Sign in with
Your question

Connecting 2 LAN or network to 1 pc server

Last response: in Networking
January 25, 2011 7:21:05 AM

Hello,

i have 2 network, each has its own internet connection. it is on my netcafe, 1st is for browsing and 2nd for online gaming. How do i connect them 2 my pc billing server.

thnks
January 25, 2011 11:38:35 AM

deenden said:
Hello,

i have 2 network, each has its own internet connection. it is on my netcafe, 1st is for browsing and 2nd for online gaming. How do i connect them 2 my pc billing server.

thnks

IF your two networks are completely independent, in hardware, configuration, subnets, etc. Then you have to do some work and make some decisions on how you want to do this. As I see it, an ideal solution would be to use two network connections to your server. One from each LAN. You'll have to make sure that the IP address and subnet for each NIC on the server is setup for the correct LAN, and you won't be able to use the same IP addresses for each network. The computers can connect to the server either by IP address, or a forward from your router (if it supports this).

Using the server as a default gateway won't work if the server isn't setup for it, and it increases the lag and congestion of both networks through a common link. Additionally it creates a single point of failure. If the server goes down for any reason, both networks stop instantly until the server comes back up.

Questions?
m
l
January 27, 2011 10:20:03 PM

thank you so much, exactly what i needed. I,m avoiding network Load Balancing, for the sake of more stability.

No more question, thnks
m
l
Related resources
January 28, 2011 9:31:20 PM

Quote:
Now lets ask ourselves whats the purpose of the biling server?

Probably more for time management rather than bytes used. You don't know what kind of captive portal or other access system he has setup on his routers. I'd have things setup similarly...
m
l
January 29, 2011 12:53:09 AM

Current connections through the captave portal keep working, and my customers go on surfing until their time is up - blissfully unaware of the hiccup in my server. Any new customers will have to wait for the re-boot.

If the server were the gateway / proxy, everything would come to a grinding halt.
m
l
!