Just Built My First PC, But I'm Having Networking Problems

bobthedeadly

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2011
I just built my first PC, but after plugging it into my router I am having trouble connecting to the internet. Or rather, I'm having trouble connecting to certain parts of the internet. I can connect to Steam, download games, go on Google, G+, Youtube (Google-owned sites), but beyond that I can't load almost anything. No Facebook, no Amazon, nothing. I think this is a port issue, but I cannot figure out how to fix it. It is not just the router, because my laptop with Windows 7 can use this ethernet cable just fine to connect to any site I want. I can't figure out how to get into any sort of port settings to fix this.

Can someone help me please??

Specs (in case they help):

Mobo: ASUS M5A97
CPU: AMD FX 3.3 GHz 6 core (Zambezi)
PSU: Corsair CX600W (I'm having some trouble with that too; I think I have it figured out though.)
RAM: 2x4 GB 1866 (Don't remember the brand, let me know if it is helpful and I'll find out)
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560
HDD: 500 GB 7200 RPM WD

Thanks

hmmm. It almost sounds browser related. I don't think ports have anything to do with it.

Are you using the drivers from the disk? I would update all your drivers from the manufacturers website, especially the ethernet drivers. Try that and report back. additionally, try several different browsers to see if that is an issue.

bobthedeadly

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2011
Whoops, can't believe I forgot the OS. Windows 7 Pro x64.

I installed all the drivers from the Mobo disk, and the most recent NVIDIA drivers. I looked for more recent drivers specifically for the ethernet jack on the Mobo but the most recent one I could find seemed to be the same one I already had installed.

I've tried with Google Chrome, Firefox, and IE. None of them will connect to anything other than google hosted things.

EDIT: I went looking for updated drivers on the ASUS website - I can't even find my mobo listed in their product list! I bought this brand new, three days ago!

Also, forgot to mention, I have this problem when Windows Firewall is both on and off. I can't even install any other Virus protection/firewall software, because I am unable to update it even if I do copy the downloaded install file from another computer.

bobthedeadly

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2011

I just tried that, to no avail.

Thank you. I will download those and copy them over, install, and see what happens.

bobthedeadly

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2011
So I reinstalled the LAN drivers, but I am having the same problem. I cannot load most websites that I use day to day. I can connect to Steam (not the store, but I can log in and download games), Google-hosted sites (Google, Google Plus, Youtube), and the Rockstar Social Club (When I launch GTA IV, I can log into the Rockstar Social Club. Can't log into GFWL though...). This is a very strange problem.

EDIT: It is worth mentioning that I do have a wireless card in this computer, though it does not reach my wireless signal where I would like to have it set up. However, when I moved the PC and used the wireless connection instead of the wired one, I could connect to the internet no problem. The ethernet cable itself is fine; I can use it with a different PC to connect to the internet with no issues whatsoever. Is it possible the ethernet port on the mobo is screwed up somehow?

Petrofsky

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2008
My old Linksys BEFW11S4 router did this sort of thing from time to time---let me connect to some sites but not others. I'd reset it, and everything would be fine. It could be that your router went haywire between the time you had the laptop connected and the desktop. I'd pull the router power for a minute just to see. Try a different input jack on the router, maybe.

But the problem screams firewall, doesn't it? Are you sure you disabled all firewalls?

Sure, your ethernet controller could be malfunctioning. Try uninstalling it in ControlPanel/DeviceManager (and the drivers), then reboot and let Windows reinstall it. It doesn't matter if Windows uses the Asus driver just to see if that fixes it. You can always update the driver afterwards. Your mobo could be broken, but it strikes me as strange that it would have just this one bizarre malfunction.

bobthedeadly

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2011
Just tried that; no dice. Windows Firewall is disabled, and that is the only firewall I know of. I haven't installed any other sort of virus protection or firewall software, because even if I were to copy the installer file over from another computer, it wouldn't be able to update itself. Is there any other default firewall that comes with Windows 7? This is the first PC I have built on my own, so I don't have too much experience with this sort of problem.

EDIT: Also, it's not the router. Several other computers are using it to connect to the internet just fine. I've switched around the cables and jacks and whatnot, and it continues to be only this computer that will not work correctly. I got this hard drive used; as a temporary while I waited for my new one to show up (2-4 weeks - silly christmas, making people busy...). I got it from a computer expert friend of mine who loves to screw around with Linux, set up servers, create proxies, all sorts of stuff I don't quite understand. I completely wiped the disk before installing Windows 7 on it, but is it possible that this problem is some leftover network hack thing he put on the disk a long time ago? It seems extremely unlikely, but that's the only part that isn't 100% new, and I can't think what the problem could possibly be.

bobthedeadly

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2011
No one has any ideas? I'm completely stumped here. I've tried everything I can think of - reinstalling OS, reinstalling Mobo drivers, using different ethernet cables. This is a really strange problem and I can't for the life of me figure out what could be the problem.

Petrofsky

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2008

Just spitballing---parental controls? some other kind of filtering like SafeSearch? somehow less-than-full router access?

Go into Network and Sharing and let Windows troubleshoot.

bobthedeadly

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2011

Yeah, I let it troubleshoot. The first time, it says "you are successfully connected to the internet," and if I continue it says "troubleshooter couldn't identify the problem."

Petrofsky

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2008

My thinking was to see whether there was something amiss in the adapter settings. I think Windows would catch that. But, no dice. I'm giving the mobo ethernet hardware the evil eye at this point, but I'm in over my head, here.

bobthedeadly

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2011

Yeah, me too. Is there somewhere I can go where someone can take a look at it for free? I've heard good things about Microcenter; could they help? I should try taking the PC over to a friend's house, and see if it really is a problem with the computer, or a compatibility issue with my setup at home.

bobthedeadly

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2011
What's interesting is that when I plug in an old wireless card I had, and move the PC to an area where it gets wireless, I can load any site I please. I'm really starting to think this is a motherboard issue. I hate to send it back, but I really don't know what else to do at this point.

EDIT: It's fixed! While I was in wireless range, I decided to download all the Windows 7 updates I could find so that I'm at least up to date when I'm offline. I guess one of them along the way must have done it, because I am good to go now! Thanks a lot to everyone who helped me. I really appreciate it. This is a good community; I will stick around.