Solved

Need help building a desktop.

Hello, i want to buy my younger brother a desktop so i thought i would build one and im trying to get on for just under $500. I was hoping some people cna give me a good build with good ram and hdd and proccessor. Thanks in advance.

Just to let you know, i live in Canada so i need it to be from canadian sites. but the bad thing is there a bit more expensive so it's a lil harder. :/
14 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about need building desktop
  1. I'll try to start building you one! Do you have a preference on Intel vs. AMD? And what will it be used for?
  2. And what parts do you need? If you could fill out this template it would be much easier :)
  3. i need it for gaming. i dont prefer any but i would like something like 3.0 ghz +, theres the 2x4gb ram for like 39.99 which is good i would liek that too.

    dont need mouse and keyboard or screen.

    must be canadian sites so , newegg.ca, or tigerdirect.ca might help you out. :/

    Canada.

    for the case i want a side to have see through and looking nice , if you cant decide this ill do it.

    not sure what over clocking is or sli/crossfire is , i would like to know :D.

    and if you have msn and dont mind helping me out there, that would be nice :)
  4. killermoe33 said:
    i need it for gaming. i dont prefer any but i would like something like 3.0 ghz +, theres the 2x4gb ram for like 39.99 which is good i would liek that too.

    dont need mouse and keyboard or screen.

    must be canadian sites so , newegg.ca, or tigerdirect.ca might help you out. :/

    Canada.

    for the case i want a side to have see through and looking nice , if you cant decide this ill do it.

    not sure what over clocking is or sli/crossfire is , i would like to know :D.
    I'll try to suit it to your needs! Overclocking is making a component (CPU, RAM, GPU, etc.) faster than what it was originally manufactured (e.g., overclock a 3.4Ghz processor to 4.0Ghz). You can usually overclock all processors, but to do anything significant, you'd need an unlocked processor. SLI/Crossfire is basically linking multiple videos cards to form one essentially. It's used for increased power for graphics. It can get pretty expensive though :/
  5. wow didn't finish that, sorry.

    Western Digital 1 TB Caviar Green SATA II 64 MB Cache Bulk/OEM Desktop Hard Drive WD10EARS $107

    http://www.amazon.com/Western-Digital-Caviar-Desktop-WD10EARS/dp/B002U1N95K/ref=sr_1_4?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1325223995&sr=1-4

    i think this might be 150 $$ over your budget but trust me, it's worth it. also, i know this isnt a canadian site but it was just for reference. also also, i think it is extremely difficult to built a decent gaming rig for under 700$. maybe change that CPU for an i3-2100.

    Antec One Hundred Computer Case
    http://www.amazon.com/Antec-One-Hundred-Computer-Case/dp/B004AGXHKK/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1325224051&sr=1-1
    $55.
  6. actually, take out that antec case since i hadn't seen your previous post. change the CPU to an i3-2100 and the hard drive to 500 GB. you prolly won't need more room than that and that should get you closer to 500$
  7. This is the best I could do:

    Processor + PSU Combo: http://www.newegg.ca/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.786872
    - Quad-core CPU at 3.0GHz. Awesome performance for price! Power supply is 500w. Should be plenty and its 80+ certified!

    Motherboard: http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131651
    - ASUS makes great boards. This one should have all the features you need :D

    Case: http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811156223
    - Lowest price with good ratings and side window. Basically all I can say...

    RAM: http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820104155
    - If you want to squeeze out $10 more for 8GB, then go ahead! 4GB is really all you need though...

    HDD: http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136921
    - Very good drive. Not going to find a better deal at the moment because of floods. Only downside is it's recertified...

    Optical Drive: http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827118039
    - Don't need anything more :)

    GPU: http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814161383
    - Very good card. Should be more than sufficient for gaming.

    Total*: $515.12 (with O/S: $625.91)

    Total w/shipping*: $575.96 (with O/S: $685.95)

    *Includes rebates

    I know this is over your budget, but since you live in Canada, shipping and prices are extremely high! This is the best I could do, while trying to fit all of your needs. What you could do is get an AMD A6-3650 or an AMD A6-3670K with this board: http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131769
    The 3670K is unlocked so you could bring it up to 3.0GHz. Keep everything else the same except get rid of the video card. That'd put you at $425.93 ($479.98 with shipping). Add another $116.98 if you need an O/S. You could then add one a video card later since those processors have decent integrated graphics. Hope this helped :D
  8. thanks a lot both of you! i will go over my budget it all good, i was trying to get 2 good ones i gues sill just get one. and ima look through both of yours and find my best choice and reply back with what i think is best and i hope you guys can verify for me , thanks again!
  9. killermoe33 said:
    thanks a lot both of you! i will go over my budget it all good, i was trying to get 2 good ones i gues sill just get one. and ima look through both of yours and find my best choice and reply back with what i think is best and i hope you guys can verify for me , thanks again!
    Just to let you know, his prices and parts are from amazon.COM not .ca, so his prices are going to be different for Canada.
  10. yes i noticed that and i can probably get my cuzins to get me the stuff from newegg.com from the states! so if you would like to tell me some stuff to replace or i could just search for the same stuff but in the states. thanks again :)
  11. Best answer
    killermoe33 said:
    yes i noticed that and i can probably get my cuzins to get me the stuff from newegg.com from the states! so if you would like to tell me some stuff to replace or i could just search for the same stuff but in the states. thanks again :)
    in that case let me re-do your build! I just need to finish setting up mine :)
  12. lol, ok thanks! :p
  13. Best answer selected by killermoe33.
Ask a new question

Read More

Build Desktops Systems Product