Sign in with
Your question

Is this PSU Suitable

Last response: in Components
April 7, 2012 5:53:15 PM

Hi all,

I've currently got a budget pc (though I do overclock) but my PSU is packing up, not surprising as it was only a £40 cheapo brand.
I'm 99% sure its definitely the PSU going out as it comes up with power surge messages most boots, and I swapped it for a mates Corsair HX1050W and everything else seemed to work fine.

I'm obviously going to need a new PSU pretty sharpish but here lies the question.

I'm looking to upgrade most of the components to a high end PC (looking at a 2700k and a gtx680 or SLI 580s) in the not too distant future.

I don't see the point of getting a cheap PSU now and then buying a better one when I upgrade, so I want to get one that will be suitable for the upgrades but not overkill now.

I'm thinking about the corsair HX850. I want to know if it will be powerful enough to handle the upgraded pc for a start? but also if are there any other suggestions you more experienced builders have?
Also is it worth forking out for the AX850 over the HX850? are the benefits really that good?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, I'm still pretty new to all this. Thanks in advance!

More about : psu suitable

April 7, 2012 6:13:06 PM

Peds013 said:
Hi all,

I've currently got a budget pc (though I do overclock) but my PSU is packing up, not surprising as it was only a £40 cheapo brand.
I'm 99% sure its definitely the PSU going out as it comes up with power surge messages most boots, and I swapped it for a mates Corsair HX1050W and everything else seemed to work fine.

I'm obviously going to need a new PSU pretty sharpish but here lies the question.

I'm looking to upgrade most of the components to a high end PC (looking at a 2700k and a gtx680 or SLI 580s) in the not too distant future.

I don't see the point of getting a cheap PSU now and then buying a better one when I upgrade, so I want to get one that will be suitable for the upgrades but not overkill now.

I'm thinking about the corsair HX850. I want to know if it will be powerful enough to handle the upgraded pc for a start? but also if are there any other suggestions you more experienced builders have?
Also is it worth forking out for the AX850 over the HX850? are the benefits really that good?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, I'm still pretty new to all this. Thanks in advance!

The AX850 is fully modular, where the HX850 is only partially modular. The AX850 has the the newer ATX standards, has two less PCI-e connectors, but everything else is equal. Even with modular power supplies, I still have unused cables I can't use, that I'm trying to hide. Personally, I would spend the ext $10 and get the AX850
April 7, 2012 6:17:52 PM

Thanks for the info!

do you think 850W will be enough even for the upgrade?
Also I forgot to mention I've got a water cooling loop (I don't know how much power it will drain)
Related resources
a c 259 ) Power supply
a c 105 K Overclocking
April 7, 2012 6:23:38 PM

Either Corsair 850w unit is fine for 2 x GTX 580s. A single GTX 680 would need much less of course.

As long as you stick with Corsair, Seasonic, PC Power and Cooling, XFX, Silverstone, Enermax, OCZ and Antec you should be fine.
a b ) Power supply
a b K Overclocking
April 7, 2012 6:24:56 PM

The 850W PSU you have picked out is good and should work fine. I don't believe it is worth it to get either the AX or HX if you only plan on ever running two cards in SLI I would stick with the modular version of the TX850. Main difference is the others have a higher 80+ rating so you save a bit on power and are more modular.

Some other options are
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Corsair-CMPSU-850HX-Professiona...
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Corsair-CMPSU-850AXUK-Professio...
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Netzteil-900W-LEPA-G900-MA-12cm...
http://www.amazon.co.uk/OCZ-Series-Rated-Double-Bearing...
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Seasonic-Modular-Multi-GPU-Tech...
http://www.amazon.co.uk/CORSAIR-Enthusiast-Series-Modul...
All of which are good PSU

a c 158 ) Power supply
April 7, 2012 6:25:03 PM

The recommendation is significantly different between a GTX 680 and SLI GTX 580s. Which setup is the most likely? Any OC for the CPU/GPU? Either the AX850 or the HX850 will power the most power hungry rig you are proposing (SLI GTX 580s). On the other hand, either of those PSUs is WAY overkill for a system with a single GTX 680.

CPU comment: Anything over a 2500K will not provide meaningful improvements in gaming...do you have need for the 2700K outside of gaming?

April 7, 2012 8:34:53 PM

Thanks alot for all the suggestions and help so far guys!

Yeah I'll be using the PC to do some pretty hardcore scientific modelling (abit of a n00b to pc building but I'm secretly a massive nerd), tbh, gaming is the secondary use for the rig.

So I'll be overclocking to 4.2 ish, but most likely not overclocking the GPU
April 7, 2012 9:26:17 PM

Thanks for all the help guys, I really appreciate it.

Due to availability, I'm going with the OCZ ZX Series 850W.
Now just need to wait for the cash to upgrade the rest of my PC!
April 7, 2012 11:36:07 PM

On reading more into the OCZ ZX Series 850W, Alot of the reviews state the fact it doesn't have a MOV. They mention this fact repeatedly? I understand what it does, but just how important is it?
a c 259 ) Power supply
a c 105 K Overclocking
April 7, 2012 11:39:16 PM

I would not worry about it. The ZX series gets great reviews. It is comparable to the Seasonic X series and that is high praise.
April 7, 2012 11:42:48 PM

Thanks alot!
a c 259 ) Power supply
a c 105 K Overclocking
April 7, 2012 11:47:53 PM

^ Reported as spam. The mods will delete it.
a c 259 ) Power supply
a c 105 K Overclocking
April 7, 2012 11:48:38 PM

Peds013 said:
Thanks alot!

Glad to help.
a b ) Power supply
a b K Overclocking
April 8, 2012 12:36:25 AM

MOV Metal Oxide Varistor - (I did not google that) is used in voltage spike suppression.
Will basically provide a low resistance path to ground for lightning hits.
-Bruce
!