Sign in with
Your question

How well will it work? (my first rig)

Last response: in Systems
December 30, 2011 1:23:29 AM

I just* ordered all of the parts for my new rig! (my first one)

The Parts:

ASrock AM3 AMD 770 ATX Mobo
AMD Phenom ii x6 @ 2.8ghz
PNY Optima 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3
A 500gb 7200rpm HDD
Zotac AMP! Gtx550 Ti
Thermaltake TR2 430W ATX12V V2.2 PSU
LITEON SATA DVD-ROM
NZTX Gaurdian case

My questions:

Will it work once assembled?
How well (what res, fps, settings) will I be able to play games like TF2 (My main game) l4d2 ect... at?
How well will I be able to play newer games (BF3, Skyrim) ect...?
Do I need a dvd-rom or a cd-rom to install W7?
I think I will need a new PSU, do I? Also is there any parts that are the same price that are better that I should replace any of my current ones with?

Thanks in advance!
Boss-

More about : work rig

December 30, 2011 1:37:12 AM

Well you should have asked the community first before you bought those components. I would've went with the 2500K or the 2400 with a Maximus Gene-Z or the ASRock Extreme3. It will work once put together (if you do it right). TF2 is more of a CPU based game rather than GPU based so you will get good performance in TF2 and L4D2- also mostly CPU based. BF3 and Skyrim is where you would fall behind in on max settings. But lowering the details and settings should give you fairly good performance.
Yes you WILL need to get a CD/DVD drive to install Windows 7 once your system boots up. For the PSU, look at how much power will be drawn and get any Seasonic, XFX, Corsair PSU (or any other quality brand PSU) with a 80+ Bronze, Silver, Gold (Platinum??) stamp.
m
l
December 30, 2011 1:48:32 AM

Quote:
Well you should have asked the community first before you bought those components. I would've went with the 2500K or the 2400 with a Maximus Gene-Z or the ASRock Extreme3. It will work once put together (if you do it right). TF2 is more of a CPU based game rather than GPU based so you will get good performance in TF2 and L4D2- also mostly CPU based. BF3 and Skyrim is where you would fall behind in on max settings. But lowering the details and settings should give you fairly good performance.
Yes you WILL need to get a CD/DVD drive to install Windows 7 once your system boots up. For the PSU, look at how much power will be drawn and get any Seasonic, XFX, Corsair PSU (or any other quality brand PSU) with a 80+ Bronze, Silver, Gold (Platinum??) stamp.

:D 

Thats exactly what I was thinking I would be seeing.

Well it seems as If I didn't get too much wrong as I wasn't exactly looking to max out skyrim/bf3... but so long as they are playable (constant 30+ fps) I'm happy. Now that I see all I need to replace is my PSU and dvd drive I'm totally fine with that, considering my case and CPU wont be getting here for a week or so because I ordered them from amazon (all of my other part will come from newegg and will be here tomorrow)
Also do you know roughly what kind of wattage in a PSU I should look for? ( I did a wattage calc on newegg the day after and saw I was 6 watts over my PSU rating) will 500 watts be ok?
m
l
Related resources
December 30, 2011 1:52:26 AM

The PSU will suffice for that build.
m
l
December 30, 2011 1:59:20 AM

WOAH! Don't overkill the PSU and like the guy above me said, the current PSU will be fine. The most important thing in a build is to get a suffice PSU (imo). Don't push it to the max but don't get so much headroom. 430w is fine for that build.
m
l
December 30, 2011 2:02:42 AM

fb39ca4 said:
The PSU will suffice for that build.

:D  I think I will go higher on regardless (just for some headroom).

Should I test it, if it works keep it or just send it away as soon as I get it?

Also, If I ordered the wrong part can I ship it back to newegg for a full refund?

The reason I think I will need more wattage is because my GPU is overclocked...
m
l
December 30, 2011 2:12:18 AM

500w is still a little high for a GPU and CPU OC. However, I guess it's future proof and it's really your preference. I think you should just keep the 430w PSU because it will still be enough for a GPU and CPU OC. But if you really want a 500w PSU, go ahead, it's not a huge overkill and it will probably run fine (if it's a quality PSU).
For Newegg's return policy, read this: http://www.newegg.com/HelpInfo/ReturnPolicy.aspx
m
l
December 30, 2011 2:26:33 AM

I learned not too long ago that you should stay away from Thermaltake PSU's. You should shoot for better brand names such as;

Antec
Corsair
Silverstone
XFX
OCZ
Seasonic
m
l
!