Broken usb 3.0 port

Tags:
  • Homebuilt
  • Corsair
  • Devices
  • Systems
Last response: in Systems
December 30, 2011 1:47:38 AM

Hello all, I very recently built my first pc. Everything worked perfectly fine until I found a broken usb port.
system specs:
i7-2600k
xigmatek gaia heatsink cooler
msi gd65 z68 (g3)
16gb corsair vengeance
msi gtx580 lightning extreme
Corsair 500r case
corsair hx750 pro
corsair ssd
bd writer

All usb ports on my motherboard work fine. The 500r has two front panel usb 3.0 ports. Only one of these is currently working. When I plug my 3.0 device(external hdd) into the broken port the computer reads it properly. However I get random connects/disconnects that happen repeatedly until i finally eject the device. The device works perfectly in the other 500r usb port. It also works perfectly on the motherboard ports. I thought perhaps my front panel had a faulty connection to the motherboard 3.0 header but after reseating the header cable it still does not work. Has anyone encountered a problem like this? The connect/disconnect is specific to this single port when using a 3.0 device. All others work. I have also tried fooling with the windows7 power savings for that port/device but that did not work either.

thanks for any help,

More about : broken usb port

a c 113 B Homebuilt system
December 30, 2011 2:03:17 AM

Clearly you should contact Corsair. The part is probably replaceable.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
December 30, 2011 2:05:41 AM

+1
You paid good money ,you want a good product.
They'll probably just send the part out, you shouldn't need to return the case
Moto
m
l
Related resources
January 9, 2012 11:02:38 PM

Update: Corsair sent out the new parts no problem. This was an excellent customer service experience and I would not hesitate to buy a Corsair product in the future. I replaced the front panel, cables and all and I still have the same issue. Are there any ideas for a fix? I've upgraded my drivers and everything. Could one of the pins in the 3.0 header be bad? I've ignored this as an option mostly because the one port works perfectly. I figured if there was something wrong with the header then wouldn't both of the ports running off of the header be malfunctioning?
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
January 9, 2012 11:42:51 PM

Great news from corsair there, glad they were on the ball for you :-)

Do the front panel usb 3's plug into a 20pin header on the mobo?
There maybe an issue with a header pin as you suspect
Sucks that you may have to return that.....
Moto
m
l
January 10, 2012 1:18:10 AM

Yes that's correct. The two 3.0 ports on my front panel converge into the 20 pin header on my motherboard. One port works fine. Could it be a problem with the header if one of the ports using it is working?
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
January 10, 2012 2:35:50 AM

I'm not familiar with the pinout of those header by memory and can't get to a proper pc till the morning, but you've replaced the usb panel and the problem persists, I think that it is the header, especially as one port works,
I'll find a pinout for you if I can though and post a link,
Moto
m
l
January 20, 2012 4:05:31 PM

Update 2: After rma'ing my motherboard, I am now seeing the problem in BOTH front usb 3.0 ports. Both USB ports being powered by my 3.0 header are malfunctioning. I'm at a loss here. Any ideas? Should I be looking for a different motherboard?
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
January 20, 2012 4:51:45 PM

I would try a different board, Rma'ing again is just frustrating for you and probably pointless
Sorry I'm not able to offer any better help,
Moto
m
l
January 20, 2012 5:55:14 PM

I know that Asus ditched the company supplying their original USB 3.0 controller for another.

Make sure you have all the USB drivers installed that you are supposed to have, and check the BIOS updates to see if USB is mentioned anywhere.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
January 20, 2012 6:18:01 PM

Original problem was that one of two was defective Proxi, the replacement board may need updating as you have mentioned though, nice catch :) 
Moto
m
l
January 20, 2012 6:49:46 PM

I have seen several new builds that LOOKED like the USB was fully installed, when in fact it was not. The usual giveaway is a lack of USB devices in device manager... and normally there is no other clue, no warning from Windows.

For instance in my device manager under USB Controllers I have 14 items, the correct amount for this board. At one point I had about 8, and while the USB 3.0 ports were working they were not working right.

That's why I usually recommend running the full driver install from the motherboard CD now. It's when you don't do that and rely on Win 7 to cover you that you get that problem, because Win 7 doesn't actually detect all the new hardware.

Now that we are talking about it I need to go check mine again :) 
m
l
January 23, 2012 8:39:52 PM

I installed all my drivers using MSI's live update 5 software. I then installed the latest renesas drivers from Intel's website. Here is what my device manager looks like: link Does this look right? I only have 13 items listed under USB controllers.
m
l
January 23, 2012 9:35:03 PM

One thing I have noticed is that my 3.0 hdd shows up in the device manager as USB mass storage Device. Right clicking this and going to properties shows just the default windows driver from 2006 version 6.1.7601.17577. Though this might not mean anything. This happens no matter which 3.0 port it is plugged into. Even when it is in one of the ports that works. ..While right clicking my Renesas 3.0 root hubs and host controllers in the device manager and looking in properties shows the newest driver that I downloaded from intel, Renesas 2.1.28.0 .
m
l
January 24, 2012 3:59:30 AM

I'm also wondering if the JUSB4 header does not provide as much power to the front ports as the rear ports get? I can't really find anything about this. Could this be why my external is connecting/disconnecting in the front ports and not the rear? And to build on that, if this is the case, I'm guessing I would have the same problem with other motherboard brands that use the 20 pin header to power the front ports?
m
l
January 24, 2012 5:38:05 AM

kKately said:
I installed all my drivers using MSI's live update 5 software. I then installed the latest renesas drivers from Intel's website. Here is what my device manager looks like: link Does this look right? I only have 13 items listed under USB controllers.

That seems right.

kKately said:
One thing I have noticed is that my 3.0 hdd shows up in the device manager as USB mass storage Device. Right clicking this and going to properties shows just the default windows driver from 2006 version 6.1.7601.17577. Though this might not mean anything. This happens no matter which 3.0 port it is plugged into. Even when it is in one of the ports that works. ..While right clicking my Renesas 3.0 root hubs and host controllers in the device manager and looking in properties shows the newest driver that I downloaded from intel, Renesas 2.1.28.0 .

Are you getting proper speeds from it? HDtune or ATTA will help measure that.

kKately said:
I'm also wondering if the JUSB4 header does not provide as much power to the front ports as the rear ports get? I can't really find anything about this. Could this be why my external is connecting/disconnecting in the front ports and not the rear? And to build on that, if this is the case, I'm guessing I would have the same problem with other motherboard brands that use the 20 pin header to power the front ports?

I would not expect a difference.

Have you updated to the latest BIOS? I see that 23.4 did something with the USB module
http://www.msi.com/product/mb/Z68A-GD65--G3-.html#/?div...
m
l
!