Sign in with
Your question

Which graphic card should I buy for Skyrim at 1280 x 1024?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
November 1, 2011 1:00:40 PM

Hello,
I have a question. I am looking for a new graphics card for Skyrim. I currently have Sapphire Radeon 4890 but I want to replace it, to play game at ultra settings with beauty mods smoothly. At resoultion 1280 x 1024 of course.

My system is:
i7 920 @ 2600 mhz
6 gb ram at 1866 mhz
Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD4P
Sapphire radeon 4890
LC Power LC8850 "Arkangel" v2.2 850 W

Would Sapphire Radeon 6870 1gb for 160 € be enough or I would have to get Sapphire Radeon 6950 Game Edition 2gb for 260€?

I am pretty much used to Radeon graphic cards, but you can also suggest some other graphic card in that price range.

Thanks for further help!
a b U Graphics card
November 1, 2011 1:06:50 PM

You might be able to play maxed out with the card you already have, unless you need a DX11 card to unlock some graphic options. If you don't plan on a monitor upgrade, a gtx560 or a 6850 will be plenty. If you plan on going 1080p anytime soon, go for a 6950/560ti or better.
a b U Graphics card
November 1, 2011 1:07:08 PM

Blarzor said:
Hello,
I have a question. I am looking for a new graphics card for Skyrim. I currently have Sapphire Radeon 4890 but I want to replace it, to play game at ultra settings with beauty mods smoothly. At resoultion 1280 x 1024 of course.

My system is:
i7 920 @ 2600 mhz
6 gb ram at 1866 mhz
Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD4P
Sapphire radeon 4890
LC Power LC8850 "Arkangel" v2.2 850 W

Would Sapphire Radeon 6870 1gb for 160 € be enough or I would have to get Sapphire Radeon 6950 Game Edition 2gb for 260€?

I am pretty much used to Radeon graphic cards, but you can also suggest some other graphic card in that price range.

Thanks for further help!

The 4890 should run skyrim just fine. If you arelooking for a reason to get into the dx11 cards, are you going to be upgrading your monitor eventually or is this the resolution you will have for a while?
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
November 1, 2011 1:09:45 PM

Cygnus x-1 said:
You might be able to play maxed out with the card you already have, unless you need a DX11 card to unlock some graphic options. If you don't plan on a monitor upgrade, a gtx560 or a 6850 will be plenty. If you plan on going 1080p anytime soon, go for a 6950/560ti or better.

These are the exact cards I would recommend in either situation; well done
a b U Graphics card
November 1, 2011 1:14:35 PM

Thank ya sir
November 1, 2011 1:16:39 PM

Hey guys, thanks for a few fast answers. I won't be upgrading my monitor, I will stay at 1280 x 1024 since I don't feel a need for a bigger screen. I want to get DirectX 11 card for all the future games and of course for that extra eye candy in Skyrim. Which card is better FPS wise, GTX 560 or Radeon 6850? Will those two graphic cards be able to keep great FPS with all the beauty mods?
a b U Graphics card
November 1, 2011 1:21:10 PM

Blarzor said:
Hey guys, thanks for a few fast answers. I won't be upgrading my monitor, I will stay at 1280 x 1024 since I don't feel a need for a bigger screen. I want to get DirectX 11 card for all the future games and of course for that extra eye candy in Skyrim. Which card is better FPS wise, GTX 560 or Radeon 6850? Will those two graphic cards be able to retain great FPS with all the beauty mods?

I personally would go with the 560 in this situation; it is slightly faster than the 6850 and overclocks well. At your resolution the 560 will run everything for a while
November 1, 2011 1:29:27 PM

I also forgot to mention, that I use my computer to make videos. Which graphic card has better technology to help accelerate video rendering?
a b U Graphics card
November 1, 2011 1:55:30 PM

What kind of video's, what format? Your best bet is to research what software uses what for acceleration. That way you know what to go for, I think Cuda(Nvidia), is a little ahead of AMD in video creation enabled software, but I could be wrong.

The 560 is a little faster, but both would work for your resolution. To put things in perspective, A gtx 560ti and 6950 are doing pretty well at 1920/1080 in BF3. So a 6850 or a gtx560 should run anything under the sun at 1280 resolution IMO.

a b U Graphics card
November 1, 2011 2:01:35 PM

not just your opinion, they really should run anything at that res. the CUDA cores in nvidia's architecture is usually what people choose for tasking, and the 560 is still faster than the 6850, it should be a no brainer at this point.
November 1, 2011 2:07:11 PM

a 5770 or a 6870 is the best sollution if u need a Nvidia graphics card then a GTX 460 1gb or a GTS450
a b U Graphics card
November 1, 2011 2:07:50 PM

Both the 6850 and the 560 would be great at your resolution but the 560 is slightly better.
a b U Graphics card
November 1, 2011 2:13:47 PM

Kishere said:
a 5770 or a 6870 is the best sollution if u need a Nvidia graphics card then a GTX 460 1gb or a GTS450

why would a 5770 be the best solution? at this point it would be a sidestep for him to upgrade to a 5770. the 6870 would be more of an upgrade, but the 560 would give him better OCing headroom.
November 1, 2011 3:08:22 PM

Ok then, should I get ASUS GeForce GTX 560 "DirectCU" or EVGA GeForce GTX 560 "SuperClocked" which is 10€ more? Btw, reviews say that 6870 is better performance wise??
November 1, 2011 3:11:50 PM

oh i forgot 1 a GTX 560 ti 1gb FPB by EVGA is a good one also for physX and if u need to want to upgrade monitors u can but not a 2560x1600 on it (i think that is the res im not sure tho)
a b U Graphics card
November 1, 2011 3:12:21 PM

I'd go for EVGA they have a great reputation and good warranty.
a b U Graphics card
November 1, 2011 3:13:59 PM

Blarzor said:
Btw, reviews say that 6870 is better pefromance wise??

Better than what?
a b U Graphics card
November 1, 2011 3:40:10 PM

This is all academic. You don't need an GPU upgrade if you don't plan on changing your monitor. An HD 4890 is beyond capable at that resolution regardless of the game. Anything greater is a waste (and actually, the HD 4890 is a waster at that piddly resolution).
a b U Graphics card
November 1, 2011 3:58:23 PM

ASUS GeForce GTX 560 "DirectCU" is a great card - go for the 560 gtx - great power and CUDA for tasking. Better performance than HD 6850. And overclock your i7 if you're able - a higher-end card like this might be bottlenecked at 2.6GHz.

And no, Jeffredo, the HD4890 will not run everything flawlessly at this res - ESPECIALLY new games.
November 1, 2011 4:04:00 PM

your current gpu may be a 6770 or a 5770 now adays but in DX10
November 1, 2011 4:06:10 PM

you may want to oc ur card up .6-1.0GHz
November 1, 2011 4:24:28 PM

Yep. If a gaming card can run Obliovion, it can run Scyrim. Only minor upgrades in graphic department. Good news to owners of older graphic cards.
a b U Graphics card
November 1, 2011 4:39:27 PM

im thinking OP wants a reason to get into DX11, in that case the 560 would be great at his resolution, and the DCII or twin frozr models are awesome
November 1, 2011 4:49:24 PM

Actually I have red a whole three page thread about 560 vs 6870 and guys came to conclusion that 6870 is better and cheaper. It actually goes like this 560 TI>>6870>>560
So I really don't have an idea what to do... To how much would I have to oc my i7 920 to meet the standards of those graphic cards? At the moment I have it on 2,6 ghz.

560 is also 30$ or 20€ more expensive...
a b U Graphics card
November 1, 2011 4:57:12 PM

The 560 is better in some games the 6870 is better in others, the difference in performance is small.

a c 141 U Graphics card
November 1, 2011 7:10:41 PM

Performance wise the 560 and 6870 are pretty much the same, though the 6870 tends to deliver higher minimum framerates than the 560. The 6870 does have much better value in it though, usually selling for a $30 less than the 560. Unless you really need the CUDA support, or you desperately want GPU accelerated physX for the few games that use it; it is hard to recommend the 560 at its current price.
November 1, 2011 7:21:45 PM

the GTX 560 is good say if u get
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

the 6870 is good say if u get
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

overall it comes down to you if you want to play arkham city with phys-X then go for the gtx 560 sure it drops lower but u can always but a 850W-1000W and Crossfire/SLI this is isnt as difficult as you think it is the hard part is cable managment in a case that needs modified for it but we are not talking about that so the gtx 560 is more of a newer card but is it worth it? i would buy the gtx 560 because it is a smooth design but for that free dirt game ill go for the 6870 plus with that u can run 3 display-eyefinity
November 3, 2011 7:44:17 AM

Well which type of 6870 would be good to get? I was looking at the HIS version with ICEQ or something like that... any other great types of this graphic card?
November 3, 2011 11:34:55 AM

Sorry for double posting but I have another question. Would buying a 2gb 6950 actually lower my fps because of my low resolution or not? Because I want a future proof graphic card for games and I don't know how much future proof would 1gb 6870 be.
a b U Graphics card
November 3, 2011 12:47:27 PM

Blarzor said:
Sorry for double posting but I have another question. Would buying a 2gb 6950 actually lower my fps because of my low resolution or not? Because I want a future proof graphic card for games and I don't know how much future proof would 1gb 6870 be.

No it wouldn't lower your FPS at all. 1GB would be fine for your resolution and as for future proof there is no such thing, but at least with a 2GB card you can always upgrade your monitor to a higher res.
November 3, 2011 10:22:05 PM

Hmmm... well does ATI have any useful technology? (like Nvidia's CUDA)
Btw I'm thinking of buying 2gb card because some games like GTA IV already use more than 1 gb. I noticed that with 4890 because I couldn't max it.
a b U Graphics card
November 3, 2011 10:24:13 PM

Even at 1920x1080 you wouldn't need the 2gb, above that and multiple monitors then yeah the 2gb would be the best option. Physx for me and alot of others is usually a wash due to the fact that there are only a handful of games that utilize it, and even though I have NVIDIA I still don't turn it on. If you want ATI and will stick with your same monitor for a while then the 1gb of vram will work very well; the 6870 is a great choices for your res as well as the 560 if you want NVIDIA. Don't judge a card by gta4; it was horribly ported and taxes even the best systems.
a b U Graphics card
November 3, 2011 10:45:05 PM

Here's a novel idea.. Wait until Skyrim Ships/Reviews !! [:grahamlv:3]

WTF, you already have an HD4890 why rush!?! [:thegreatgrapeape:5]

You can start your quest with that if you must play on the first minute of release, however if you want to know what's going to play well with all the best mods, you should probably wait until someone tests those mods. Especially if they use very large 8K textures, etc. Then once you know what will actually play best with the mod packs, THEN upgrade! Seriously what's the rush other than to have the card long before you need it? I could understand it if you needed to buy something like a laptop and were stuck with a specific choice and no 'meantime' option, but sersiously with a desktop, why rush it?

No, this is not Oblivion, just like Oblivion was not Morrowind. It's got alot of similarities and has alot of console focus, but so did Crysis2 pre-mod, and while that was an inefficient mod and the Oblivion ones likely will be more efficient, they likely will also crush anything they can.
Is it DX12.07A ? No!
Does it need to be DX14 to crush cards in a way not seen before... NO! [:fisshy:2]

Anyone with experience of this series and VPUs knows that it's likely going to get pretty ugly (or pretty depending on your view) once the mods start coming.

Do not rely on any information provided by people whose sole understand of what Skyrim is going to use is their having looked at the Minimum and Recommended setups, if you've ever played an ES game before you know that much, especially if you want to use the mods.

You're lucky (and cursed) in wanting to keep a lower res. With lowe res the consumption of resources is less, but at the same time the effect of some of the mods may be lost on you with that low pixel density and that little real estate.

As for editing, find the card for your editing suite. Neither is exclusive in the acceleration department, both have exclusivity on large titles, so find out what your editing suite uses best.
a b U Graphics card
November 3, 2011 10:55:49 PM

FlintIronStagg said:
Even at 1920x1080 you wouldn't need the 2gb...

For What? That's a pretty empty statement, because he mentioned a specific game you ALREADY need more than 1GB for unmoded, let alone a game/series that has some of the heaviest mods out there. :pfff: 

However, once again... WAIT UNTIL THE REVIEWS SHOW YOU THE IMPACT !!! :hello: 

In most scenarios the higher specs of card A outweigh the larger memory of Card B , usually because of very slow memory and other 'trade-offs', but at the same time you may be compromising options not available on another card that doesn't at least have the larger VRAM.
Until you know the impact of Skyrim Mods (heck even turning on all the foliage and other goodies without mods) I wouldn't start advising one way or the other, because there's likely one set of setting in which assumptions will take a kick in the gut.

Personally I see no point in running a 1280x1024 monitor for either Skyrim or for video editing, so that's where I'd spend my money if I already had an HD4890 to keep the pixels warm. But hey, go rush out and buy a new card, help stimulate the economy! [:jaydeejohn:5]
a b U Graphics card
November 3, 2011 11:21:57 PM

TheGreatGrapeApe said:
For What? That's a pretty empty statement, because he mentioned a specific game you ALREADY need more than 1GB for unmoded, let alone a game/series that has some of the heaviest mods out there. :pfff: 

However, once again... WAIT UNTIL THE REVIEWS SHOW YOU THE IMPACT !!! :hello: 

In most scenarios the higher specs of card A outweigh the larger memory of Card B , usually because of very slow memory and other 'trade-offs', but at the same time you may be compromising options not available on another card that doesn't at least have the larger VRAM.
Until you know the impact of Skyrim Mods (heck even turning on all the foliage and other goodies without mods) I wouldn't start advising one way or the other, because there's likely one set of setting in which assumptions will take a kick in the gut.

Personally I see no point in running a 1280x1024 monitor for either Skyrim or for video editing, so that's where I'd spend my money if I already had an HD4890 to keep the pixels warm. But hey, go rush out and buy a new card, help stimulate the economy! [:jaydeejohn:5]

he was referring to gta4 which I don't think is a good example of what games are running like ATM being a horribly done console port. Did OP say he wanted to heavily mod every game he had? Read my first post. If op wants a reason to get a new card, I was giving him suggestions based on what he needs, which in GTA4 is a developer that gives a *** about the PC community. At that res I don't see him needing 2gb unless he really wants to get it and not really see a difference but pay more money
a b U Graphics card
November 3, 2011 11:56:43 PM

FlintIronStagg said:
he was referring to gta4 which I don't think is a good example of what games are running like ATM being a horribly done console port.

I don't really care if you think it's a good example or not, that he also specifically addresses it as a concern and you gloss that over would also makes me guess at how much attention you paid to his comments, or how much you understood what anyone was saying.

That's the advantage of me being me, and you being you. I know whom I'd listen to if I were spending money on a game.. that would be the person who speaks to that game and not in generalities, and also knows more about the topic than you obviously. [:thegreatgrapeape:6]

Quote:
Did OP say he wanted to heavily mod every game he had?

No, but I think the title of the thread gives you a hint of the game he's insterested in focusing on, and for that he sure did say "to play game at ultra settings with beauty mods smoothly."

So you guess where his interest lies and where you should probably try to limit yourself; it would really make things easier for everyone.

Quote:
Read my first post.

No, that would obviously waste my time. :sarcastic: 

Quote:
If op wants a reason to get a new card, I was giving him suggestions based on what he needs, which in GTA4 is a developer that gives a *** about the PC community.

So instead of buying a card to enjoy the game he wants at max settings, and perhaps spending 100 Euros more than he would need otherwise, you're instead suggesting he create a lobby group to petition developers to give a ***? :heink: 

Sounds like alot more work just to play a game "at ultra settings with beauty mods smoothly" , but if you've got more time than money, he sure have at it.

Quote:
At that res I don't see him needing 2gb unless he really wants to get it and not really see a difference but pay more money

I think spending a little more money on the card he needs ONCE he KNOWS needs it would likely be the even wiser choice unless you think the 68xx series card is going to guarantee providing a massive leap/difference at 1280x1024 he will also see. Which kinda speaks to the last sentence in the thread you quote about where best to direct $150-250 Euros.
November 4, 2011 1:50:30 AM

X2 on waiting till the game comes out... we cant really tell you what kind of performance to expect from a game using a certain GPU, when said game hasn't even been released yet..

If you can wait to buy a card till the game is released, and reviews start flooding in, either; 1. dont play the game till you learn which cards will give you the desired performance, or, 2. play the game on medium+ settings using your 4890. Also, if you use your 4890 to play Skyrim, then when the reviews are in and you decide which GPU to buy, when you buy the new GPU, you will notice/enjoy a huge jump in visual quality. Sorta makes the wait a lil more worth while, i think...

But, if you want the card before the game comes out, my vote would be for the 6950;2gb. that card SHOULD give you your desired performance + be able to run new games for a few more years.

Im not going to pretend like i know ANYTHING about video converting/editing, so im not sure if Nvidia or AMD would give you the better video conv performance. So it might be a good idea to research both companies video conv tech. Especially if video conv is a main concern.

hope this helps a lil, good luck, and good gaming!
a b U Graphics card
November 4, 2011 5:53:45 AM

TheGreatGrapeApe said:
I don't really care if you think it's a good example or not, that he also specifically addresses it as a concern and you gloss that over would also makes me guess at how much attention you paid to his comments, or how much you understood what anyone was saying.

That's the advantage of me being me, and you being you. I know whom I'd listen to if I were spending money on a game.. that would be the person who speaks to that game and not in generalities, and also knows more about the topic than you obviously. [:thegreatgrapeape:6]

Quote:

No, but I think the title of the thread gives you a hint of the game he's insterested in focusing on, and for that he sure did say "to play game at ultra settings with beauty mods smoothly."

So you guess where his interest lies and where you should probably try to limit yourself; it would really make things easier for everyone.

Quote:
Read my first post.

In my first post I told op he would be able to run skyrim fine with his current card, and asked if he was just trying to find and excuse to get a dx11 card, and then directed him to which card would be worth his current situation at his resolution which he said he isn't changing. I don't see how a card at his resolution will use over 1gb of ram. There's no reason to be snarky, i just guess writing an entire page of text telling me im a retard isn't a waste of your time when you haven't read the other posts where i asked op the necessary questions to help assess his situation.
Quote:
Ibased on what he needs, which in GTA4 is a developer that gives a *** about the PC community.

So instead of buying a card to enjoy the game he wants at max settings, and perhaps spending 100 Euros more than he would need otherwise, you're instead suggesting he create a lobby group to petition developers to give a ***? :heink: 

Sounds like alot more work just to play a game "at ultra settings with beauty mods smoothly" , but if you've got more time than money, he sure have at it.

Quote:
At that res I don't see him needing 2gb unless he really wants to get it and not really see a difference but pay more money

I think spending a little more money on the card he needs ONCE he KNOWS needs it would likely be the even wiser choice unless you think the 68xx series card is going to guarantee providing a massive leap/difference at 1280x1024 he will also see. Which kinda speaks to the last sentence in the thread you quote about where best to direct $150-250 Euros.

November 4, 2011 7:57:59 AM

As others have stated, waiting is your best option at this point. If you needed to jump the gun and buy soon, I would also recommend the 560. This is only because you mentioned that you do video work. I am not sure what software you use to do this, but current Adobe products take advantage of Cuda cores, where they do not take full advantage of the AMD CPU. You would have to check through your software to see if it does or not, if not, then a 6870 would still be a solid choice (generally speaking).

In my opinion, you will want to upgrade if you are looking to max settings, but i strongly recommend waiting. Once there are some reviews you can purchase the best card for your needs, or the community here will at least have a better idea of how resource hungry this game will be and can better assist you then.
November 4, 2011 8:38:49 AM

TheGreatGrapeApe said:

Quote:

Quote:
Read my first post.

No, that would obviously waste my time. :sarcastic: 

Quote:
If op wants a reason to get a new card, I was giving him suggestions based on what he needs, which in GTA4 is a developer that gives a *** about the PC community.

Quote:

Bit of a troll there mate?

you should know better your a Mod

just coz your a mod mate dont mean u can be a rude person towards other people due to there opionions

this dude resultion is bad he needs a new monitor his current GPU is fine for Skyrim
November 4, 2011 8:58:20 AM

Hey guys, believe me that I would gladly buy a new monitor if I had money, but I don't, so it's not an option. I would rather buy a good gfx card now and monitor somewhere in future. What is the ''normal'' screen size for monitors nowadays anyway? 23'' ?
November 4, 2011 9:26:55 AM

I can't say exactly what the majority believe is the "normal" screen size but personally I use a 27" ASUS. It's great for gaming at 1080p and I also do some 3D animation and video editing.

If you are serious about video editing then I would strongly suggest getting a display with a higher res, if your budget allows - particularly if you need to do FULL HD editing. I currently work with Sony Movie Studio which takes advantage of NVIDIA GTX cards for video acceleration.

If you can't afford a new monitor right now don't stress bacause better and less expensive ones are coming out all the time - look out for the next generation of 120hz 3D monitors!

Hope this helps!
November 4, 2011 9:38:30 AM

Well I definitely won't be buying a new monitor anytime soon, I currently have money only for GFX card. I will probably be buying a max 24" big monitor. To be honest I don't really have a need for a bigger monitor, I'm also not that serious into video editing. I edit about 10 videos a year and that's all. I'm more into gaming. Darn, I wish that Newegg would be sending to Europe, they are so cheap.
a b U Graphics card
November 4, 2011 1:07:40 PM

Blarzor said:
Well I definitely won't be buying a new monitor anytime soon, I currently have money only for GFX card. I will probably be buying a max 24" big monitor. To be honest I don't really have a need for a bigger monitor, I'm also not that serious into video editing. I edit about 10 videos a year and that's all. I'm more into gaming. Darn, I wish that Newegg would be sending to Europe, they are so cheap.

For me it isn't about the size persay; I game on a 23 inch, but it is 1920x1080, which imo was more important than choosing the size was the resolution. If you are set on a card, and not a monitor and want to purchase one for the release of skyrim, and also want a 2gb model, here's a tip; it is your money. Plain and simple. I doubt you would need the 2gb but if you want to go for it as not " future proof", but a necessary precaution, then go for it! Its your money. Although your current card at that res should play just fine, I know how it is to have a card to play just fine but go buy a brand new one out of the itch to get a new dx11 card, I was in the same boat when I got my 570, and even though some think I should have waited or got the wrong card, I am happy with it and that's what matters cause in the end it was my money. If you want it, don't justify it to us. If your monitor stays the same because YOU want it to, realize the resolution not the size is what people are taking about moreso with an upgrade, because lets be honest your current resolution isn't very high. With that said, your money your decision, I suggest if you wont be persuaded by others and want a card now with 2gb just to be safe, then go for it!
a b U Graphics card
November 4, 2011 1:14:34 PM

FlintIronStagg said:
For me it isn't about the size persay; I game on a 23 inch, but it is 1920x1080, which imo was more important than choosing the size was the resolution. If you are set on a card, and not a monitor and want to purchase one for the release of skyrim, and also want a 2gb model, here's a tip; it is your money. Plain and simple. I doubt you would need the 2gb but if you want to go for it as not " future proof", but a necessary precaution, then go for it! Its your money. Although your current card at that res should play just fine, I know how it is to have a card to play just fine but go buy a brand new one out of the itch to get a new dx11 card, I was in the same boat when I got my 570, and even though some think I should have waited or got the wrong card, I am happy with it and that's what matters cause in the end it was my money. If you want it, don't justify it to us. If your monitor stays the same because YOU want it to, realize the resolution not the size is what people are taking about moreso with an upgrade, because lets be honest your current resolution isn't very high. With that said, your money your decision, I suggest if you wont be persuaded by others and want a card now with 2gb just to be safe, then go for it!

+1
a b U Graphics card
November 4, 2011 3:32:55 PM

bowzef said:
Bit of a troll there mate?

Not a troll, FACT to shine light on and disinfect the BS.

Quote:
you should know better your a Mod

One has nothing to do with the other. :non: 

Quote:
just coz your a mod mate dont mean u can be a rude person towards other people due to there opionions

No, it has nothing to do with me being a mod, my being a mod was about my knowledge and even-handedness in my criticisms/punishment, not my cheery personality. :ange: 

I'm rude to him because he's talking BS, and seems resistant to the clarification yet he still rumbles forward towards his path of ignorant. I don't suffer n00bs mildly, and this forum is now full of n00bs who think that since they read Wikipedia they suddenly are good advisors. Perhaps they seems so and have better advice compared to the other n00bs here, but not compared to anyone who actually knows better.

Quote:
this dude resultion is bad he needs a new monitor his current GPU is fine for Skyrim

Yeah which was mentioned a few times, but still doesn't excuse FullOfS's BS advice because he obviously didn't read what was written and obviously knows nothing of the games being discussed nor that there are many games out that will take advantage of more memory without GTA4's issues.

You wanna defend bad advice so people spend their hard earned money on crap, that's up to you. I tend to see that advice as worse than hurting someone's feelings. :pfff: 
a b U Graphics card
November 4, 2011 4:26:26 PM

So now we are making posters names into obscenities? Very mature. I have tried to help OP make a decision based on what he wants, but also letting him know how seemingly that others are correct in their assessments of his current gpu and also monitor situation. In the end his money buys it, and if he is set on what he had said over and over what he wants, then ill try and help him make the right decision on a gpu, because it seems to me he doesn't want to take the new monitor advice. Just because I say go get your new card to him with some enthusiasm isn't lack of knowledge, but that of understanding because I've been there done that and been told to sit on my old gpu.... Alot of times it boils down to OP having all of the options there, and they certainly have been brought to the table by everyone from his monitor to his current and potentially future purchase. If he wants to jump on the new gpu bandwagon right now, then his best choice is clear; if he decides to wait and take your advice then good for him, hopefully a new monitor and a new gpu later.... Its HIS money and HIS decision. Im done posting here, I feel a bit disrespected with the making names with obscenities bit and shall take the higher road and bow out. Good day.
a b U Graphics card
November 4, 2011 4:36:13 PM

There are moderators here that will post in the hope of correcting a members idea's or opinions. A mod like JSC or Jaydee, do it without being insulting or rude. You gain no credibility by saying, our forums are filled with noobs(again being insulting), and calling peoples post bs and things of that nature.

What wrong with politely disagreeing? As a mod your excuse for being rude is because you don't agree with someone, is piss poor and childish as hell. Maybe you and Baron have coffee on sundays.
a b U Graphics card
November 4, 2011 5:00:09 PM

TheGreatGrapeApe you long lost all credibility by behaving like a petty child, the fact that you have to use lots of smilies to try and make your point, and use the word "n00b" proves your lack of maturity and intelligence.
a b U Graphics card
November 4, 2011 5:32:33 PM

One last post. OP, the options are there for you. Like I have and many others have said your 4890 should run it fine if you are having trouble deciding on what to do. I am not trying to waste your money as it had seemingly been accused. The reasons everyone has mentioned your monitor is the low resolution, and at that resolution the 4890 should run pretty much everything just fine. I mentioned it to you, and you don't want a new monitor, but a new card.... Ok, you know the option and have turned it down, now its time to assess what card you want. New monitor with old card will give you a better resolution and picture quality to enjoy the eye candy, but a new gpu will give you more power. The choice is yours i couldn't care less if you went for my idea just because it isn't my choice..... And wont get all upset about others opinions to the point to where i would take them personally and start to call names and degrade others. If you are wanting ab upgrade now, then be safe and get what you want, we all know skyrim is going to be directed towards consoles and not be too demanding until the mods come out. Whatever decision you make, you have your options, and i hope you pick what you are going to be happy with. Good luck
!