and while it's being shorted with the screwdriver press the power button that will reset the bios then turn it on the normal way with out the screw driver obviosly but i alway's take the battery out it's just easier that way and it alway's does the job good luck hope that help's. :)

joeman99

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2011

Hi again.

Okay this might some interestingly weird read.

So I reassembled the PC.
I removed every freaking part and even removed the Motherboard from the cabinet.
I cleaned it again (too much dust below the above part of the Silent-Pipe).

Like you said, reset the BIOS by removing the battery, but my battery was removed since the last 23 hours so it probably had been reset.

Yet, to confirm, I put the battery back in, touched the jumper with a screwdriver and started the PC.
Once again there was a black screen.

Then I proceeded to remove the screwdriver from the jumper and it hit the back fan which does spin really fast.
My firm on the screwdriver was not tight enough and after hitting the fan it flew from my hands and hit hard on the motherboard somewhere near the RAM chips.

Suddenly my screen gave some output after a long time.
It was a black screen with a old typing cursor like a small blinking underscore, "_", on the top left side and was stuck there forever.

And I was like,
"What the hell just happened?".

fa7cpl.jpg

35cpeme.jpg

And I just noticed that when the power is plugged in and the PC is off the CPU fan is spinning a very little and it keeps moving back and forth and the Power LED is blinking very very slightly.
But this happened only once.

After that I restarted; the power LED blinking and fan slightly spinning issues were gone but the main problem still persists.

megahurtz

Honorable
Jan 10, 2013

by the sound's of that your ram may be a issue with your ram sockets i'd take it out the ram i mean and try another stick in a different socket just to be sure you removed the battery for 5 second's and you all so had it unpluged at that time because removing the battery while it's pluged in will NOT reset the bios.

joeman99

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2011

Don't worry, the power for removed for 23 hours too when the battery was removed.

I don't know that is going on exactly but when I reseted the BIOS when the PC was receiving power (as in the screwdriver was touching the jumper and I pressed the power ON button) the PC started and got stuck on the BIOS screen.

Also, I am getting these extremely short beeps after every three seconds.