Strange Problems, Need Some Advice...

ethman101

Honorable
Feb 15, 2013
Hello, I recently assembled a new rig, roughly six months ago. The specs are listed below. On my first boot, all was swell, and everything continued to function normally for quite a while. After about two months, I decided I needed to dual boot because coding was becoming too bothersome on Windows as my school's servers were Unix based.

The dual boot did not go well. In fact, it failed miserably. I got problem after problem, tried everything known to man, but I simply couldn't get a single Linux distribution to live boot, much less to install. When I finally gave it up, I couldn't boot back into Windows. I don't remember exactly why, but I ended up having to reinstall windows on my backup SSD. This all went fine, Windows was up and running, but when I went to plug in all of my other SATA devices, a CD drive, unformatted SSD and HDD, everything went crazy. I do not know how to describe it exactly, but when certain devices are plugged into certain SATA ports, other SATA ports are not recognized. The weird thing is, that there is no rhyme or reason to it, there are no patterns, and it changes completely randomly. Sometimes my computer simply won't boot, because the SATA port with my boot drive in it just does not get recognized. Other times, it will recognize my boot drive, but my storage drive and my CD drive will not be recognized. When I say recognized, I mean in the BIOS as well as windows. It is as if they do not exist. I have tried multiple different SATA cables, power cables, and nothing seems to make any difference. I have updated my bios, reinstalled all my drivers, and tried other peoples storage devices, all to no avail.

At this point, I will say that I am only referring to the Intel Controlled SATA ports, not the AsMedia ones, which don't seem to work at all, even with the drivers installed. As of now, I am getting newer problems. For example, my boot times have tripled, and everytime I boot it seems to lockup on the Asus splashscreen for 25 or so seconds. Note, none of this was the case before I tried to install linux, all of this started immediately after.

I'm sorry for the essay, but I really, really need help with this. I don't know where to even begin troubleshooting, but I think it is either my Mobo of PSU. Please help!

Asus Maximus V Formula
2 OCZ Vertex IV SSD
16GB Corsair Dominator 2133mhz
Intel 3770k
Corsair H100
Silverstone Strider 1000w modular PSU
WD 1tb HDD
2 MSI 660 GTX in SLI

Regards,

Ethan

ethman101

Honorable
Feb 15, 2013
Yeah, I've tried a full reformat on every drive. I don't think it's a drive problem as the problem still exists with my untouched, unformatted HDD as well as my CD drive...

ethman101

Honorable
Feb 15, 2013
Yeah, I've tried a full reformat on every drive. I don't think it's a drive problem as the problem still exists with my untouched, unformatted HDD as well as my CD drive...

iineviidable

Honorable
Jan 11, 2013

Could very well be a motherboard issue.

I know if you have too many devices in pci slots you end up with a bandwidth problem.

There could be something similar with sata cables.

iineviidable

Honorable
Jan 11, 2013

All i can really suggest in this awkward situation is try using a different motherboard with the same hard drives and everything, but you would have to reinstall windows/linux.