Solved

Which GPU should I go with?

I have been thinking about getting dual msi lightning 6970's, but ive read that nvidias drivers are better... So should I go with the msi lightnings, or gtx 580's? Is it worth the extra 120 bucks a card?

My build:
i7 2700k @ 4.2
16gb 1600
Asus Sabertooth p67
1200 watt thermaltake
120gb ssd
750gb 7200rpm
9 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about which with
  1. What's your resolution?
  2. sam_fisher said:
    What's your resolution?



    Sorry about that, 1920x1080
  3. I'd say the 6970's would be enough. You're looking at spending another $240 for not that much FPS from what I can see after looking at a few reviews.

    If I was in your position I'd get the 6970's. Wait and see if anyone else has anything to say though.
  4. sam_fisher said:
    I'd say the 6970's would be enough. You're looking at spending another $240 for not that much FPS from what I can see after looking at a few reviews.

    If I was in your position I'd get the 6970's. Wait and see if anyone else has anything to say though.



    Plus lower heat and power consumption, on top of 240 bucks in my pocket. The msi's im looking at have a clock speed of 940MHz so now that I'm thinking about it, i think ill just go with the 6970's...
  5. bubbabvi said:
    Plus lower heat and power consumption, on top of 240 bucks in my pocket. The msi's im looking at have a clock speed of 940MHz so now that I'm thinking about it, i think ill just go with the 6970's...

    A single HD6970 will max out any game at that resolution with decent FPS, let alone 2. If you don't want to record gameplay, you're good with a single one of either those cards.
  6. I think from what I read on other forums is that the HD6970s will perform better in multi monitor setups, so it'd be good to have them if you ever go down the Eyefinity path.
  7. Best answer
    The 6970 MSI Lightnings are good cards, maybe also consider the 2GB 6950 Sappire Toxic which can be flashed to unlock the 6970 shaders. Are 580's worth it? If your ever talking value, then they are about the worst bang for your buck cards around, your other consideration here should be 570's SLI if you want to go down the Nvidia path.

    In terms of the drivers, AMD have made up allot of ground over the last generation of cards particularly in their scaling performance. You shouldn't let this be a determining factor in your decision, Nvidia has the edge, but its only slightly and that is changing constantly. For BF3, however... AMD missed the boat there but have redeemed themselves somewhat.
  8. Ninja Pants said:
    The 6970 MSI Lightnings are good cards, maybe also consider the 2GB 6950 Sappire Toxic which can be flashed to unlock the 6970 shaders. Are 580's worth it? If your ever talking value, then they are about the worst bang for your buck cards around, your other consideration here should be 570's SLI if you want to go down the Nvidia path.

    In terms of the drivers, AMD have made up allot of ground over the last generation of cards particularly in their scaling performance. You shouldn't let this be a determining factor in your decision, Nvidia has the edge, but its only slightly and that is changing constantly. For BF3, however... AMD missed the boat there but have redeemed themselves somewhat.



    Yeah, I think ill stick with those msi's, from what ive read they are great... Thanks for clearing up the DRIVER question, which even though i didnt specify, was my main concern...
  9. Best answer selected by bubbabvi.
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Graphics MSI-Microstar